Author Topic: Ideas to Fix All Star Weekend?...  (Read 6160 times)

Re: Ideas to Fix All Star Weekend?...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 08:46:40 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
let the dance team girls from each nba team shake their stuff all over the basketball court for 3 hours - they can take turns, even make it a contest (and in today's world, they don't give out trophies for placement but for participation)...that would hold my attention for 3 hours...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'd like to see them lengthen the slam dunk competition. Four competitors is too few, go back to a larger field. Also allow the players to make a few more dunks. And ban anyone who pulls that crap Dwight pulled with the telephone box.

I'd also be interested in seeing them lengthen the three point shooting field, maybe to 10 players. Use both ends of the court to avoid the shooters getting cold while they wait for the final round.

Another change I'd like to see, is the return of the rookie game. I don't like this rookie-sophomore garbage, it's too one sided, how many times in a row have the second year players won? Is it 8 times now? I want to see more of the rookies. I loved seeing all those rookies get a chance to compete.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
let the dance team girls from each nba team shake their stuff all over the basketball court for 3 hours - they can take turns, even make it a contest (and in today's world, they don't give out trophies for placement but for participation)...that would hold my attention for 3 hours...

cheerleader death match
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 02:10:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Flavor Flav should color commentate the dunk contest.

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Pick players who should actually be in them. Average players keep performing in the three point and dunk contests, and it's not good enough.

The skills competition doesn't even have the most skilful players - are you telling me Mo Williams, Devin Harris and Tony Parker are more skilful than Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo or Steve Nash? It's silly.

Shooting stars is literally a horrible waste of time.

To be honest, I'm starting to completely lose interest in the whole weekend. It's getting worse and worse. Thankfully Shaq was there this year, otherwise it would have been a complete waste of time.

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

cheerleader death match

plenty of mud...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
OK, here's a serious suggestion that will never happen because it's not practical, but it would be fun to see.

Take 64 players.  Seed them.  Have them match up head to head with one other player in a 5 shot 3 point contest (one from each spot on the regular 3 point course).  If you get more shots than your opponent you move on to the next round.  If it's a tie you go to a 1 shot sudden death format. 
Yup

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 03:00:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like the idea of the skills competition but I think they need more tasks in the event. I don't know exactly what, maybe to hit three straight jump shots instead of one shot, a few more passing targets, maybe a moving passing target. Just more.

The events are too short when compared to all the ads, commentary, hype, and waiting.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
60 to 80 minute all-star game, fixed rotation (to give everyone the same time on the court) with about twice the number of all-stars. This would:
- create an even field for picking All-Star MVP;
- have us see more players in the game;
- give us more to watch.

Making horse a main event would be awesome too :)

The dunk contest would have been more awesome with some bigger names. It's a *star* weekend, so the biggest stars should automatically be in. Also, I kind of liked the show-element Nate and Dwight brought. Superman vs Krypto-Nate was a great idea and really added to the whole "show" thing. Having 4 people in a single round doesn't work by the way. They should do it tournament style: a vs b, winner advances to the next round. Stop rating dunks, it sucks. It's about showing off anyway :)

But honestly, I loved the All-Star break. It was entertaining :D

Since the game has very few fouls, it moves very quickly so the fans really don't have that long of a game to watch. A longer game would certainly be nice.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
All I know is that I am SHOCKED that for the very first ever game of HORSE(GEICO), that they didn't have Antoine as a Participant.   You want Personality?  There ya go!  Besides, his shot-attempts all look like shots in a game of HORSE, anyway. ;D