Author Topic: Ideas to Fix All Star Weekend?...  (Read 6159 times)

Ideas to Fix All Star Weekend?...
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Seems like most people agree that all star weekend is a disaster.  "The SHooting Stars" and "Skills" competitions are horribly boring and pointless. 

What events would you like to see replace them?

I like that they finally had a HORSE competition, but there was no reason to make it a "2nd tier" event.  I'd rather watch Durant chuck 40 footers in a HORSE competition than watch Michael Cooper and some WNBA player shoot half court shots in some stupid "shooting stars" thing.

I think one that SImmons mentioned a while ago was a 1 on 1 tourney.  Who wouldn't want to see Kobe Vs LeBron to 11? 

I'll start with my friend's suggestion even though little silly and probably wouldn't work (I told him the NBA had tried something like it in the past, but the players kept getting hurt so they discontinued it).   He said he wanted to see a legends game... but not just a random assembling of players.  He wants to see full teams recreated right down to the bench warmers as a "20 year reunion" game of the NBA finals.  Dumb for a number of reasons, but I can see why he'd want to watch the 87 Celtics face off against the 87 Lakers... even though it would mean watching a bunch of old guys make fools of themselves.   I guess since it would be a "20 year reunion", this allstar weekend would have featured the 89 Pistons vs the 89 Lakers and in a couple of years we'd get to watch Jordan and Pippen take on Magic and co.   Heh... it's a funny idea, because you imagine that whoever was the youngest player on those teams would probably be young enough now to actually play some decent ball.    Example... in two years Vlade would only be like 42... whereas a recreation of the 89 Lakers would feature a 61 year old Kareem.  Lol. 

Alright... whose got some better ideas?

Re: Ideas to Fix All Star Weekend?...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
they should do "bad contract" 1 vs 1, where each team gets to put one player in, who if they are the ultimate loser of the tournament gets his contract revoked (and all their money) from the team and league - imagine Mark Blount actually working at trying to keep his 6+ mil per year... it'd be fantastic
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Legends of Coaching Chess Tournament?

They could have a competition along the lines of the old Super Stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM3BEc49iHg
Yup

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
All star weekend is fine. It is the only interesting all star event in sports.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
This would only work for a year or two but the HORSE GEICO contest should be Pierce vs Lebron vs Kobe for the next two years. Having arguably the three best sf/sgs in the league each representing one of the three best teams would make it a must watch event.

I saw and posted this a few days ago but if your going to forcefully integrate the WNBA into the event then why not D-lEague all stars vs rookies Friday night or maybe just have the D league slam dunk champ compete against the NBA guys

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Add more referees...they fix the rest of the games.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i say let the fans vote from selected participates who competes in the skill challenges... the rookie game should be a full game. horse should be indoors.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:12:56 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
They need more big names in these things.  People want Ray Allen and Dirk in the 3 pt contest.  People want to see if VC still has the hops.  The skills challenge this year, the guys hardly even put any effort in.  I wish DWill or CP3 were in it, just so maybe they would have put up a good time and pushed these guys.  Also, I wish they could add Horse to the saturday night events, but it did take quite some time to finish.
do it

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 11:27:03 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Add more referees...they fix the rest of the games.

TP, two words for fixing the All Star game... Tim Donaghy.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
i say let the fans vote from selected participates who competes in the skill challenges... the rookie game should be a full game. horse should be indoors.
Does horse being outdoors really make a difference?

I think it should have been later in the day though.

Problem with the skills challenge is it seems they only pick players who are already involved in other events (all star game, rookie game, etc). Limited possible participants.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 12:32:41 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Seems like most people agree that all star weekend is a disaster.  "The SHooting Stars" and "Skills" competitions are horribly boring and pointless. 

What events would you like to see replace them?

I like that they finally had a HORSE competition, but there was no reason to make it a "2nd tier" event.  I'd rather watch Durant chuck 40 footers in a HORSE competition than watch Michael Cooper and some WNBA player shoot half court shots in some stupid "shooting stars" thing.

I think one that SImmons mentioned a while ago was a 1 on 1 tourney.  Who wouldn't want to see Kobe Vs LeBron to 11? 

I'll start with my friend's suggestion even though little silly and probably wouldn't work (I told him the NBA had tried something like it in the past, but the players kept getting hurt so they discontinued it).   He said he wanted to see a legends game... but not just a random assembling of players.  He wants to see full teams recreated right down to the bench warmers as a "20 year reunion" game of the NBA finals.  Dumb for a number of reasons, but I can see why he'd want to watch the 87 Celtics face off against the 87 Lakers... even though it would mean watching a bunch of old guys make fools of themselves.   I guess since it would be a "20 year reunion", this allstar weekend would have featured the 89 Pistons vs the 89 Lakers and in a couple of years we'd get to watch Jordan and Pippen take on Magic and co.   Heh... it's a funny idea, because you imagine that whoever was the youngest player on those teams would probably be young enough now to actually play some decent ball.    Example... in two years Vlade would only be like 42... whereas a recreation of the 89 Lakers would feature a 61 year old Kareem.  Lol. 

Alright... whose got some better ideas?

know what, in the all star game of the local pro league in our country they did that a few years ago. the game put the actual all star game into a backseat. the araneta coliseum(venue of thrilla in manila) was packed to the rafters.

there was these 2 70s team that were real bitter rivals. kinda like celtics-lakers in the 80s. star studded lineup, heated matchups. both have awesome fanbase.

they got all the old coaches, old players(some have already died or murdered but theres a lot of players anyway) even old commentators and referees.

the match was very competitive even though the players are in their 50s or more. my dad described it in one word- nostalgic.

there were tons of techs given out, the player of the game said their opponents were very very dirty and nothing has changed. heck there was even a referee substitution (the ref was in his 60s i think)

imagine 30 years from now c's versus the fakers.. 50+ yr old vujacic crying, 62 yr old kg screaming at the top of his lungs

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 01:05:37 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It needs to have a real dunk contest again, but I think with how next year is shaping up we'll see that.  I just want to see Wade and LeBron in the dunk contest.

Like everyone on the internet has said, HORSE was good but would have been better with personalities.

But the biggest flaw is the fan voting.  You always hear groans with the big omissions but I am hopeful that this year, with AI starting and Al Jefferson and Kevin Durant excluded and all, we can finally get rid of it.  I almost wish Yi won starting forward so we could be done with it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 02:16:24 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
It needs to have a real dunk contest againquote]

I agree, I like VC's 360 reverse windmill waaaayyyyyy more than the superman dunk or krypto-nate dunk.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 05:31:42 AM »

Kiorrik

60 to 80 minute all-star game, fixed rotation (to give everyone the same time on the court) with about twice the number of all-stars. This would:
- create an even field for picking All-Star MVP;
- have us see more players in the game;
- give us more to watch.

Making horse a main event would be awesome too :)

The dunk contest would have been more awesome with some bigger names. It's a *star* weekend, so the biggest stars should automatically be in. Also, I kind of liked the show-element Nate and Dwight brought. Superman vs Krypto-Nate was a great idea and really added to the whole "show" thing. Having 4 people in a single round doesn't work by the way. They should do it tournament style: a vs b, winner advances to the next round. Stop rating dunks, it sucks. It's about showing off anyway :)

But honestly, I loved the All-Star break. It was entertaining :D

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 06:39:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I think that all stars should have the same mentality as Shaq had. This game is about fun and entertaining the fans and not about winning. I prefer to watch ONeal try to shoot for 3 or guard the point guard rather than watching kobe playing for himself.