Author Topic: rank our needs  (Read 7943 times)

Re: rank our needs
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 09:39:15 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd say the following:

-size up front
-wing help
-point guard

Point guard we can do without if Rondo can play 38 mpg in the playoffs.  We can get by with Pierce or Ray running the offense for 10 mpg.  Size and wing help are about even, I put size first because if we can get bigger, we could potentially cover the backup 2/3 spot by sliding Garnett down to the 3.

In another thread, I posted the following scenario: Game 7, ECF, C's vs. Cavs, 10 minutes left in the 4th, Pierce gets his 5th foul.  Who do you bring in if Tony Allen isn't healthy?  If Joe Smith is on the team, maybe you bring him in, and slide Garnett to the 3.  If that's the case, he's more important than any wing we could pick up. 

yeah, it's a real question. forgetting the Finals for a sec, there are real players that we need to game plan for and need to figure a way to get Ray and Paul some time to just focus their energy on scoring....

just go right down the list:

LeBron
Joe johnson
DWade
Turk
Iguodala

Obviously LeBron is the big one because he is a beast and his team is better than the others, but we need to think about having someone that we can at least throw out there.

that's why i would also argue that we need to throw Walker to the wolves here and see if he can step up because i just don't see the defensive wing options out there.

I agree.  I understand why people like Pruitt, because he's played OK in limited time.  However, I don't think he's going to get PG minutes over House/Marbury and I don't see how he can fit the bill of covering the players you just mentioned when Pierce isn't in the game. 

I'd love to see Walker get a crack too.  Maybe even Giddens.  He has long arms and is pretty tenacious.  He could fit that stopper role too. 

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Are people really that comfortable with the rookies, Scal or House backing up Ray and Paul? Aren't they worried about Tony Allen not coming back on time to help us or coming back out of form? Frankly, I'd much welcome someone like Joe Smith, but I can't understand how our biggest need isn't a backup swingman. 
I'm worried about that too, but the memories of Gasol conducting a shooting drill over Baby and Powe are pretty fresh.  Plus, the likeliest sort of player to shake loose later today is a wing who can play some D.

I see your point, but I don't know if we're going to meet Gasol again this season if we're going to rely on House and Scal as our backup swingmen.

Big Z also shot over Baby in the playoffs last season. 

Ideally, we'll fix both situations. And it looks like that adding another big may be easier. However, if Tony Allen isn't coming back healthy for the playoffs the priority is clear: our biggest need is a wing. At least we have Baby and Powe as backup bigs. 

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
With KG's injury, I move SF/SG ahead of a PG.

The reason is the Celtics now must play Scali at PF more with KG injured. 

Pierce (and Ray) are now going to have to pay more minutes without Scali being able to play 10 or so minutes at SF. 

I don't want to see Pierce and/or Ray gassed by the time KG returns.

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 11:47:34 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Pierce (and Ray) are now going to have to pay more minutes without Scali being able to play 10 or so minutes at SF. 

Yes, a SF/SG would really help at this point of the season but we have to think forward. We really need a backup point guard come playoff time because we weren't exactly unstoppable last year in the playoffs with Eddie House. I really think Marbury could help us.

1, Backup big
2. Backup point guard
3. Backup swingman
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Yes, a SF/SG would really help at this point of the season but we have to think forward. We really need a backup point guard come playoff time because we weren't exactly unstoppable last year in the playoffs with Eddie House. I really think Marbury could help us.

1, Backup big
2. Backup point guard
3. Backup swingman

I would like a backup PG by the time the playoff roll around, but I would be more concerned with a gassed Pierce/Ray then I would with House/Pruitt play PG.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
It would be nice to pick up a solid wing player, but I do not see this happening. I think the Celtics can get by with Moore and Marbury. They're not the ideal candidates for the job, but we will have to work with them.

With Marbury running the point with the second unit, House will be able to solely play the two guard position. Doc should put Scal at the three, Powe/Baby at the four, and Moore at the five. With this lineup we will have good size in the front court. Scalabrine can also stretch the floor a little bit. However, most of the second unit points will come from House and Marbury gunning. With all that being said, I would feel confident if this was our team.

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

1, Backup big
2. Backup point guard
3. Backup swingman

I would like a backup PG by the time the playoff roll around, but I would be more concerned with a gassed Pierce/Ray then I would with House/Pruitt play PG.

Plan A: Sign Marbury. Move House to the two guard position. Scal plays the back up 3. BBD/Powe and Moore or Smith, our backup bigs.

Plan B: Give Walkers more minutes.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

1, Backup big
2. Backup point guard
3. Backup swingman

Plan A: Sign Marbury. Move House to the two guard position. Scal plays the back up 3. BBD/Powe and Moore or Smith, our backup bigs.

Plan B: Give Walkers more minutes.

You forgot one.

Plan C: Danny calls up the unheralded KungPoweChicken to show these hacks how to ball.

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Joe Smith!
Give Walker some burn if he can't give us 10 minutes a game quality at sf then sf is our next need.
I think our backup pg is fine with Pruitt, House and RAY ALLEN bringing the ball up if someone is pressuring House.

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Backup Point
Backup Center
Backup Wing

In short our biggest need is a bench :P