Author Topic: rank our needs  (Read 7938 times)

Re: rank our needs
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 10:52:58 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Size at Center
Size at Center
Eddie off the ball.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 11:11:21 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
1. Joe Smith
2. Marbury
3. I don't care

;D

Haha.  While I'll wish him the best while he's here, until it's formalized I'm not going to advocate for Starbury.  He's one of my least favorite players in the NBA.

I can understand why people don't like him for sure - but there should be no doubt he can ball - and that's what this team needs right now.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 11:16:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1. Joe Smith
2. Marbury
3. I don't care

;D

Haha.  While I'll wish him the best while he's here, until it's formalized I'm not going to advocate for Starbury.  He's one of my least favorite players in the NBA.

I can understand why people don't like him for sure - but there should be no doubt he can ball - and that's what this team needs right now.

Because the only time he helps his team win is when he stops playing for them.

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Are people really that comfortable with the rookies, Scal or House backing up Ray and Paul? Aren't they worried about Tony Allen not coming back on time to help us or coming back out of form? Frankly, I'd much welcome someone like Joe Smith, but I can't understand how our biggest need isn't a backup swingman. 

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Are people really that comfortable with the rookies, Scal or House backing up Ray and Paul? Aren't they worried about Tony Allen not coming back on time to help us or coming back out of form? Frankly, I'd much welcome someone like Joe Smith, but I can't understand how our biggest need isn't a backup swingman. 
I'm worried about that too, but the memories of Gasol conducting a shooting drill over Baby and Powe are pretty fresh.  Plus, the likeliest sort of player to shake loose later today is a wing who can play some D.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Nice topic, shoulda done a poll.

1)Defensive oriented center thats 6'10 plus and can hit the occasional jumper so someone else (Powe) can be in the lane.

2) Wing defender that defend big 3's and big 2's, and also hit an outside shot

To me those are our 2 needs.

Yup, Yup!

3. A solid backup 1 would be gravy

I'm really curious to see if a move is made for the wing... Might as well give Walker some serious burn in the 2nd quarter of games and see what he has in a non-blowout game.

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
We need a big defensive wing who can shoot like Posey. Then a backup big man, long of course.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm worried about that too, but the memories of Gasol conducting a shooting drill over Baby and Powe are pretty fresh.  Plus, the likeliest sort of player to shake loose later today is a wing who can play some D.

I see your point, but I don't know if we're going to meet Gasol again this season if we're going to rely on House and Scal as our backup swingmen.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I see your point, but I don't know if we're going to meet Gasol again this season if we're going to rely on House and Scal as our backup swingmen.

Big Z also shot over Baby in the playoffs last season. 

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I totally agree that a defensive wing is #1 need, but those guys are just not on the horizon.

plus, a guy like Joe Smith does help against somone like LeBron or Joe Smith because he is a really good trap defender. So that does take some pressure off whoever is guarding them (most of the time Paul without Pose around)

so Smith, while not solving the lack of a backup defensive wing, would help in that department anyway...

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I totally agree that a defensive wing is #1 need, but those guys are just not on the horizon.

plus, a guy like Joe Smith does help against somone like LeBron or Joe Smith because he is a really good trap defender. So that does take some pressure off whoever is guarding them (most of the time Paul without Pose around)

so Smith, while not solving the lack of a backup defensive wing, would help in that department anyway...

Also helps in that Perk can be more aggressive with the stepping out to help on Lebron.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Big Z also shot over Baby in the playoffs last season. 

length would be nice too...

ideally i would like to get a defensive wing and big.....save that i would like a defensive big and a shooting wing...

but who else is even going to get bought out....is the list even that long at this point?

if we get Smith, is there some shooting SF in the NBDL we could pick up?

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 09:15:53 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Also helps in that Perk can be more aggressive with the stepping out to help on Lebron.

Yes. Perk is also very good at trapping. although i'd rather have the inevitable fouls be picked up by Smith...

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd say the following:

-size up front
-wing help
-point guard

Point guard we can do without if Rondo can play 38 mpg in the playoffs.  We can get by with Pierce or Ray running the offense for 10 mpg.  Size and wing help are about even, I put size first because if we can get bigger, we could potentially cover the backup 2/3 spot by sliding Garnett down to the 3.

In another thread, I posted the following scenario: Game 7, ECF, C's vs. Cavs, 10 minutes left in the 4th, Pierce gets his 5th foul.  Who do you bring in if Tony Allen isn't healthy?  If Joe Smith is on the team, maybe you bring him in, and slide Garnett to the 3.  If that's the case, he's more important than any wing we could pick up. 

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 09:33:16 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I'd say the following:

-size up front
-wing help
-point guard

Point guard we can do without if Rondo can play 38 mpg in the playoffs.  We can get by with Pierce or Ray running the offense for 10 mpg.  Size and wing help are about even, I put size first because if we can get bigger, we could potentially cover the backup 2/3 spot by sliding Garnett down to the 3.

In another thread, I posted the following scenario: Game 7, ECF, C's vs. Cavs, 10 minutes left in the 4th, Pierce gets his 5th foul.  Who do you bring in if Tony Allen isn't healthy?  If Joe Smith is on the team, maybe you bring him in, and slide Garnett to the 3.  If that's the case, he's more important than any wing we could pick up. 

yeah, it's a real question. forgetting the Finals for a sec, there are real players that we need to game plan for and need to figure a way to get Ray and Paul some time to just focus their energy on scoring....

just go right down the list:

LeBron
Joe johnson
DWade
Turk
Iguodala

Obviously LeBron is the big one because he is a beast and his team is better than the others, but we need to think about having someone that we can at least throw out there.

that's why i would also argue that we need to throw Walker to the wolves here and see if he can step up because i just don't see the defensive wing options out there.