Author Topic: The good and the bad of the Cassell and Allen news.  (Read 1924 times)

The good and the bad of the Cassell and Allen news.
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Good:

- With Allen out for the rest of the regular and the unlikelihood of the Celtics being able to pick up someone, Doc should have no other option than to play Pruitt at the backup 1 and Eddie at the backup 2. As much as Pruitt might not be 100% ready to contribute the way that Doc would like him to, I think putting a player at the backup point that can handle the ball better than Eddie and Tony and still be able to hit the occasional three and forcing Eddie into his more natural role of shooting guard is better than the Eddie/Tony backup backcourt overall.

- With Allen out until the playoffs, Allen won't be able to play anymore this year. Sorry if this seems cruel but I look at this as addition by subtraction.

- A roster spot has been opened up for at least one additional player if Danny can get a little lucky and find a trade or a buy out candidate to add to this team.

- It looks like in trading Cassell that the Celtics could save as much as a million dollars this year. Saving a million dollars has to be a good thing, right?

- There is still the possibility of Cassell returning.

- If Pruitt sucks, Tony could still be back for the most important part of the schedule, the playoffs. Boy, I hope Pruitt doesn't suck.

The Bad:

- The Celtics lost, from what all indications have led us to believe, a pretty [dang] good coach for backcourt players in Cassell. It has been reported that Sam and Rondo clicked well together and that Rondo really respected and used a lot of what Sam has imparted to him thus far this year. In that respect, he will be sorely missed.

- I'm not a Tony Allen fan but if he was goping to miss the rest of the season I wish it was because someone outplayed him for his spot or that he played himself out of his spot. I don't wish injury upon anyone and poor Tony has been an injury waiting to happen since he came into this league. As much as I hate his game and think he's not the smartest player ever to have trouble tying his shoelaces, I'd like to know what his game would look like right now if he had never once become injured.

- The loss of Allen and Cassell only goes to show what a colossal blunder last off season was. There is no one ready from the addition of the "developmental four"(Pruitt, Walker, Giddens and O'Bryant) that is ready to jump in and be an instant contributor. I said it last year and will say it again, what was needed was solid veterans who's game you could rely on and know what you were getting. The static at this site against this philosophy was palpable and as far as I'm concerned, decidedly wrong. People are starting to see the reason why. None of the "developmental four" are ready. Scal is hurt, Allen hurt and Cassell gone. That leaves Doc with eight players he can truly trust and rely on.

- The loss of Allen and Cassell only goes to show the need to have some players on your bench that have decent sized contracts so that you can facilitate trades. Danny's first off season of the Big Three Era was a disater for another reason. He should be using a very large chunck or all of the MLE on at least one player every year. Having a player, or in the case of next year, a couple of players on your bench with contracts that add up to $10-11 million will go a long way to making inseason imporvements if those players aren't working out exactly as you had hoped. The current situation of having no one desirable to trade that isn't making more than a million a year is handcuffing Danny from making a trade. If he had signed say Posey or Mason or Kurt Thomas or Pietrus or someone to the full MLE this last offseason he'd have some ammo to make a trade. If he had signed one of them and then this off season signed another full MLE player, Danny would have two players on his bench with good sized contracts that if things were needed could be used to address those needs. Of course, it would have been a lot better if said players produced and a trade wasn't needed but at least the options would be there.

I'm sure there's more but gotta make some important calls. I'll add oo later my other thoughts.

Re: The good and the bad of the Cassell and Allen news.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:50:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

- With Allen out until the playoffs, Allen won't be able to play anymore this year. Sorry if this seems cruel but I look at this as addition by subtraction.

- The loss of Allen and Cassell only goes to show the need to have some players on your bench that have decent sized contracts so that you can facilitate trades. Danny's first off season of the Big Three Era was a disater for another reason. He should be using a very large chunck or all of the MLE on at least one player every year. Having a player, or in the case of next year, a couple of players on your bench with contracts that add up to $10-11 million will go a long way to making inseason imporvements if those players aren't working out exactly as you had hoped. The current situation of having no one desirable to trade that isn't making more than a million a year is handcuffing Danny from making a trade. If he had signed say Posey or Mason or Kurt Thomas or Pietrus or someone to the full MLE this last offseason he'd have some ammo to make a trade. If he had signed one of them and then this off season signed another full MLE player, Danny would have two players on his bench with good sized contracts that if things were needed could be used to address those needs.

Losing Allen leaves a hole in our lineup. That means Ainge needs to consider fixing that spot vs getting another big or another pg. It in no way makes us better.

And it seems pretty obvious that Ainge doesn't have the budget to sign a player to the MLE every offseason. Not only would an aging player with a few years of MLE be hard to move, but they mainly work as trading chips when he wants to take back other longish contracts.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »

Offline Shiz1111

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 22

- With Allen out for the rest of the regular and the unlikelihood of the Celtics being able to pick up someone, Doc should have no other option than to play Pruitt at the backup 1 and Eddie at the backup 2. As much as Pruitt might not be 100% ready to contribute the way that Doc would like him to, I think putting a player at the backup point that can handle the ball better than Eddie and Tony and still be able to hit the occasional three and forcing Eddie into his more natural role of shooting guard is better than the Eddie/Tony backup backcourt overall.

- If Pruitt sucks, Tony could still be back for the most important part of the schedule, the playoffs. Boy, I hope Pruitt doesn't suck.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes circumstances need to force players into rotation and I really REALLY want to see Pruitt coming in regularly at the backup 1 spot and E. House at the backup 2. Not only do I like Pruitt's game, I cannot get enough of House when all he's got to focus on is scoring. I'm hoping these circumstances turn into a solid rotation spot for Pruitt who (please, please, please) won't suck.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Sorry if this seems cruel but I look at this as addition by subtraction.
Now that's funny.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:58:31 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

I couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes circumstances need to force players into rotation and I really REALLY want to see Pruitt coming in regularly at the backup 1 spot and E. House at the backup 2. Not only do I like Pruitt's game, I cannot get enough of House when all he's got to focus on is scoring. I'm hoping these circumstances turn into a solid rotation spot for Pruitt who (please, please, please) won't suck.
I just want Gabe to be able to handle most PG's or SG's on defense, which so far he has been superb with. He still needs to build up some confidence to be a much better player, but that comes with time. Hopefully he'll learn the ropes soon.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!