Author Topic: Possible D-League Options  (Read 2917 times)

Possible D-League Options
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
With Danny talking about turning to the Dleague for help, here are some viable options:

Point Guard:

1. Will Conroy- Very quick, yet small point guard. Averaging 26.4 points, 8.0 assists, 70% FT shooter, 37.3% 3pt shooter. In his last three games he has had 35, 34, and 35 points in each. He could be a scoring option off the bench that can run the point too.Has the scoring ability to play some 2 guard if necessary.

2. Walker Russell- 16.1 pts, 11.2 assists, 82.7% FT shooter. Not nearly the shooter or scorer that Conroy is, but he is dishing out over 11 assists per game. Shows that he can run a team. Could be good to bring him in to spell Rondo. He could just distrubute to the big 3.

3. Blake Ahearn- Never heard of this guy, but he is third in the league in scoring. 6' 2" guard that is averaging 18.8 pts, 6 assists, 91.4% FT shooter, 53.1% 3pt shooter. Put up 32 and 10 two games ago. Appears to be solid D-League guard.

Center:

1. Courtney Sims- I think he was on the Celtics Summer League teams a few years ago. 6' 11" center. Averaging 22.6 pts, 11.2 rebs, and 2.1 blocks per game. 75.5% FT shooter. Best big man in the league. Has some thickness (a big plus over POB).

2. Lance Allred- 6' 11" 13.9, 9.0, and .6. Not nearly the stats that Sims is putting up, but still solid. Has size to play in NBA.

3. Chris Hunter. More of a PF, but is 6' 11". Averaging 17.7 pts, 9.9 rebs, and 1.3 blocks per game. 78% FT shooter, 54.7% from the field. Played with Sims in college.

I'd much rather get a veteren to come in and play minutes. But if none can be found, the D-League does have some talent. I feel that any of these players could come in and at least provide quality minutes to give the starters a rest at times. Their numbers are deceiving since its the D-League, but these players definitly have something they can give to the team.
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

Re: Possible D-League Options
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YsDpJ5EtOHs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YsDpJ5EtOHs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:38:41 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
great list. last i heard of Courtney Sims, he was signed to a 10-day contract with the suns.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:40:17 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnfRl5gl7YE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnfRl5gl7YE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Not interested in any dleaguers.  Don't believe any will help win a championship.  I'd rather play Giddens and Walker.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:08:55 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
What happened to Justin Reed?  I caught glimpse of him playing a little in the DL last year, and he seemed to stand out at least in the game I saw.  He showed that he could D-up at the NBA level when he was here; kinda surprised that he never stuck in the NBA, although it seemed to me that some of his defensive intensity went away in his second season (when a lot of us thought he was ready to break out).  I wouldn't mind seeing him come back on a 10-day contract now that we've got a free roster spot, just see if he could possibly contribute a little bit backing up at the 3.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
TP for the D League info ActionJackson, don't know much about any of these guys. While I feel that D leaguers aren't the best option for a deep playoff run, given the C's contract situation, it may be the only option.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 10:40:07 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Those guys can't help us. Why do we need another PG? We have House, Pruitt and the chance of re-signing Cassell... They're all better than those guys.

There are 3 D-Leaguers I could have some interest.

Three defensive-minded swingmen: Cartier Martin, Othyus Jeffers and Renaldo Major. I've watched Jeffers plaing once; Martin and Major twice and I was impressed by them. They all have very decent numbers. I'm afraid they're going to be major offensive liabilities in the NBA though. Martin has been playing for the Bobcats and Larry Brown is reportedly pleased with him. I'd have to check David Noel and Derrick Byars, two players who are putting up solid numbers and getting good reports.

One big man, Pops Mensah-Bonsu. He isn't better than Baby or Powe, but he's different: while undersized, he plays much bigger than his height, due to his amazing athleticism. He's now more polished than when he was with the Mavs. I saw a couple of his games, early in this season, with Joventut and I liked what he showed. Big red flag though: he's injured. DKV waived him because he refused to have a surgery on his shoulder, against medical advise. IIRC, he went to some crazy chiropractic or homeopathic. So, he's probably playing on fumes and every minute he's on the floor he's on the verge of contracting a serious injury. Here's a video from him this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU_QLc7fUMg
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:48:27 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:43:48 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I would love to see Derrick Byars in green to help offset the loss of Tony Allen.  Byars is a good shooter, has a nice all around game, and is an ok defender.  He would be solid in limited minutes, although SF/SG isn't the position we need help the most at.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:04:40 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if we cant make a trade or sign a free agent thats bought out, i would rather roll with our current roster than sign a d-leaguer.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 09:13:46 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
theres this one kid who plays awesome in D-league that we could replace TA with.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/gamelogs.jsp?player=jr_giddens

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 09:32:14 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
theres this one kid who plays awesome in D-league that we could replace TA with.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/gamelogs.jsp?player=jr_giddens

Does kind of make sense, I mean could he possibly be worse then TA?
do it

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Man, I started a similar thread a few days ago and got no comments. Just a little early, I guess.

Basically, I'm intrigued by James White, Courtney Sims, Derrick Byars, Othyus Jeffers.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=25709.0

As I'm laid up with the Flu (not a fun one), I discovered that the D-League website has a very fun feature: their "Top-25 Call-up List."
http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Call-up-Candidates/

Click on any player and it gives you the most recent scouting report as well as any NBA affiliation, if any. Obviously, Scouting reports always make a player seem better than he is, but check out this description for Derrick Byars:

January 12, 2009
There is a reason why Derrick Byars was named SEC Player of the Year in 2007, and he didn’t take very long to show why here at the Showcase. Byars has quietly been having an excellent season in the D-League with Bakersfield, both individually and from a win/loss standpoint. As a 6-7 wing player with a terrific frame and length, Byars is always going to draw NBA interest. Beyond that, his skill-set continues to improve as well.

Byars is one of the best shooters the D-League has to offer, connecting on a ridiculous 49% of his 3-point attempts this season, on over 5 attempts per game. He is excellent with his feet set, and can get his shot off against most defenders relatively easily thanks to his terrific size. He’s also pretty effective pulling up off the dribble, as well as posting up and fading away for a turnaround jumper. Off the ball, he is extremely smart finding open spaces from which to cut to the basket and get easy looks at the rim. The fact that his team plays unselfishly and really knows how to space the floor definitely helps in this regard.

Just an average ball-handler at best, Byars is pretty limited in terms of creating his own shot from the perimeter. He has good strength but isn’t a great athlete, although he could certainly be considered above average at this level. He’s an unselfish player, though, who feeds off his teammates and looks content being a role-player, which is obviously what he would be if called up by an NBA team.

Defensively, Byars had a very positive showing here at the Showcase, as he has excellent physical tools to get the job done, but also displays nice fundamentals. His length allows him to contest shots effectively, and he slides his feet pretty well when defending the ball. He isn’t a very fiery or intense guy, though, and is surprisingly a relatively average rebounder, not always showing the type of hustle you might expect. This passivity seems to be something that shows up in his entire game, and might be what is holding him back from truly breaking out.

Byars isn't going to wow most people with an incredbily versatile skill-set or phenomenal athleticism, but he is a solid player with good tools and two very important NBA-level skills. Teams looking for a role-playing wing player who can step into a rotation, make shots and defend either the 2 or the 3 will probably give him a long hard look.

He is not currently affiliated with an NBA team, and neither are James White, Courtney Sims, or Othyus Jeffers, all of whom might be fun to take a look at. Hollinger mentioned Jeffers as a player to watch in his all-star notebook.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 10:08:39 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
Man, I started a similar thread a few days ago and got no comments. Just a little early, I guess.

Basically, I'm intrigued by James White, Courtney Sims, Derrick Byars, Othyus Jeffers.

My bad man. I didnt even see your thread...

And as a side note, i would rather see Giddens, Walker, or some Veteren play more than any of these unproven Dleaguers, but i was just pointing out a possible alternative
- Rasheed Wallace