Author Topic: Celts going after Raja Bell?  (Read 10979 times)

Re: Celts going after Raja Bell?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Man, we really have nothing to trade except cash.

I think BBD and Powe have some value around the league . We are most likely going to lose one of them at the end of the season because both are free agents, so why not trade one of them now before losing either Powe or BBD for nothing

I think if you package

Powe or BBD with a player or 2 from the list below you could get a decent return

Moveable players
1)Giddens
2) Walker
3) Pruitt
4) Scal for salary reasons

What is that thought based upon, though?  Every report we hear says "Team X isn't interested in anything that Boston has to offer".  There have been numerous reports (this is at least the third) that there is no interest in Giddens, despite the Celts trying to move him.

I think other teams see our backups for what they are:  inconsistent, unrealized potential, or scrubs.  You're not going to get a lot for that.

You may be right Roy --- and the types of deals like Scal/TA/Pruit/POB/kitchen sink/Davis for Rasheed are silly.

But here's what the C's might have offered and why it might not be so insane for CHARLOTTE:

1. Tony Allen + Eddie House + Cash  --> Raja Bell
see via Trade Machine

Ironically, Bell is like a combination of these 2 players (House's outside shooting and marginal PG skills + Allen's defense (he's a better defender than TA)).

2. Eddie House + JR Giddens + Glen Davis + Cash --> Raja Bell
see via Trade Machine 

Charlotte's owner has been reported to be one of the ones to have taken a hit financially lately, so one motivation would be the savings/cash associated with either of these deals. Admittedly the savings are limted, but I think BOSTON's ownership is willing to pay say $1M to sweeten a deal. So even if the salaries are the same long term, CHA comes out $1M ahead.

Looking at the players suggested in either deal:

Tony Allen -- If nothing else, a homeless man's Raja Bell; MJ might see him as a cheap replacement for Raja Bell, who's not long for this league. And Allen become's an expiring contract in for the Summer of 2010 --- albeit 1/2 of what Bell's contract would be.

Eddie House -- If I'm Ainge I'd point out to Charlotte that at this point in his career Eddie wants to be on a winner and could very well decline his player option next year if traded to Charlotte. At worst though, he's backup PG insurance (hey he's been the backup PG on one of the best teams in the last decade...) against having to or being tempted to resigning Felton, who they appear to not want to break the bank in resigning since thy have Augustin.

Giddens -- At worst a rookie contract, at best makes Tony Allen expendable. A low risk player at low money.

Davis -- An expiring contract.

I'm not saying CHAR *will* or *should* trade us Bell (well, yeah i am saying they should  ;)) but if we throw in $1-2 Mil in either scenario, they benefit financially (even moreso if House walks) and in this economic climate that may be enough.

Kudos to Ainge for recognizing this and seeing if maybe he can steal/upgrade in talent.

FWIW.... along those lines, I'd love for Ainge to give PHO -- who also want's to shed salary --- and see if they'd dump Jared Dudley for our new Sam Cassell-generated trade exception. Almost more than anything I'd like to add another wing defender to this team, and Dudley's a Adrian Griffin/Ryan Gomes grit-type player (and BC kid).
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Re: Celts going after Raja Bell?
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i love raja bell but i don't think we can lose big baby. i don't expect powe to be very effective vs. cleveland or the lakers once bynum is back. i think davis matches up much better vs. these teams.