Author Topic: Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder  (Read 18086 times)

Re: Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
I don't see where exactly it says the pick will be heavily protected.

The Kings give up virtually nothing to do it as the pick is heavily protected.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3912402

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Freeing up a roster spot.

it wouldn't suprise me to a package centered around Powe or Baby Very soon

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Sam's stat line for the year:

GP: 0
PTS: 0
AST: 0
STL: 0
T's: 2  ;D
Yup

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
One other consideration: the trade creates a trade exception equal to Sam's salary ($1.2 mil, as Roy has stated), that the Celtics can use to bring in another player without sending out salary. This exception lasts for a calendar year.

For instance, the Celtics could trade a future draft pick this week to a team looking to cut salary. Obviously, this would nullify any payroll gains from the Cassell trade--but as others have said, those gains aren't as important as a title for the Celtics.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
I assume that Sam will be waived by Sac and return as an assistant coach?

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2009, 10:46:27 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
So this effectly means no Cassell in the playoffs since even if the Kings waive Sam, he couldn't rejoin the Celtics for 30 days which would put it after the March 1st roster deadline for being playoff eligible.

I don`t think that is true. He just needs to be waived before March 1st. A player is still eligible for the playoffs if he signs with a team until the the last day of the regular season...

Correct.
I was pretty sure a player traded to another team that is then bought out or waived can not rejoin his former team for 30 days which would then exclude him from being added to a post season roster.

You're correct that Sam couldn't rejoin the team for 30 days.

You're incorrect, though, in thinking that that 30 day limitation precludes Sam from joining the playoff roster.  Players only need to be bought out prior to March 1 -- rather than signing with a new team prior to March 1 -- to be eligible for the playoff roster.  If Sam was bought out on, say, February 25, he couldn't join the Celtics until March 27 or so, but he'd still be able to play in the playoffs.

Here’s where things get interesting. If the team was planning on bringing Sam back, financially this may make sense. If Sam stayed on the team the entire season, the Celts would have owed him roughly $1.6 million in salary plus luxury tax. If he comes back with roughly 20 games left, (and if and only if the league treated Sam like any other minimum-salaried player) the team would only owe him approximately $389,000 in salary plus luxury tax: ($797,581 * 20/82s, doubled). Thus, if their plan is to only have Sam play a limited number of games prior to the playoffs, this trade would allow them to do so, while getting them approximately $205,000 in savings after paying Sacramento off ($1.6 million combined salary pre-trade – $505,666 paid salary to date – $389,000 current luxury tax – $500,000 to Sacramento = $205,334).

This assumes that the league treats Sam as any other minimum salaried player the team adds for the stretch run, rather than viewing this as a means of circumventing the salary cap.

Wow Roy you're super. Thanks for that analysis I was getting hugely confused with all the other figures being thrown around. TP.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
One other consideration: the trade creates a trade exception equal to Sam's salary ($1.2 mil, as Roy has stated), that the Celtics can use to bring in another player without sending out salary. This exception lasts for a calendar year.

For instance, the Celtics could trade a future draft pick this week to a team looking to cut salary. Obviously, this would nullify any payroll gains from the Cassell trade--but as others have said, those gains aren't as important as a title for the Celtics.

Now is it equal to 1.2 or is it equal to the amount the Celtics were paying him?

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Now is it equal to 1.2 or is it equal to the amount the Celtics were paying him?

The trade exception is the amount of Cassell's salary, $1,262,275.  Up to $100,000 can be added to that figure to work in trades, meaning we could acquire a player making up to $1,362,275 should this trade go through.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

The trade exception is the amount of Cassell's salary, $1,262,275.  Up to $100,000 can be added to that figure to work in trades, meaning we could acquire a player making up to $1,362,275 should this trade go through.

Roy, you should seriously send your resume in to Danny Ainge. ;)
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
Or this means were signing Rober Horry

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Or this means were signing Rober Horry

God, I hope not... and doubt it.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I would imagine that Sam ends up back with the Cs because he, as someone else noted, has the right to stop this deal from happening.

To me, this indicates that it is a prelude to something else or at least allowing the possibility of something else before the deadline.

As was also pointed out, this deal could help SAC more than just getting money. It could enable SAC to complete some other deal that they are working on....which then could trigger the next stage of a deal with BOS.....

while it's always nice to save money, IMO the main reasons to do this deal are to open up the roster spot in order to take back more players than you give out in a deal or Sam going to SAC helps SAC complete a deal and then there will be a favor coming back our way....

maybe it will turn out being what in effect is a three way deal, but with just two stages....

either way, i expect Sam back in BOS because why else would he waive his right to stop the deal?

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
what's the news on Marbury's buyout negotiations?  If they fail to trade his contract I assume he'll finally be let go.

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2009, 12:27:53 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
what's the news on Marbury's buyout negotiations?  If they fail to trade his contract I assume he'll finally be let go.

if they dont trade him, i dont really see him being bought out.  i think the knicks would keep him on the inactive list and he will be a free agent after the season.  its gotten personal and kind of bravao thing

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
You mean the Kings aren't looking for a veteran presence for the stretch run?

I really hate this kind of trade.  I understand what it's about...It's just so petty

I guess I hate that the players are reduced to nameless cap fodder.  They go to such lengths to pump up players star status then they end up an anonymous bank transfer.
Yup