Author Topic: Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder  (Read 18090 times)

Re: Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 08:14:41 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
If we waived Sam and nobody picked him off waivers his salary would still count against the cap. This way we got rid of his salary, saved some money and opened up a roster spot...

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 08:14:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Cassell comes in the final year of his deal worth $1.2 million, and the cash coming the Kings' way is expected to be in the neighborhood of $500,000.

Okay, so Sam is paid off and bought out with the $500,000 And the C's save the $500,000 LT hit...

Why would the Kings make this deal? Is this a rapport building trade?
They could be buying him out for 250k or some other figure. If the buyout or remaining salary is less than 500k they will make money on the swap.

It could amount to tens of thousands of dollars for giving up nothing. The Kings are losing a ton of money so that provides a strong financial incentive.

Yes, this is possible... but wouldn't Sam have to agree on that buyout figure?
They could be working that out today, or they could just run the numbers assuming Sam gets every dollar his contract says he is due. So there wouldn't be any real need to negotiate.

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 08:17:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Cassell comes in the final year of his deal worth $1.2 million, and the cash coming the Kings' way is expected to be in the neighborhood of $500,000.

Okay, so Sam is paid off and bought out with the $500,000 And the C's save the $500,000 LT hit...

Why would the Kings make this deal? Is this a rapport building trade?

The article is a little misleading in terms of the financial figures.  While Sam is making around $1.2 million, the team is only paying him $797,581; the league subsidizes the rest for veteran salaries.

The team is through 63.4% of its schedule, and Sam has earned that amount of his salary.  That means he's owed approximately $291,798 for the rest of the season by whatever team is paying him.

So, in the case, a $500,000 cash payment gives the Kings over $200,000 in their pocket, plus whatever additional savings they can get by buying Sam out.  The Celtics, on the other hand, save the $291,788 owed to Sam, plus luxury tax on the *entire* $797,581.  That means the team is paying $500,000 to save $1,089,369.  It's my understanding that if the team signs another player to the veteran minimum, they only have to pay luxury tax on the pro-rated salary of that player.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So this effectly means no Cassell in the playoffs since even if the Kings waive Sam, he couldn't rejoin the Celtics for 30 days which would put it after the March 1st roster deadline for being playoff eligible.

I don`t think that is true. He just needs to be waived before March 1st. A player is still eligible for the playoffs if he signs with a team until the the last day of the regular season...

Correct.
I was pretty sure a player traded to another team that is then bought out or waived can not rejoin his former team for 30 days which would then exclude him from being added to a post season roster.

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So this effectly means no Cassell in the playoffs since even if the Kings waive Sam, he couldn't rejoin the Celtics for 30 days which would put it after the March 1st roster deadline for being playoff eligible.

I don`t think that is true. He just needs to be waived before March 1st. A player is still eligible for the playoffs if he signs with a team until the the last day of the regular season...

Correct.
I was pretty sure a player traded to another team that is then bought out or waived can not rejoin his former team for 30 days which would then exclude him from being added to a post season roster.

Just see Brent Barry last year.  Traded by the Spurs to the Sonics on February 20th,  waived before March 1, but didn't re-sign till March 24th, after the 30 day waiting period.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 08:24:49 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Correct.

You're correct that Sam couldn't rejoin the team for 30 days.

You're incorrect, though, in thinking that that 30 day limitation precludes Sam from joining the playoff roster.  Players only need to be bought out prior to March 1 -- rather than signing with a new team prior to March 1 -- to be eligible for the playoff roster.  If Sam was bought out on, say, February 25, he couldn't join the Celtics until March 27 or so, but he'd still be able to play in the playoffs.

Here’s where things get interesting. If the team was planning on bringing Sam back, financially this may make sense. If Sam stayed on the team the entire season, the Celts would have owed him roughly $1.6 million in salary plus luxury tax. If he comes back with roughly 20 games left, (and if and only if the league treated Sam like any other minimum-salaried player) the team would only owe him approximately $389,000 in salary plus luxury tax: ($797,581 * 20/82s, doubled). Thus, if their plan is to only have Sam play a limited number of games prior to the playoffs, this trade would allow them to do so, while getting them approximately $205,000 in savings after paying Sacramento off ($1.6 million combined salary pre-trade – $505,666 paid salary to date – $389,000 current luxury tax – $500,000 to Sacramento = $205,334).

This assumes that the league treats Sam as any other minimum salaried player the team adds for the stretch run, rather than viewing this as a means of circumventing the salary cap.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:09:22 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 08:30:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Correct.

You're incorrect, though, in thinking that that 30 day limitation precludes Sam from joining the playoff roster.  Players only need to be bought out prior to March 1 -- rather than signing with a new team prior to March 1 -- to be eligible for the playoff roster.  If Sam was bought out on, say, February 25, he couldn't join the Celtics until March 27 or so, but he'd still be able to play in the playoffs.

Also, if the team *was* planning on bringing Sam back, financially this may make sense.  If Sam stayed on the team the entire season, the Celts would have owed him roughly $1.6 million in salary plus luxury tax.  If he comes back with roughly 20 games left, (and if and only if the league treated Sam like any other minimum-salaried player) the team would only owe him approximately $640,000 in salary plus luxury tax.  Thus, if their plan is to only have Sam play a limited number of games prior to the playoffs, this trade would allow them to do so, while getting them approximately $500,000 in savings after paying Sacramento off.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. TP.

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
thanks for the research and financial analysis Roy!
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Yes, Roy's the man!

I saw a thread titled "Ask Edgar", shouldn't one be started for Roy? ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 09:10:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Yes, Roy's the man!

We have one:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=20970.0

;)

The only difference is, I deal with boring salary cap / financial stuff, and Edgar answers questions dealing with the important stuff in life.  ;D

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Correct.

Also, if the team *was* planning on bringing Sam back, financially this may make sense.  If Sam stayed on the team the entire season, the Celts would have owed him roughly $1.6 million in salary plus luxury tax.  If he comes back with roughly 20 games left, (and if and only if the league treated Sam like any other minimum-salaried player) the team would only owe him approximately $640,000 in salary plus luxury tax.  Thus, if their plan is to only have Sam play a limited number of games prior to the playoffs, this trade would allow them to do so, while getting them approximately $500,000 in savings after paying Sacramento off.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. TP.

I edited my numbers a bit above, to hopefully clarify things a bit.  The actual savings, should Sam play 20 games with the Celts, should be closer to $205,000, after paying off Sacramento.

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Yes, Roy's the man!

i agree.....the guy knows everything!

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't see where exactly it says the pick will be heavily protected.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Who's going to be the 7th coach now?
Yup

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 09:32:40 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Yes, Roy's the man!

We have one:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=20970.0

;)

The only difference is, I deal with boring salary cap / financial stuff, and Edgar answers questions dealing with the important stuff in life.  ;D

Such is the attorneys lot in life  :)
Yup