Author Topic: Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder  (Read 18091 times)

Re: Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 06:08:58 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
The 2nd round pick is heavily protected. We will never get it.

SAC made the trade to get some cash, we made it to open up a roster spot...

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 06:24:15 AM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
The part that isn't reported is that the Kings gave up a wink and a nod, and received a big, fat, "You Owe Us" from the Celtics.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 07:16:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I dont understand the interest in the trade for the Kings, especially if theyre going to buy Sam out right after the trade.  Theyre essentially just giving us a 2nd round pick for nothing.

They get some cash. I bet the 2nd round pick is heavily protected, like in top-55 protected. So, $ for nothing.

Is this Ainge trying to take advantage of a team wanting to get extra Cash and buying an extra 2nd?

I think Ainge is solely opening a roster spot.
I wonder if the C's are trying to get involved in a three way deal of some sort to pick up a vet. They could be muscling into a 2-way deal by agreeing to take some salary or kick in the $3 million allowed. That would greatly expand the options for trades, as our bilateral trade scenarios seem limited.

He's done multi-team trades before where the C's were a side team.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

If the sole purpose of the trade was to open a roster spot why didn't DA just waive Cassell?

My point is there has to be more incentive than that... even if it's as simple as Sam saving face.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 07:41:34 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I dont understand the interest in the trade for the Kings, especially if theyre going to buy Sam out right after the trade.  Theyre essentially just giving us a 2nd round pick for nothing.

They get some cash. I bet the 2nd round pick is heavily protected, like in top-55 protected. So, $ for nothing.

Is this Ainge trying to take advantage of a team wanting to get extra Cash and buying an extra 2nd?

I wonder if the C's are trying to get involved in a three way deal of some sort to pick up a vet. They could be muscling into a 2-way deal by agreeing to take some salary or kick in the $3 million allowed. That would greatly expand the options for trades, as our bilateral trade scenarios seem limited.

Possible. We'd probably still need some salary to send out. Who are our unsigned free-agents, besides PJ Brown? Kandi, Pollard... anyone besides vets and rookies salaries? But yeah, a multi-team deal where we use the Cash and the 2011 pick is our best chance of getting value.

Who knows though? Maybe it's just to add a FA. Maybe even just a D-League call-up...

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 07:42:45 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

If the sole purpose of the trade was to open a roster spot why didn't DA just waive Cassell?

My point is there has to be more incentive than that... even if it's as simple as Sam saving face.

That was my thought too.  If there's no way we're getting the 2nd rounder, there has to be some other incentive.  Otherwise, why give up the cash?

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Possible. We'd probably still need some salary to send out. Who are our unsigned free-agents, besides PJ Brown? Kandi, Pollard... anyone besides vets and rookies salaries? But yeah, a multi-team deal where we use the Cash and the 2011 pick is our best chance of getting value.

Who knows though? Maybe it's just to add a FA. Maybe even just a D-League call-up...
True, but why the trade instead of waiving him. Does it save us money on our luxury tax payment? If we were paying the dollar for dollar tax on Sam's salary it would be significant savings over waiving him.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Good point. I hope this isn't just a financial deal.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 07:53:26 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

True, but why the trade instead of waiving him. Does it save us money on our luxury tax payment? If we were paying the dollar for dollar tax on Sam's salary it would be significant savings over waiving him.

there it is... that could be the incentive right there... TP

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
"A source close to the Kings just confirmed an ESPN report that the Kings will likely trade a future second-round pick (which is heavily protected) to Boston for guard Sam Cassell and cash.

But while the story said the Celtics and Kings had agreed to terms, I'm told there is more to discuss on Tuesday as it pertains to the amount of money and other details. Cassell comes in the final year of his deal worth $1.2 million, and the cash coming the Kings' way is expected to be in the neighborhood of $500,000.

While Cassell hasn't played this season and only played in 17 games last season, he comes with three championship rings and could serve as a quasi-coach for this team that so desperately lacks leadership. It's a high price to pay for another unofficial assistant. While this move would open up a roster spot for a reigning champion Celtics team on the prowl for another piece, the Kings' motivation is unclear at this time. Cassell could wind up being waived before he gets here or playing a part in something bigger the Kings have been working on."

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/019665.html

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 07:58:26 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Cassell comes in the final year of his deal worth $1.2 million, and the cash coming the Kings' way is expected to be in the neighborhood of $500,000.

Okay, so Sam is paid off and bought out with the $500,000 And the C's save the $500,000 LT hit...

Why would the Kings make this deal? Is this a rapport building trade?

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 08:03:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Cassell comes in the final year of his deal worth $1.2 million, and the cash coming the Kings' way is expected to be in the neighborhood of $500,000.

Okay, so Sam is paid off and bought out with the $500,000 And the C's save the $500,000 LT hit...

They could be buying him out for 250k or some other figure. If the buyout or remaining salary is less than 500k they will make money on the swap.

It could amount to tens of thousands of dollars for giving up nothing. The Kings are losing a ton of money so that provides a strong financial incentive.

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
If we do want to sign somebody we'd have to cut a player, so trading sam would essentially get us that open roster spot and a second round pick (a good one too cause the Kings are horrible)

i like this except for the fact that i really like having Sam around, just for his personality.

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 08:12:31 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

They could be buying him out for 250k or some other figure. If the buyout or remaining salary is less than 500k they will make money on the swap.

It could amount to tens of thousands of dollars for giving up nothing. The Kings are losing a ton of money so that provides a strong financial incentive.

Yes, this is possible... but wouldn't Sam have to agree on that buyout figure?

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If we do want to sign somebody we'd have to cut a player, so trading sam would essentially get us that open roster spot and a second round pick (a good one too cause the Kings are horrible)

i like this except for the fact that i really like having Sam around, just for his personality.
The pick is protected to the point where we will not receive it.