Author Topic: Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder  (Read 18038 times)

Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:17:38 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
"The Sacramento Kings agreed in principle to a deal with the Boston Celtics on Monday night, a league source told ESPN.com. The Celtics will send Sam Cassell and cash to the Kings for a future second-round pick. (..)

Furthermore, another league source says the deal could pave the way for the Celtics to add another player to their roster prior to the playoffs. (...)"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3912402

Ok, Danny is moving...

Re: Cassell is being traded to the Kings for a 2nd rounder
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:31:34 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
Wow this is big...
Surely he wouldn't be freeing up a roster spot for nothing? I'm disappointed Cassell won't be on our bench anymore. I think he really helped out the team mentally.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:41:30 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Wow this is big...
Surely he wouldn't be freeing up a roster spot for nothing? I'm disappointed Cassell won't be on our bench anymore. I think he really helped out the team mentally.

He will probably be waived by Sacramento and I imagine he will like to go back to Boston as an assistant coach.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 02:57:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So this effectly means no Cassell in the playoffs since even if the Kings waive Sam, he couldn't rejoin the Celtics for 30 days which would put it after the March 1st roster deadline for being playoff eligible.

This move is proof of one of either a few things:

1.) The Celtics are clearing a roster spot for an expected trade, which would be for the Celtics landing one more player than they are giving up. This does make some sense but considering the rubbish on the end of the C's bench, exactly what are we getting in return if we are the team giving up the lesser amount of players.

2.) The Celtics feel very strongly that a vet player that they have targeted will be bought out or released from the team he is currently with. This way they open the roster spot while possibly picking up a possible future 2nd rounder.

3.) The Celtics are trying to cut unnecessary payroll and it kind of proves that Danny Ainge was in a cost cutting, "don't spend bucks" type of mode last off season. This would go a long way towards explaining the loss of Posey, the ridiculous POB signing, and the return of Tony Allen.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:19:28 AM »

Offline celtpinoy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • BEAT LA
am sure everyone in celtic nation is waiting for the other shoe to fall

;D

keeping the faith....

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 03:21:37 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'm not really an advocate for playing Sam anymore, but I hope he gets back with the team in some capacity because of how Rajon respects and listens to him.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:31:39 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Does this mean Danny can draft Wesley Matthews or Jerel McNeal from Marquette in the second round? If so, huge steal.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 03:35:23 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Does this mean Danny can draft Wesley Matthews or Jerel McNeal from Marquette in the second round? If so, huge steal.

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not, I haven't followed college ball closely in a while but the pick is going to be "heavily protected" I guess, so we'll likely never see it.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 03:41:47 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not, I haven't followed college ball closely in a while but the pick is going to be "heavily protected" I guess, so we'll likely never see it.

I think McNeal and Matthews will both be solid pros, so I was sincere. I thought if we could trade Cassel for a pick, that could be one of these two, and Sactown waives him and he comes back as an assistant, that that would be a huge steal.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 03:52:20 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
So this effectly means no Cassell in the playoffs since even if the Kings waive Sam, he couldn't rejoin the Celtics for 30 days which would put it after the March 1st roster deadline for being playoff eligible.

I don`t think that is true. He just needs to be waived before March 1st. A player is still eligible for the playoffs if he signs with a team until the the last day of the regular season...

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:22:26 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I don`t think that is true. He just needs to be waived before March 1st. A player is still eligible for the playoffs if he signs with a team until the the last day of the regular season...

Correct.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:38:30 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
(...)

3.) The Celtics are trying to cut unnecessary payroll and it kind of proves that Danny Ainge was in a cost cutting, "don't spend bucks" type of mode last off season. This would go a long way towards explaining the loss of Posey, the ridiculous POB signing, and the return of Tony Allen.

Why? The team has already paid most of Cassell's salary for this season and I'm pretty sure the Kings aren't eating the remaining - the cash Ainge is sending is certainly enough to the Kings to buy out Sam. I don't see how this saves a single buck to the C's.

Cost cutting had nothing to do with the decision of not signing Posey, unless the team is in cost-cutting mode for 2012 but not for the next 3 years.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Is this Ainge trying to take advantage of a team wanting to get extra Cash and buying an extra 2nd?

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 05:55:08 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I dont understand the interest in the trade for the Kings, especially if theyre going to buy Sam out right after the trade.  Theyre essentially just giving us a 2nd round pick for nothing.

As a Celtics fan, I love it.  We free up a spot.  I'm excited to see how we're going to fill the open spot.  Also, with as much success Danny has had in the 2nd round, you gotta love getting another pick.
Greg

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:06:40 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I dont understand the interest in the trade for the Kings, especially if theyre going to buy Sam out right after the trade.  Theyre essentially just giving us a 2nd round pick for nothing.

They get some cash. I bet the 2nd round pick is heavily protected, like in top-55 protected. So, $ for nothing.

Is this Ainge trying to take advantage of a team wanting to get extra Cash and buying an extra 2nd?

I think Ainge is solely opening a roster spot.