Author Topic: Boston trying to land All-Star game  (Read 4286 times)

Boston trying to land All-Star game
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/02/16/this_application_may_not_sit_well/

"The Celtics are considering trying to land the 2011 or 2012 NBA All-Star weekends. But a league source said the franchise is far from certain to make a bid.

The Celtics would need to make an initial investment in the bid and secure convention center space and the availability of TD Banknorth Garden.

The climate also could work against Boston, though the 2005 game was in Denver and it has been held in Minneapolis.

"We've bid specs out," NBA commissioner David Stern said Saturday. "We're accepting applications. Next year, as you recall, it is in Dallas where [Mavericks owner] Mark Cuban has assured me there will be 100,000 people."

The Celtics' bid could be affected by the success of that game, at the new Cowboys Stadium (with those 100,000 seats), the first to be held in a covered stadium vs. an arena.

If next year's event fulfills expectations, the NBA might continue to seek similar venues".

I don't live in Boston but I think it would be great as a Celtic fan. The league should be ashamed not letting Boston host a game since 1964. The NBA All-Star game started in Boston and that needs to be celebrated.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Re: Boston trying to land All-Star game
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:09:58 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I find it strange that Boston hasn't hosted one in so long. It's no surprise that we're going for one. Hopefully when the Big 3 are still here we'll get one. Maybe we can host one in Gillette. That's one year's all-star jersey that I would actually buy.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I find it strange that Boston hasn't hosted one in so long. It's no surprise that we're going for one. Hopefully when the Big 3 are still here we'll get one. Maybe we can host one in Gillette. That's one year's all-star jersey that I would actually buy.

An all-star game in an outdoor stadium in Foxboro, MA.  I don't know if that would work.

But it isn't right this city hasn't had an All-star game in so long.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:14:10 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible
They tried the outdoor game already for the Suns, and they play horse outside... so why not.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
They tried the outdoor game already for the Suns, and they play horse outside... so why not.

Those were in Phoenix.  The all-star game is in February, and in Massachusetts the temp in February hovers from 20-40(if lucky).  Not to mention the wind.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:05:21 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I read a rumor that the 2011 game might be in London's 02 arena.... which I can't imagine would go over too well with some people, especially with America in such an economic crisis.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
Hosting in 2011 would be great as a 60th anniversary celebration of the first ASG. That'd be big.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 11:40:41 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I read a rumor that the 2011 game might be in London's 02 arena.... which I can't imagine would go over too well with some people, especially with America in such an economic crisis.

I know at least one person that
would be happy (It's not myself).

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:12:12 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Either you haven't experienced a New England winter before, or you're crazy...

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:23:01 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
if beantown doesn't get it, it's more evidence of sterns hate towards the c's

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:04:12 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Well, the article said the team isn't sure if it's going to even bid, so it might not be *all* on Stern. ;)

My guess as to why the Celts haven't gotten to host the game in a long time has more to do with frugal ownership, and less with an NBA conspiracy.  The article says that it's fairly expensive to put together a bid, and since the Celts don't own the Garden, I'm sure they wouldn't see full revenues from the game.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Well, the article said the team isn't sure if it's going to even bid, so it might not be *all* on Stern. ;)

My guess as to why the Celts haven't gotten to host the game in a long time has more to do with frugal ownership, and less with an NBA conspiracy.  The article says that it's fairly expensive to put together a bid, and since the Celts don't own the Garden, I'm sure they wouldn't see full revenues from the game.
Great point. Why should the Celtics ownership put up a ton of money for a bid when the Bruins would end up profiting and the C's might make only a small amount of money. Or even just break even!

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if we get it, it would be cool.  but if we dont, it wouldnt bother me.

question.....if you're a season ticket holder, do you get first "dibs" on purchasing tix?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:28:16 AM by dark_lord »

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:50:37 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I wouldn't blame the league or anyone who wouldn't want the All-star game in Boston.  I'd love it if they held it here, but it's too cold here in February.  Why have it here when you can have it in a number of warm places where you don't have to deal with potential snow storms?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible
Either you haven't experienced a New England winter before, or you're crazy...

People should just suck it up. It'll give Wade a chance to use the winter wear clown fashions.

Become Legendary.