Author Topic: The Boondock Saints  (Read 2579 times)

The Boondock Saints
« on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This movie is hard for me to talk about, because I feel two ways about it. However, with the sequel in post-production now, and due to be release this year it seemed like the right time to bring it up.

one way I feel about the film is that 'its not a good movie'. The acting is poor besides Defoe, and the accents are worse (how many times do these guy slip out of/over due accents in this movie? Fifty?). The storyline is completely impossible, borderline ridiculous, but it pretends that its not. Sin City's storyline is ridiculous, but no one is pretending it could actually happen. This story is painted to be real, in our world, but it makes literally no sense. There are just so many leaps in this movie...Il Duce is their father, these guys work in a fish processing factory..I mean its all baloney.

The other way I feel about this movie is that it is completely awesome. The way its told through flashbacks, the action, its all completely cool. Plus, the heroes are irish. Deep down doesn't everyone wanna be an irish assassin?

I also like the John Everyman slant to it. These guys are completely anonymous, but suddenly, they're tough skilled hitmen. Its the same reason why we love X-Men, its the same reason some of you guys watch heroes, and its the same reason people play the lottery. One moment your life is mundane, the next you're special. I love movies with the story line, and then the religious aspect, the code of honor, a little sprinkle of mysticism...its all just fantastic.

Basically my head says this movie is completely mediocre, but my heart says its completely freakin awesome.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: The Boondock Saints
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
If you take a movie about Irish Catholic ninjas seriously, you're bound to be disappointed.

This movie rocks - I'm glad the sequel is actually happening.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »

Offline RickyDavisfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Your post about this movie almost has me convinced that you drive yourself absolutely crazy on a yearly, monthly, daily, hourly, basis.

This movie is on my list of all time favorites. Stop over analyzing it and enjoy it for what it is.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »

Offline RickyDavisfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
And TP, for the topic. Looking forward to the sequel, hoping they don't butcher it.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 05:21:19 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think the sequel will be a huge disappointment.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I liked the original. Not a great film, but enjoyable. I'll definitely be watching any sequel.