Author Topic: Another Trade That Scares Me  (Read 5175 times)

Another Trade That Scares Me
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:46:14 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
There has been talk of Cle offering Wally+Hickson and maybe some picks for Amare but it is doubtful that Pho would bite on that as the best deal.  What scares me a little though is talk out of Washington that they may need to cut salary.  Cle could offer the Wally+Hickson package for Butler and Etan Thomas.  Butler on the Cavs would be scary.

Washington would save quite a bit of cash in this deal plus get a promising big.  They only do this if they are really cash strapped but if Pho was thinking about it for Amare, who knows.

Re: Another Trade That Scares Me
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
thats terrifying, because i love butler and his game. I would hate watchin him in a cavs uni
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No way they don't get more for Butler.  He is still pretty young, and one of the best all-around SF's in the league, who is actually signed to a decent contract.  And unlike some of the other guys being discussed, he really has no red flags that are knocking down his trade value. 

Anyways, I don't think they trade Butler anyways.  I think he is available in the respect that they are taking offers for ANYONE, but it would take an over the top offer to pry him free.

Now, Richard Jefferson...that's another story.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Butler and RJ at 2 guard then?

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
The trade that scares me the most is the rumor I heard of the Spurs going after Rasheed Wallace.  That is absolutely terrifying.  Other than that, I guess Butler to the Cavs makes a reasonable second threat.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »

Offline RondoIsAPimp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 23
Why would Washington do that? maybe if it was for Jamison, but Butler would cost more than Wally and Hickson I would think, even with Wallys expiring contract.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why would Washington do that? maybe if it was for Jamison, but Butler would cost more than Wally and Hickson I would think, even with Wallys expiring contract.
The deal would include Etan Thomas who is pretty much dead money but for 3 years I think.  That is part of the deal, to get the good value (Butler) you have to take the bad contract off their hands too.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:42:04 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
strangely enough, but the holdup seems to be that cleveland doesn't want to part with hickson.

i was reading on the cleveland newspaper last night that lebron has been giving hickson some of his shoes and that lebron is infatuated with the guy.

and we all know that what lebron wants, lebron gets...

(did i use lebron's name enough...i just can't get enough of lebron...)  :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:36:38 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
cleveland is not going to find anyone of quality for what they are offering. they wont get camby, amare nor butler....i think they try to get joe smith

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:08:24 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Last week i heard  the Cavs were interested in Rasheed Wallace,this week its the Spurs interested in him,whose next?

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Under normal circumstances I usually dont buy into the whole 'this team wont do a deal with this team because this GM doesnt like this GM, or these two teams hate each other' type situation. However, I really really REALLY have a hard time believing that Washington would want to make a deal that would send argueably their most talented player to the Cavs of all teams, and put them the completely over the top favorite to win the title.  Especially when the Wiz could find a better deal for Caron, hey why dont Phoenix and Washington talk Amare for Caron??  Or is it pointless for Washington to bring in Amare since they spent all thier money on a player who has yet to prove he still has two useful legs???

Greg

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 06:10:33 AM »

Offline Jackk#02

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
The cavs already have such a good team, and delontes been out, and now there all these all star trade rumors.

I cant see why the Cavs would hesitate to get amare or sheeds, even if it means giving up Hickson.

still, no match for the big 3 and the boston celtics :)

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 08:31:51 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't think the Suns, unless the team completely doesn't care about their fans and their backlash against the franchise, can trade away Amare for Hickson and Wally.  I mean the Suns have made a ton of poor choices over the last few seasons but that would be too much.  I really like Hickson and Wally's expiring contract is nice but I don't see it happening.  I feel like they have to get an impact guy.

Also, I don't see why the Cavs would possibly want a SF.  Sure, they'd take Butler but they have to be looking for a big way more than a SF.  An Amare type big guy would do great in the Cleveland system and I've always thought a good offensive big playing with LeBron would be a scary proposition for the rest of the league.  If I'm the Cavs I really try to make this deal happen.

The trade that scares me the most is the rumor I heard of the Spurs going after Rasheed Wallace.  That is absolutely terrifying.  Other than that, I guess Butler to the Cavs makes a reasonable second threat.

It is scary but the also scary is the possibility of them landing Vince Carter.  If they made the deal and found a way to bring Vince into the fold and be a Spurs-type team player they would have a guy who still is very talented and is now underrated I think.  I guess with Sheed they would be better off since they could start Duncan and Sheed and bring Bonner off the bench, but I still think Vince has a ton of talent.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:48:21 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
yeah. i love how some people say carter would'nt fit here in s.a. or cleveland or l.a. YES HE WOULD. he's not an idiot. remember the bad rap paul pierce had? his own teams city was absolutely disgusted with the guy . the guy could not even frown. vince has been more of a pain but he would definitely play the best team ball of his career. i can't imagine anything else. does anyone really think he's try to pull any crap on a contender? he's not evil or stupid.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d94wa8

That is the scariest trade in the NBA.

EDIT: I understand DET doesn't do this, but if they looked at their roster, and they decided one of the role players they'd want from CLE's roster, they take him. JJ Hickson, West, Gibson, whoever. Picks, whatever to get it done, its worth it for cleveland. And if you think its not worth it to either Rasheed, CLE, DET, or Dumars to keep teh C's from advancing in the East despite one powerhouse dying and one getting much stronger, I disagree. Nobody likes a winner.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner