Author Topic: First UNC now Duke. BC continues to impress  (Read 7582 times)

First UNC now Duke. BC continues to impress
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
BC defeats #6 Duke.  80 -74

Down by 10 with 2 to go in the first half, BC just turned it on as Duke got into foul trouble.

Sweet!!

Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

Re: First UNC now Duke. BC continues to impress
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:57:20 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
REggie Jackson will become a star next year with Rice gone, his two best games have been against Duke and UNC and you can just tell he has that "it" factor. 6'3 with a LEGIT 7 foot wingspan, great defender, slasher, good shooter, and very athletic. Rice was coldblooded in the second half, especially that 3 from way behind the line. Trapani was very good and Rakim Sanders though he only scored 13 was very efficient and played great defense on Henderson holding him to 8-21 shooting.

Barring a major chokejob this should ensure them making the tourney, fun season. Their last 4 games are @miami, Fl St, @ Nc State, G tech, i think they go 3-1 but they need to go atleast 2-2 or the tourney chances are not good.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »

Offline BigRedDog423

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Reggie was single handedly pushing the rest of the team to be competitive. He just never stops yelling. He has the makeup to become a BC legend.

Nothing like rushing the court to make you feel alive. Joe Trapani looks even sweatier up close.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »

Offline Pierce4Prez

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • They're gonna call it a hard foul!?!?
It is mind boggling to think that BC was able to beat UNC and Duke this year yet lose to Harvard and Saint Louis..Talk about an ultimate high and low.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
It is mind boggling to think that BC was able to beat UNC and Duke this year yet lose to Harvard and Saint Louis..Talk about an ultimate high and low.

That comes from the lack of leadership at the top in my opinion.  When Rice shows up they can beat anyone, when he doesn't they can lose any night.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Nice win, but Duke's been overated for a number of years now.  They are pillow soft with their bigs and have been for years.

Honestly, their high rankings are a bit of a joke these days, in my view.

Still a nice win, though.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 10:20:58 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Very typical with a talented but inexperienced team (other than Rice, this is a team that relies on mostly underclassmen).  So often young teams will play up or down to their competition.  They are talented enough to beat the best teams in the ACC, but inexperienced enough to blow a home game vs. Harvard, which really is an inexcusable loss.  Come tournament time, if they are a bubble team, that loss will come back to haunt them big time.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
You gotta think that if BC is anywhere near the bubble, they'll get the beneit of the doubt from the tournament committee, after beating Duke and UNC in the same season.

I caught only the very end of the game (it was killing me to miss most of it), so I didn't get to see how good Reggie Jackson was, but my overall impression of him is that if he improves his long range shooting, he'll be unstoppable. He can already do just about everything else.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 01:42:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
At 19 wins with wins over Duke and UNC the Eagles will be in but they had better not expect a very high ranking as their record versus ranked teams and teams with a good RPI isn't great and they have two just awful losses on their record losing to St. Louis and Harvard. That Harvard loss is especially bad. Without that Duke win, I doubt they would have made it unless they swept the last 4. They still really need to take three of the last 4 with one of the wins being against FSU and they can not afford another bad loss by losing to Georgia Tech. I see an 8 or 9 seed in their future, maybe even a 10.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
As long as they don't pull something like an 0-4 or 1-3 over these last four games, they're in.  Win a game or two in the ACC tournament and I think its a lock.

Great win for the Eagles last night.  Tar Heels and Blue Devils in the same season with this team?  I wouldn't have expected it the least. 

Anything that happens the rest of this year is gravy, I really think next season is the one to look at with eager anticipation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:40 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

Anything that happens the rest of this year is gravy, I really think next season is the one to look at with eager anticipation.

Even without Rice next year?
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:09 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, as much as I like Rice, I think he sometimes works to the detriment of the others in the system.  I think he's better equiped to the half court set while I think the other guys (Sanders, Jackson, etc.) would thrive better as a running team.  I also just think another year under the belt for Jackson, Sanders, and Trap is gonna pay dividends next year. 

I'm not trying to knock Rice here, I just think that, in some instances, he holds them back. 

Just one man's opinion.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
i def love the trio of jackson, sanders, and trapani going forward next year....i think Sanders is gonna make a huge leap next year when he is out of Rice's shadow
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I have barely been able to watch BC this year because they are rarely, if ever, in HD. There would be rioting in the south if that was the case there.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Yeah, as much as I like Rice, I think he sometimes works to the detriment of the others in the system.  I think he's better equiped to the half court set while I think the other guys (Sanders, Jackson, etc.) would thrive better as a running team.  I also just think another year under the belt for Jackson, Sanders, and Trap is gonna pay dividends next year. 

I'm not trying to knock Rice here, I just think that, in some instances, he holds them back. 

Just one man's opinion.
I agree with the general statement that they will be better next year. Southern, Trapani, Sanders, Jackson and Paris are all freshman and Sophs. They will only get better as they get older. All the super sophs have improved from last year to this year there is no reason that they can't improve more.

As far as Rice being a half court point guard, I have to strongly disagree. Rice is a certainly a up tempo pg. However,  Skinner's offense as well as teams doubling him causes him to be a half court player. 
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19