Author Topic: Larry Bird H-O-R-S-E recruiting story.  (Read 8079 times)

Larry Bird H-O-R-S-E recruiting story.
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Thought this was an interesting tidbit about Denny Crum trying to recruit Larry Bird to Louisville.

http://louisville.edu/ur/ucomm/mags/spring2007/crum.html

Recruiting "Larry Legend"

Some Cardinal fans think the story of Crum's attempt to recruit Bird is folklore—maybe even an urban legend. But most of it is true, the coach says. By all accounts, Crum was just about unbeatable in HORSE—the classic backyard shooting contest where a player must match their opponent shot for shot. Crum always challenged his incoming freshmen to a game.

"I beat every freshman that ever came in here," he grins. "But most of the time after I beat them, I wouldn't play them again, because every day they're going to be doing shooting drills and getting better and better. And I don't have time to do that stuff."

Crum's most effective shot was his patented 40-footer from the side, behind the backboard—an impossible angle from way out of bounds.

"It's got to be perfect. And you have to have the perfect arch to get it over the corner of the board and still be going down."

The coach was automatic from either corner. He could also hook the ball with either hand—a must in HORSE. On top of that, Crum also had anywhere-in-the-gym range.

His secret?

"I worked on a weight thing where you would take a broom handle and a rope and tie weights on the bottom, and I stand up on a bench and roll that rope around that stick," Crum recalls. "It developed my wrists and forearms.

"I didn't care where they put me. It didn't matter. I could shoot from way outside—much farther than most of them could."

In 1974, Larry Bird was a highly recruited high school basketball star from French Lick, Ind. Crum had watched a couple of his games and really wanted Bird to consider Louisville.

"When I sat down to talk to him, he told us that he had already decided that he was going to Indiana," Crum recalls. "I thought maybe if he came to visit he might really like it, so I invited him to make a trip to Louisville."

But Bird insisted that he was committed to Indiana University, and he wasn't going to make any other visits.

"I said, 'Well, let's play a game of HORSE. If I beat you, you come for a visit. If you beat me, you don't have to come.' He said, 'OK.' "

Bird started by hitting a left-handed hook, which Crum was able to match. Then Bird missed his next shot and Crum made another left-handed hook. But Bird matched that.

"Then I tried a different shot and I missed," says Crum, borrowing a notebook and pen. "And then [pointing to a quickly drawn half-court diagram] he got way out here. He was way out there. Here's the mid-court line right here. They had another line right here. If this was the mid-court line right here, you actually had another line here. He would just back way out up here and just bury them. Well, I could hardly see the rim."

Here's where Crum's competitive juices simmer up:

"There were about eight lights out in that little gym and the rim was gray—metallic gray. There was no paint left on it. It had all been knocked off over the years. You could hardly see it.

"I had no shot. I had no shot of out-shooting him in that gym. Whether I could or not in a regular gym, I don't know. But I think I would have done a whole lot better.

"Well, he obviously didn't have to come visit."

Re: Larry Bird H-O-R-S-E recruiting story.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
good stuff
Yup

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Wow, thats definitely in the top-10 lamest stories of all-time!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
I concur with Redz, very interesting.

Mr. Suttlesworth #20, didn't your parents teach you the old saying about "if you can't say anything nice...."?
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:36:57 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

And where does your post rank? Please enlighten us, O great judge of lameness.

I personally enjoyed it. I never tire of hearing stuff like this about Larry.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

I'm glad I can enlighten your day.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

Don't worry, you enlightened my day.  ;D

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186

Don't worry, you enlightened my day.  ;D

Ditto.

Kind of reminded me of the story Bob Ryan wrote about the day after (or 2 days after) Larry retired.  It went something like this:

Ryan was a "Celebrity" halftime contestant at a BC game.  He had 30 seconds to make a layup, a 3 point shot and a half court shot.  If he made the three shots someone won a huge trip.  Didn't happen and he was telling Bird the story of the event and the excuses why he didn't finish it. 
Bird told Ryan to time him and he'd give it a try.  Ryan looked at his watch and said Go.  Bird made the lay up, dribbled out and made the 3 point shot, dribbled out to half court and shot......nothing but net.  10 seconds.
The kicker to the story was what Bird said afterwards, if he was doing the contest "for real" he would have tried to bank the half court shot so in case he missed he could have gotten the long rebound and had a chance for a second shot."  I love this story.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »

Offline WayneKreklow

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
I never get tired of hearing Larry stories.

TP for sharing