Author Topic: Yes, Gabe Pruitt again...  (Read 5659 times)

Re: Yes, Gabe Pruitt again...
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Consistently?

He was pretty turnover prone in the D league. That may have something to do with the players he was working with; but he has not proven much in the limited minutes other than the fact that he can play in the NBA. When and where is the question.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Consistently?

He was pretty turnover prone in the D league. That may have something to do with the players he was working with; but he has not proven much in the limited minutes other than the fact that he can play in the NBA. When and where is the question.

I think that he has shown the skills. I also believe that given some consistent time he would become more consistent.

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:28 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I dont remember saying we should sit Ray and play Gabe instead.
I just gave my 2 cents as to weather I thought he had what it takes to play at this level, and also said we should try and retain him.
And in the future I would like to see him play the 2 some with Rondo at point, for full blown defense, trapping, and some serious fast break ball, while drilling the other teams second unit.
This would be a 3 man rotation at guard.
Ray allen wont be here forever, and if we do things right, I think Pruit has the potential to play combo guard, with Rondo and a third player.
I believe it could be very effective.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 11:10:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree, both with Nick and the original premise.

Pruitt really hasn't done anything on the floor to warrant additional minutes - except be out there with House. Whether he pleys well or not, Pruitt's presence on the floor makes House a better player.

I agree that House plays much better with Pruitt out there.  But actually watching Pruitt play, it seems like it has more to do with the fact that he has any ability to handle the ball, and that he is NOT Tony Allen.  It is much more an argument against Allen, and House playing PG, than an argument for Pruitt. 

I really have not felt like Pruitt's play has been great.  He has had flashes, but he has also had the deer in headlights look way too often. 

This team needs another guy who can handle the ball, that's for sure.  I just am not sure if that is Pruitt come playoff time.

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yes. I don't think Pruitt is a world beater by any means. But I do think that as this team is currently constructed, Pruitt ( with his deficiencies )makes this team better in a pretty significant way. As someone mentioned, the fact that he can start the offense, not turn the ball over as much like TA does, hit the occasional three and allow Eddie to play the off guard...has a good net impact on the team.

He'll still make mistakes, for sure. Have bad games, for sure. But I think he's doing enough to get out there a bit more.

If we signed Marbury or some other solid Vet point for the stretch I wouldn't expect to see much of Pruitt and I don't think that would be bad either.

But if this is what we're going with in the backcourt, Cassell and all, I'd be playing the crap out of Pruitt now and be letting him take his lumps now and trying to get him as ready as possible.

His defense alone in the backcourt could be helpful in the playoffs   

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
I'd agree with Dmopower here. At 6'4", Pruitt has the height and the shooting ability to at least play the off guard "in spurts" and in the right matchups. ACombo guard. I alos would like to see a little bit of Rondo/Pruitt in the backcourt.

I defiantely like Pruitt as a long term ideal 5th guard / combo guard. Kind of like a Delonte West Type. He has a ways to go to get there, mostly because he doesn;'t seem to play with that intensity the DWest does. But I think the talent is there to be that 5th guard, long term.

And for now, he's way better than house at point.

he may truly come into his own as the back up combo guard next year, if, as someone mentioned he's still here.

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
He may come into his own next year - wasn't that the plan for this year? We're filling entirely too many roster spots with young guys whom we hope pan out but have shown little to indicate they will ever contribute. I have no problem dealing Pruitt - he has some nice skills, but none good enough to keep him on the court for a championship-caliber NBA team, at least this year. If he had those, I can't imagine it would take an injury to a guy who routinely dribbles the ball off his feet and out of bounds to get some playing time. If we can get anything for him this year, I'd be more than happy to let him go and if we like him for the future, take another shot at him next year.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gabe Pruitt sucks.  I hope a month from now he's been cut... cuz it will mean that we've signed a relevant player to take his spot.

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 12:35:37 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Even if Gabe Pruitt apparently "sucks", this team, as constructed, like it or not, is a better team with Pruitt playing back up point rather than Eddie and with Eddie playing back up off guard rather than TAllen.

TAllen should play nothign else other than back up small forward where he tries to wreak some havoc on the boards and handles the ball less.

As far as I can see Pruitt is a very tenacious on the ball defender at the point, has a decent outside shot and doesn't turn the ball over much.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for a more "relevant" player either but show me the deal...

In the meantime, as constructed are we better off with Eddie at point and TAllen at off, or with Pruitt at point and Eddie at off?

At least Pruitt has proven he can bring the ball up, start the offense fairly quickly ( we're usually at about 8 seconds on the shot clock by the time Eddie gets the ball over half court), defend the point and shoot the open three. Something that, between their combined skill sets, Eddie and TAllen haven't been able to do...

Eddie can shoot the three and defend "ok" but he can't bring the ball up or run the offense. TAllen can defend but he can't handle the ball, run the offense or shoot.       

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 12:46:33 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Gabe Pruitt sucks.  I hope a month from now he's been cut... cuz it will mean that we've signed a relevant player to take his spot.
there are like 3 players in this team that are cut material over Pruitt

lets see....

Tony Allen bigger contract and stinking this days
JR and Bill, still more raw than the boy
Scal....If it wasnt for his contract
POB yes even with his 7 feet full of softness

I dont get what u get for relevant but this days for me
relevant is someone that doesnt put his head down and runs like
a madman against tough D.*see Allen, Tony
 And who we can relevantly use for years
to come as backup PG, when Sam decides to stay as a coach
and yes...hes coming back.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 03:05:12 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

First, of all Gabe Pruitt, no matter where you see him on the spectrum, is replaceable.  I'm not sure there's anyone out there who think 3 years from now that if he's not on this team we're going to be kicking ourselves as Pruitt leads the Charlotte Bobcats to the NBA title.  Thus, while it may be the plan that "he comes into his own" as the backup PG of the team, we probably could find someone with skills comparable to Pruitt's on the FA market this summer for roughly the same cost. 

Second, I disagree with Edgar that there are 4 players more worthy of being cut over Pruitt.  While I agree that Pruitt probably has more use over Walker and Giddens, both have guaranteed deals for next year.  Thus, it'll cost the C's twice as much to cut one of them as it will to cut Pruitt.  I also disagree about Tony Allen.  While I don't particularly like Allen, his defensive prowess makes him more valuable than Pruitt.  The only player I'd cut before Pruitt would be POB and possibly Cassell, but only if we were to bring in Marbury or another real PG.

Ultimately, I think Cassell starts to get some play, and regardless of whether he pans out, I think once the playoffs roll around it's going to be Cassell or House and Tony Allen who make the 8-9 man rotation.  While some people have visions of Pruitt taking Allen's place, let's keep in mind that Tony Allen for all of his flaws is the only player on the bench who can stick with the likes of Joe Johnson, LeBron James, and Kobe Bryant.