Author Topic: All-Star Horse  (Read 3289 times)

All-Star Horse
« on: February 14, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
this is the worst thing i've ever seen, all there doing is shooting long range 3's and missing. OJ just hit a jumper with his off hand and Johnson air balled.

Re: All-Star Horse
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
LOL. I think it's pretty entertaining.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
It was okay. It would have been better if they were playing on a full court with more room.

Also, I think this was the classic example of the saying "less is more".

Take away the stupid GEICO sponsor, the ref, the shot clock, get Ernie Johnson out of there, shut off CWebb and Kenny Smith's microphones, and it would have been WAY more fun.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:10:52 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
It was okay. It would have been better if they were playing on a full court with more room.

Take away the stupid GEICO sponsor, the ref, the shot clock, get Ernie Johnson out of there, shut off CWebb and Kenny Smith's microphones, and it would have been WAY more fun.

Disagree, I thought Kenny and CWebb  were in the proper spirit for what this should be. Durant should have listened to them and gotten the kid and his dad from the crowd.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »

Offline go11celtics

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
yeah i think it was ok but not great. the thing that killed it was durant just shooting 3's. there is already a competition for that. otherwise, it was entertaining. i would expect it to get better in the next few years though.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I gotta say that I was a bit disappointed.  It was decent but not that entertaining. 

I'll cut it some slack, though.  It was the first year, I expect the NBA to work out the kinks and, hopefully, get the right players in there for the future.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:02:26 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
The trick shots from pete maravich were much more entertaining than this crap.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
different players would have been better. OJ was good, and JJ's finger spin one would have been sick.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • "Spare change?"

Disagree, I thought Kenny and CWebb  were in the proper spirit for what this should be. Durant should have listened to them and gotten the kid and his dad from the crowd.
Yeah, that idea with the kid was pretty good. But have you ever seen the famous Pistol Pete clip that's posted on here all the time? I'm not saying that these guys would have come even close to that if they took away all the things that I said in my last post, but the environment would have matched that clip's environment.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
It wasn't as great I would expect it since it was all average to me. Next year they could get some players who will make it more exciting. I'm tired of just waiting for 3 point shootout and dunk contest need something else too.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:42 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

I couldn't agree more with what you said. The environment was a really awkward one for the players. I understand Ernie is trying to do his job, but could he have been any more clumsy with his questions? He should have stopped pestering the players with questions that didn't need answering. Webber and Smith tried to be funny, but for the most part they were unnecessary.

This horse game felt contrived and phony. I think that is a real shame too. The players seemed to be apathetic and indifferent.

Kenny's idea of having Durant get a kid from the crowd was terrible. What was Durant supposed to do with a kid in a horse game?

But all the blame cannot be forced on the production. The players were bad too. They all took terrible shots. There was no consistency in what they were doing. It was brutal to watch. However, there is a good chance that their poor performance can be attributed to that miserable environment.

This was an example of the NBA wanting to make the viewer feel like he's right there in the action. However, if they wanted to capitalize on this idea they should have took the exact opposite approach. Because the behavior of everyone involved was incredibly insincere.

The toy horse Durant was awarded was a display of extremely poor taste. It deserved no laughter, and it was a sad way to cap off a gloomy night.

I'll have to echo the previous poster's thoughts and say less would have been much better.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:24:46 AM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 04:11:31 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • "Spare change?"

I couldn't agree more with what you said. The environment was a really awkward one for the players. I understand Ernie is trying to do his job, but could he have been anymore clumsy with his questions? He should have stopped pestering the players with questions that didn't need answering. Webber and Smith tried to be funny, but for the most part they were unnecessary.

This horse game felt contrived and phony. I think that is a real shame too. The players seemed to be apathetic and indifferent.

Kenny's idea of having Durant get a kid from the crowd was terrible. What was Durant supposed to do with a kid in a horse game?

But all the blame cannot be forced on the production. The players were bad too. They all took terrible shots. There was no consistency in what they were doing. It was brutal to watch. However, there is a good chance that their poor performance can be attributed to that miserable environment.

This was an example of the NBA wanting to make the viewer feel like he's right there in the action. However, if they wanted to capitalize on this idea they should have took the exact opposite approach. Because the behavior of everyone involved was incredibly insincere.

The toy horse Durant was awarded was extremely poor taste. It deserved no laughter, and it was a sad way to cap off a gloomy night.

I'll have to echo the previous poster's thoughts and say less would have been much better.
Glad that you agree with me. As for the players acting apathetic, if you want their true personalities to show through, take away all the crap that we just talked about. Again, watch the old Pistol Pete clip to see what I'm talking about.