Author Topic: Where do you predict today's stars will go in the greatest of all time list?  (Read 6596 times)

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
D-Wade is going to be top 30 easily.

This list is 12 years old.  Without counting the Lebrons and Kobes, please find me 21 players that you think D Wade is going to be better than.

http://www.nba.com/history/50greatest.html
God bless and good night!

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Two guys in the NBA are top 10 all time.  Duncan and Shaq.

Top 50, you can add guys like Kobe, Lebron, KG, Nash and Kidd. 

The rest, it is very arguable. 

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

This list is 12 years old.  Without counting the Lebrons and Kobes, please find me 21 players that you think D Wade is going to be better than.

Lenny Wilkins, Dave Bing, Paul Arizin, Nate Archibald, Billy Cunningham, Dave DeBusschere, Clyde Drexler, James Worthy, Bill Walton, Scottie Pippen, Robert Parrish , Earl Monroe , Pete Maravich, Bob Petit , David Robinson, Elvin Hayes, George Gervin, Charles Barkley , Jerry lucas.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Very interesting that Shaq is on that list -- I do believe he is one of the Top 50, but it is interesting that he was put on that list 12 years ago.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Lenny Wilkins, Dave Bing, Paul Arizin, Nate Archibald, Billy Cunningham, Dave DeBusschere, Clyde Drexler, James Worthy, Bill Walton, Scottie Pippen, Robert Parrish , Earl Monroe , Pete Maravich, Bob Petit , David Robinson, Elvin Hayes, George Gervin, Charles Barkley , Jerry lucas.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
God bless and good night!

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

This is an interesting site that provides useful stats on the "Hall-of-Fame-ness" of players:
http://www.databasebasketball.com/leaders/leadershof.htm

IMHO, it seems a little early to argue D-Wade deserves to be Top-50, but Nate Archibald does not...
(I am trying to pick a similar player -- sort of hard to compare Robinson or Barkley to Wade).
Celtics fan for life.

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
Chris Paul is better than Isaiah Thomas and John Stockton right now. Magic is the only point guard better.

D-Rose will be the best NBA Pg in 3 years.

Kevin DUrant will be a better scorer than Larry Bird. I've never seen a 20 year old score like Kevin Durant. Only a 22 year old T-Mac was more versatile in scoring.

Dwayne Wade is better than Paul Pierce.

Kevin Garnett is being exposed as a weak scorer inside the paint these days.

You lost all credibility the second you said Chris Paul is better than Isaiah Thomas was or John Stockton was. Are you 12 years old or something? Come on man. You dont make sense. In one sentence you say that Chris Paul is the second bes PG in history behind Magic, then you say the D-Rose will be the best PG in the league in 3 years... huh????? So Derek Rose will be better than Chris Paul in three years for some reason only you know. Chris Paul was sick last year, it takes more than that to be even close to the top of the PG list.

Also, you predict Kevin Durant will be a better scorer than Larry Bird? Why, because he scored a bunch in the rookie-sophomore game? Come on man. You show no respect for anybody who played before you were born. I'm not an old timer, but I atleast do my homework before I make predictions out of my you know what.

To KCattheStripe, do you know who Pete Maravich is? Come on man, D Wade has some work to do before he gets to his status.

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Are those mocking smiles or smiles for a job well done?

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

Ehhh wideload i'll toss a snowball at you on this one. IMHO if Duncan was around in the mid 80's-early 90's where talented big men were common I don't think he would have been as popular, just another "good" player, while I can't give you clear cut evidence on it, picture Duncan next to guys like Jabbar, Hakeem "the dream", Mchale, Ewing, Parish, Worthy, Robinson, Malone, Mourning when he was young, Laimbeer, sort of long list.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
O'Neal, Duncan, Bryant, James, and Garnett can all crack the top fifteen.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:21:30 AM by KungPoweChicken »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Ehhh wideload i'll toss a snowball at you on this one. IMHO if Duncan was around in the mid 80's-early 90's where talented big men were common I don't think he would have been as popular, just another "good" player, while I can't give you clear cut evidence on it, picture Duncan next to guys like Jabbar, Hakeem "the dream", Mchale, Ewing, Parish, Worthy, Robinson, Malone, Mourning when he was young, Laimbeer, sort of long list.

Lead his team to 4 titles.  2 NBA MVPs.  3 NBA finals MVPs. 

Not to mention this
11 All-NBA Teams (nine First Team nominations), and 11 All-Defensive Teams (eight First Team nominations).[3] With these impressive performances, Duncan is one of only four players to receive All-NBA First Team honors in each of his first eight seasons (1998–2005), along with Hall of Famers Bob Pettit (ten seasons), Larry Bird (nine seasons), and Oscar Robertson (nine seasons), and is notably the only player in NBA history to receive All-NBA and All-Defensive honors in his first eleven seasons (1998-2008).[77]

Yes, he is top 10 all time.

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I really think that Lebron has the potential of raching top 5 status. He is really something special but has to conintue to improve to move even into the top 10 all time, but I think he will. Until Kobe wiins at least one title on his own, apart from Shaq that is, I dont think he will be viewed in the same breath as some of the other greats. It's not that he doesnt deserve it but he needs to win a little more first. Duncan already is the best power forward ever with apologies to Kevin McHale and "the Mailman". If Chris Pual continues to improve then he will go down as a better player then most think. If Pierce carries us deep, deep into the playoffs the way he did last year his stock too will rise.

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Below is a list of my fifteen greatest players ever, in no particular order.

Bill Russell
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'Neal
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Karl Malone
Oscar Robertson
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Lebron James
Kevin Garnett
Wilt Chamberlain
Bob Pettit

You can take out or put in a player here or there. However, that is the general outline of my fifteen greatest. In my opinion, Duncan, Shaq, James, Bryant, and Garnett are all good enough to get in.

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Real GM has been hosting a top-100 players of All Time thread that started last August.  The methodology is that a group of active posters got together, and each nominated a candidate for #1 with a justification for why.  After the list was created, they took 2 days to vote for #1, and each person that voted would nominate a person for #2 with explanation.  And so on, down the rankings.  They are up to #68 of all time now.

This ranking list is far from infallible (I disagree with quite a few, myself), but it is a list where a lot of thought went into it from a bunch of relatively non-partisan fans.  "Top player" rankings were done on career achievements, not necessarily a pure question of "who's best?" which is why LeBron is quite a bit further down than some of the others.  Current players in the top-50 of this vote: Shaq (#8), Duncan (#9), Kobe (#18), KG (#20), LeBron (#36), Kidd (#38), Nash (#39), Dirk (#41), Iverson (#50).  Current top-20 of the vote:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Magic Johnson
6. Larry Bird
7. Hakeem Olajuwon
8. Shaquille O'Neal
9. Tim Duncan
10.Julius Erving
11.Jerry West
12.Oscar Robertson