Author Topic: Gabe Pruitt this offseason  (Read 3131 times)

Gabe Pruitt this offseason
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:52:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Gabe has developed pretty nicely. Granted, he has not gotten much burn, but he has the makings of a rotational player on a good team.

There is a team option on Gabes contract for next season... I'd love to see Ainge tear that up and sign him to a back loaded 4 year deal worth $6 - 8 Million, backloaded, and with years 3 and 4 a team option indivually.

Am I being unrealistic? I might be...
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Gabe Pruitt this offseason
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:31:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
based on the limited exposure he's had in games, we're better off keeping him on the 3rd year of the existing contract and then going from there. 

If he pans out next year (as in becomes a genuine rotation player), resign him.  If not, don't resign him and the money isn't locked up (notice I'm not saying it's available to sign someone else since the C's will still be over the cap and this won't exactly be available for FA's)

What he's most likely to impact in the offseason is to allow the C's to use Tony and/or House (and Veal, POB) as expiring contracts to get a front court player provided Danny/Doc think he can step up. 

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:38:39 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Gabe hasn't played well enough to warrant a 4 year deal.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 02:51:38 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Gabe hasn't played well enough to warrant a 4 year deal.
There's no reason to lock Gabe up for that long without knowing who he really is as a player. Gabe's play hasn't given me too much to complain about, but he doesn't have a track record proving that he's worth a 4-year investment. Pick up his option, see how he plays next year, and chances are he would still accept that contract in the summer of 2010.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:43:24 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Agreed.  And I wouldn't even go as far as to say definitely pick up his option.  This team already has 10 people under contract.  Add a player option which House will probably exercise and the fact that we'll probably resign Davis or Powe (if not both) and you're already at 12 or 13 roster spots before Pruitt.  If there's better options out there, I wouldn't be upset to see him go. 

Worst case scenario, he leaves and becomes a decent 7th or 8th man in a couple years.  That's hardly tragic.  There's probably about as good of a chance of that happening as him being out of the league.   

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think it be better to pick up his option or re-sign then trade him if he's not everything we hope for in a role player. I rather see what he brings before we decide if he will be here long term.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:10:08 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I would try and sign him for a few years if I were able.
What are the chances he forgets how to shoot or dribble in the next 2 or 3 years, he shows more poise than GG,RD ais learning fairly well, even while not playing much.
And appears to have a positive attitude.
The kids a keeper, I hope we dont blow it.
I could be wrong, but my predictions about AJ were on, This could be the second comming of the sun shinning on a donkeys, well anyway, I hope we keep him.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Agreed.  And I wouldn't even go as far as to say definitely pick up his option. 

Me neither. But is there an option? I thought his contract is already guaranteed for the next season.

Unless he breaks out post-ASG, I don't think it makes much sense to negotiate an extension this Summer.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I thought there was an option, too.

No way I talk extension with him unless he shows a LOT more in the second half.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
No one is giving Gabe Pruitt any type of deal like that in this economy, guys...
God bless and good night!

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It would be nice to have a guy with a nice tradeable contract. Give Gabe more than he is worth, just for that reason.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 10:08:03 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I would try and sign him for a few years if I were able.
What are the chances he forgets how to shoot or dribble in the next 2 or 3 years, he shows more poise than GG,RD ais learning fairly well, even while not playing much.
And appears to have a positive attitude.
The kids a keeper, I hope we dont blow it.
I could be wrong, but my predictions about AJ were on, This could be the second comming of the sun shinning on a donkeys, well anyway, I hope we keep him.

Al Jefferson and Gabe Pruitt are totally different animals.  Everyone thought that Jefferson was going to be a stud.  That's hardly a revelation. 

And why would should Ainge lock up Pruitt long term?  Who exactly is he bidding against?  Himself?  I don't think anyone's going to be knocking down the door for a second round pick who has yet to crack the C's rotation.  If anything, Pruitt should be grateful if the C's want him back in any capacity. 

Someone else mentioned the team option.  According to hoopshype, the team has a team option next year.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm