Author Topic: Garnett's Head Games: childish tantrum or intentional vet move?  (Read 12175 times)

Re: Garnett's Head Games: childish tantrum or intentional vet move?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 02:51:53 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Bottom line. KG is on our team. If he was on another, then we should be having this argument. Fact is, every time he does this, usually because we're down, we end up on top. I wish he would do this more consistently, especially against Gasol.  

It was evident that Dirk was trying harder after the KG mind games. Yea, hello? He was trying TOO hard. Dirk started forcing things and just chucking up jumpers. So to me, that means KG got in his head even if just a little bit. And Im sure he was still barking from the sidelines. lol. KG and I have the same birthday and are Tauruses, thats how we do. I try to get in my friends heads whether its basketball, videogames, or poker. lol. thats how we operate

Good point about Dirk, I didn't even think of it that way but it makes sense about him trying too hard.

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think they won despite KG picking up 5 fouls and having to sit on the bench for 12 minutes, not because of it... KG wasnt even on the floor when dirk struggled, when KG was on the floor, he DOMINATED KG and scored on him at will and even made a 3 to tie the game with a minute to go, which then Pierce scores/draws an offensive foul/scores.Game
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Bottom line. KG is on our team. If he was on another, then we should be having this argument. Fact is, every time he does this, usually because we're down, we end up on top. I wish he would do this more consistently, especially against Gasol.  

It was evident that Dirk was trying harder after the KG mind games. Yea, hello? He was trying TOO hard. Dirk started forcing things and just chucking up jumpers. So to me, that means KG got in his head even if just a little bit. And Im sure he was still barking from the sidelines. lol. KG and I have the same birthday and are Tauruses, thats how we do. I try to get in my friends heads whether its basketball, videogames, or poker. lol. thats how we operate

Good point about Dirk, I didn't even think of it that way but it makes sense about him trying too hard.

Trying too hard? is there even such a thing? he  was doing the same thing Pierce was doing, he just missed shots all when KG was out, KG came in, and he started scoring again
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 03:06:54 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton

Trying too hard? is there even such a thing? he  was doing the same thing Pierce was doing, he just missed shots all when KG was out, KG came in, and he started scoring again

There is definately such a thing as trying too hard in many aspects of the game and in life.

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
A few things.

It's not unlike Dirk to go completely cold in the fourth quarter.
It's a big reason that Dallas has trouble finishing games out.
So I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to KG, especially since he wasn't even on the floor when Dirk struggled.

Last night KG was dangerously close to being tossed. He just didn't know when to stop. In fact, I think if it had been anyone else on the C's he would have been. Remember Pierce being tossed at the Garden?  What KG was doing was three times as bad as what PP did. I'm not really complaining, I'm just saying that if KG really thought this all out ahead of time to fire up the team, I don't think he would have carried it as far as did.  He really seemed to me to be out of control.

This entire premise also suggests that PP needs someone else to fire him up in order to score big in the fourth quarter.  I think Pierce can fire himself up at any time he wants.  I've seen it many, many times.

TP for you!  I agree... how can KG be in anybody's head when he's sitting on the bench?  In order for KG"s so-called plan to work, he would have to be on the floor to carry it out.  

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think they won despite KG picking up 5 fouls and having to sit on the bench for 12 minutes, not because of it... KG wasnt even on the floor when dirk struggled, when KG was on the floor, he DOMINATED KG and scored on him at will and even made a 3 to tie the game with a minute to go, which then Pierce scores/draws an offensive foul/scores.Game

I more or less concur.  I love KG's intensity, and no doubt it is infectious with the rest of the team.  But the proof is in the pudding -- Dirk scored 37 points.  I thought KG was close to losing it and going over the edge last night.  Again, don't get me wrong -- I love the guy and love that he is a Celtic.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
Not having watched KG much outside of last year and this, I was at first thinking he was messing up again when he got into Dirks face last night. But, after watching the outcome I must say that maybe there is a reason KG makes the money he does. Was he over-aggressive? Was he acting like a kid throwing a tantrum? Or, was he doing what had to be done to motivate an exhausted, road weary team?

Personally, I say give the man the benefit of the doubt. We did win and the turning point was with this situation. I think as fans we should not be judging the players that much on what it takes to win games. Furthermore, I would never, ever get too upset with a player for being too "intense" and trying to win. After all, we could have Mark Blount out there playing. KG has been in the NBA a long time, played a ton of games, and seen all the players first hand. If anyone knows how to play them, he does. Why should we question a future hall of fame player for the way he dominates the game.

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'm sorry but how is it bad that he's having a little tantrum at getting schooled. i frickin love that he gets fired up from that. kg is'nt afraid of being embarassed or ending up at the bottom of a poster kind of thing. he has gotten scored on when he did the cobra thing he does. then he does it again. he can have his tantrum. he cares.
  you know who did'nt care enough? almost every player on every team after the phoenix suns played  jordan in the finals years ago. after that year the whole league started respecting jordan too much.no more hard fouls. no more getting right up in his face because nobody wanted to be embarassed.he had every mid range jumper he wanted.
    we are so lucky to have a guy who cares this much. very few in history have in my opinion. i've said it before. get jerry wests stupid image off the logo and replace it with kg with a swearing bubble obver his head.   

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 07:14:17 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Simple head games.

I thought it was fairly obvious. It wasn't so much about motivating the team as it was about flustering Dirk. I think that's what TNT really exaggerated. I have to say I like it a lot more when KG does it while we are down or in close games. It's pretty hard to defend him when he does this stuff while we're up 20.

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Simple head games.

I thought it was fairly obvious. It wasn't so much about motivating the team as it was about flustering Dirk. I think that's what TNT really exaggerated. I have to say I like it a lot more when KG does it while we are down or in close games. It's pretty hard to defend him when he does this stuff while we're up 20.

It worked to, Dirk may have hit the next shot and KG sat down, but he was clerly being bothered by him, and finished the game very poorly. KG is a strange guy, we love him when he's on our team and his antics help the C's win, but it drives us nuts when he gets too fired up. But in all honesty, how often does it really happen that his energy costs the Celtics a game?

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2009, 07:19:16 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
ok. but there needs to be an exception for jose" we would have won the olympics ,i celebrate every 3 point shot,tj fords is better than me" calderon.

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2009, 07:48:04 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!

There is definately such a thing as trying too hard in many aspects of the game and in life.

thank you. i meant trying to do too much as in forcing things. if u watch the game pre-garnett tirade, Dirk was going with the flow of things, letting it come to him. He was going to the basket when a lane opened up, or he was spotting up from deep when the mavs got penetration. After the whole KG thing, he went away from what was working. He started trying to drive even though we were clogging the lane, and he was taking contested jumpers instead of spotting up.

So, all in all. I think he was trying too hard, and it was clearly evident that he was playing a different style afterwards. case closed

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
ok. but there needs to be an exception for jose" we would have won the olympics ,i celebrate every 3 point shot,tj fords is better than me" calderon.

Now, that was a tantrum.

I honestly think Calderon said something to KG that ticked him off.

In response KG did all that he could to embarrass him.

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 07:56:54 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Seeing the likes of Bird play in person many times, KG is very much in that same mold with one difference, he plays games on defense instead of offense.  Both are guys that talk a lot of smack.  KG steps it up when the other guy begins to engage in the talking and he knows he is getting to them, even if it means giving a foul.  With Bird, it was taking an unnecessary left handed shot just to show he could and making them think they should throw up such shots on the other end to try and match him(thus hurting their team).

It is part of the game, and even though Reggie Miller acted like KG was out of control, he did say that this has always been KG's style.  As long as we win I could care less.  I also liked Perk's foul on Kidd.  It was perfectly timed and clearly rattled Kidd.

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
When you watch the old films and see Larry, DA, Max, McHale doing this stuff you freaking cheer like a a homer. When you get to see a HoFer doing it NOW, you whine.

Who cares that he hit for 37. LeBron hit for 45 and PP 41 but who was the hero?

If you have REALLY played on a team, as a team, you will not underestimate the motivation that can come from defending your team mate.