Author Topic: Bill Simmons' New NBA Untouchable Rankings Out  (Read 15985 times)

Re: Bill Simmons' New NBA Untouchable Rankings Out
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I completely disagree with carhole in regards to the Duncan/Garnett defensive quality. Duncan has a single advantage: he's much better defending the post straight up versus bigger players. However, there are plenty of competent guys doing that and a handful of them are fairly better than Duncan. Garnett has always had the edge doing everything else, allowed him to impact the game much more. Particularly important is his unparalleled  ability to defend the screen/roll play - which is such a big part of the NBA game - that, from my perspective, separates him from Duncan (or, by that matter, any other contemporary big man). OTOH, I see Duncan as the best player on the other side of the floor (at least most seasons).
And I compare KG in terms of his "team defense" as being very similar to Larry Bird as crazy as that may sound. But, for all of KG's individual weaknesses, there is no denying that he glues the team together on that end of the floor like Bird did back in the day. I've never seen someone get away with so many illegal defenses as Bird but he was great at confusing the heck out of whoever he was fudging towards.  Just an observation on the KG on defense comment.

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
I am 100% certain San Antonio would have won those titles with Garnet and there is one reason why POPOVICH!!!!

The guy has been the best coach in the NBA for 10 years and I would rank him as a top 5 coach in NBA History.  I might even make him #1, they his teams execute in the playoffs is incredible.  If Ginobili did not get hurt in the playoffs last year I have no doubt we would have played the Spurs in the Finals.

I dont disagree that Pop is a great coach, but you can not be certain about that and I guess using your rationale you must "have no doubt" that if bynum didnt get hurt the C's would not have their rings.

I don't know what happened, but I had a someone lengthy and detailed post in response to this, but it is gone.

Essentially said that I don't agree with the link you make to the Laker w/ Bynum beating the Celtics.  I don't see a parallel between that and the argument drza44 made.

Basically because, especially against the C's, I'm not all that certain that the Lakers aren't better off with Odom and Gasol starting than Gasol and Bynum.  Perk has consistently stopped Bynum from doing much of anything.  He doesn't have the same edge over Gasol.

They are not the same in execution, they are the same in the logic being applied. You can never say "I am 100% certain that it would have happened even with/without this person or event" b/c that is not how it happened. That isnt a point it is an opionion that can not possibly be 100% accurate

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
I completely disagree with carhole in regards to the Duncan/Garnett defensive quality. Duncan has a single advantage: he's much better defending the post straight up versus bigger players. However, there are plenty of competent guys doing that and a handful of them are fairly better than Duncan. Garnett has always had the edge doing everything else, allowed him to impact the game much more. Particularly important is his unparalleled  ability to defend the screen/roll play - which is such a big part of the NBA game - that, from my perspective, separates him from Duncan (or, by that matter, any other contemporary big man). OTOH, I see Duncan as the best player on the other side of the floor (at least most seasons).
And I compare KG in terms of his "team defense" as being very similar to Larry Bird as crazy as that may sound. But, for all of KG's individual weaknesses, there is no denying that he glues the team together on that end of the floor like Bird did back in the day. I've never seen someone get away with so many illegal defenses as Bird but he was great at confusing the heck out of whoever he was fudging towards.  Just an observation on the KG on defense comment.

I could not agree more with your point that KG is the defensive glue for the C's. The problem is that when there is a weakness it will be attacked and when you get to "greatest ever" discussions the only way to form an opinion is to nitpick, i mean these are the best to ever lace them up.

And the bird analogy is a very good one (RE: important to team defense) but also one of my most painful NBA watching experiences was anytime the Lakers needed a bucket in the 87 finals, they just sent Worthy one on one with LB and he crushed him. So probably the only flaw in Birds game (i know it is sacrilegious to say he had one) was exploited in pivotal situations.

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2009, 06:02:34 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I am 100% certain San Antonio would have won those titles with Garnet and there is one reason why POPOVICH!!!!

The guy has been the best coach in the NBA for 10 years and I would rank him as a top 5 coach in NBA History.  I might even make him #1, they his teams execute in the playoffs is incredible.  If Ginobili did not get hurt in the playoffs last year I have no doubt we would have played the Spurs in the Finals.

I dont disagree that Pop is a great coach, but you can not be certain about that and I guess using your rationale you must "have no doubt" that if bynum didnt get hurt the C's would not have their rings.

I don't know what happened, but I had a someone lengthy and detailed post in response to this, but it is gone.

Essentially said that I don't agree with the link you make to the Laker w/ Bynum beating the Celtics.  I don't see a parallel between that and the argument drza44 made.

Basically because, especially against the C's, I'm not all that certain that the Lakers aren't better off with Odom and Gasol starting than Gasol and Bynum.  Perk has consistently stopped Bynum from doing much of anything.  He doesn't have the same edge over Gasol.

They are not the same in execution, they are the same in the logic being applied. You can never say "I am 100% certain that it would have happened even with/without this person or event" b/c that is not how it happened. That isnt a point it is an opionion that can not possibly be 100% accurate

Yes, I understand that.  I guess your use of "you" confused me in saying that drza44 would say that 100% the Lakers would have won with Bynum.  I don't understand why he would be of that opinion, unless by "you" you just meant any person in general could argue it.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Oh, and as for the KG is declining while Duncan isn't argument, I don't see it.  Both are not what they were in '03, but both are still playing at a similar high level.  At this point, they each are playing to their level of need in the regular season then stepping it up in the playoffs.  The Spurs have needed more from Duncan this year due to the injuries to Parker and Ginobili and then getting them re-acclimated to the line-up, while the Celts haven't needed more from KG than he is giving.  But if you look, KG's season this year looks almost exactly like Duncan's in '06: similar stats, similar role (defensive anchor and scorer as needed with two strong scoring perimeter players), both on teams coming off of championships on their way to 60+ wins.  Really, check it out:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duncati01&y1=2006&p2=garneke01&y2=2009

When Duncan does it it's considered smart veteran play from a superstar with postseason focus, but with KG it's a sign that he isn't impact anymore?  I mean really, isn't this Boston where Red and Russell made a mantra out of being unconcerned about the box score as long as the team was winning?  Let's see what happens in the postseason, when KG is consistently called upon to play at his peak, before we write his eulogy...

Good posts - the only thing to me is people on the KG side of the argument seem to think Duncan being slightly better then KG (enough so that some, including myself think it is clear duncan is the greatest pf ever to play) means that KG is garbage or something similar. Who says he doesnt have an affect? Simmons has him in the top 15 area of untouchable players for all of the ways he changes the game for the C's?

Duncan also is a more efficient scorer without the benefit of being nearly as good a ft shooter - TD's biggest weakness - almost a full pps ahead of kg. Because he draws more fouls, that is a huge difference to how a team plays - if PP draws 4 fouls in a quarter going to the hole, then ray allen gets grabbed coming off a screen and gets to the line, really pp did all the work to get ray, or whoever those points and hence get the team easy points and allow for completely different offensive possessions the rest of the quarter.

KG is all time great, but not having an offenive game that gets him to the line is a problem in crunch time and not using superior ability to draw fouls all game long changes the complexion of a game significantly.

I appreciate the reasonable and thought out response, and I grant you Duncan's advantage in drawing fouls...though I do think you're grossly overstating it here.  Duncan a full point-per-shot ahead?  I'm assuming you're talking about in the comp that I showed?  If so, it's more like 1 point per 15 shots or .07 pps difference, which is a much much smaller difference.  And on the flip side, KG has been more efficient on the offensive end as a whole as evidenced by his higher true shooting percentage, his higher offensive rating, and his fewer turnovers/similar # assists. 

If you were instead talking career instead of that comp, again there's a tradeoff.  Duncan gets to the line more, which helps the offense flow for his teammates in one way.  But KG has always been a better passer, which helps the offense flow for his teammates in a different way.  This, actually, speaks a bit to the point I was making earlier about how both KG and Duncan play to their team need:

KG is a player that has had the offense run through him his whole career, and he is good at it.  There's a reason that he broke Bird's 20-point/10-rebound/5-assist record, as he is one of the better passing big men in history.  But on these Celtics, each of GPA had to sacrifice a part of their games.  Pierce sacrificed some scoring volume, Ray sacrificed being the centerpiece, and KG sacrificed his role as an offense generator.  Pierce and Rondo are in charge of having the ball in their hands a lot and setting up their teammates, so KG instead uses his offensive energy in other ways.  He is now a much more efficient shooter than he's been in his career, and he focuses a lot more on his spot-up jumper/spacing the floor/setting picks than he ever did before.  But just because he ISN'T running the offense more, it doesn't mean that he COULDN'T...surveying the floor and setting up teammates isn't something that really declines with age.  It's just better for the team as a whole that he cede those duties to two others.  I think a lot of people whose main KG experience (saw him before, but not with nearly the regularity that they do now) don't take that into account.

And really, back on point, that is a key of the Duncan vs. Garnett argument to me.  They aren't the exact same player, but each has strengths and weaknesses that work in their favors and seem to balance out a lot in overall impact.  Or if there is a difference there, it's not NEARLY as big as the differences in their supporting casts have been.

In other words, it seems to me that the over-arcing pro-Duncan argument is based on the fact that he has had better team results than KG.  One train of logic is that Duncan has had those better results because he is in some way better than KG, but any attempts to show that difference are very small and can have reasonable counterarguments.  On the other hand, the other train of logic is that Duncan has had those better results because he has had better teammates.  That Duncan has had better teammates over their career isn't really up for debate, as it is pretty objectively true.  So in the instance where one line of thought has differences that are (to me) down in the noise, where the other line of thought has significant differences...I would tend to think that it would be harder to base conclusive statements on the area that is debatable than on the area where there is such a stark difference.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:18:33 PM by drza44 »

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2009, 06:14:51 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White

Yes, I understand that.  I guess your use of "you" confused me in saying that drza44 would say that 100% the Lakers would have won with Bynum.  I don't understand why he would be of that opinion, unless by "you" you just meant any person in general could argue it.

I meant any person - sorry if it wasnt clear. I didnt think that was drza's comment, thought it was fugazzi...

drza44's posts were full of fact based arguments! very good posts

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

I meant any person - sorry if it wasnt clear. I didnt think that was drza's comment, thought it was fugazzi...

drza44's posts were full of fact based arguments! very good posts

So they were... my mistake.  Anyways, it's cleared up now, thanks.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
Oh, and as for the KG is declining while Duncan isn't argument, I don't see it.  Both are not what they were in '03, but both are still playing at a similar high level.  At this point, they each are playing to their level of need in the regular season then stepping it up in the playoffs.  The Spurs have needed more from Duncan this year due to the injuries to Parker and Ginobili and then getting them re-acclimated to the line-up, while the Celts haven't needed more from KG than he is giving.  But if you look, KG's season this year looks almost exactly like Duncan's in '06: similar stats, similar role (defensive anchor and scorer as needed with two strong scoring perimeter players), both on teams coming off of championships on their way to 60+ wins.  Really, check it out:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duncati01&y1=2006&p2=garneke01&y2=2009

When Duncan does it it's considered smart veteran play from a superstar with postseason focus, but with KG it's a sign that he isn't impact anymore?  I mean really, isn't this Boston where Red and Russell made a mantra out of being unconcerned about the box score as long as the team was winning?  Let's see what happens in the postseason, when KG is consistently called upon to play at his peak, before we write his eulogy...

Good posts - the only thing to me is people on the KG side of the argument seem to think Duncan being slightly better then KG (enough so that some, including myself think it is clear duncan is the greatest pf ever to play) means that KG is garbage or something similar. Who says he doesnt have an affect? Simmons has him in the top 15 area of untouchable players for all of the ways he changes the game for the C's?

Duncan also is a more efficient scorer without the benefit of being nearly as good a ft shooter - TD's biggest weakness - almost a full pps ahead of kg. Because he draws more fouls, that is a huge difference to how a team plays - if PP draws 4 fouls in a quarter going to the hole, then ray allen gets grabbed coming off a screen and gets to the line, really pp did all the work to get ray, or whoever those points and hence get the team easy points and allow for completely different offensive possessions the rest of the quarter.

KG is all time great, but not having an offenive game that gets him to the line is a problem in crunch time and not using superior ability to draw fouls all game long changes the complexion of a game significantly.

I appreciate the reasonable and thought out response, and I grant you Duncan's advantage in drawing fouls...though I do think you're grossly overstating it here.  Duncan a full point-per-shot ahead?  I'm assuming you're talking about in the comp that I showed?  If so, it's more like 1 point per 15 shots or .07 pps difference, which is a much much smaller difference.  And on the flip side, KG has been more efficient on the offensive end as a whole as evidenced by his higher true shooting percentage, his higher offensive rating, and his fewer turnovers/similar # assists. 

If you were instead talking career instead of that comp, again there's a tradeoff.  Duncan gets to the line more, which helps the offense flow for his teammates in one way.  But KG has always been a better passer, which helps the offense flow for his teammates in a different way.  This, actually, speaks a bit to the point I was making earlier about how both KG and Duncan play to their team need:

KG is a player that has had the offense run through him his whole career, and he is good at it.  There's a reason that he broke Bird's 20-point/10-rebound/5-assist record, as he is one of the better passing big men in history.  But on these Celtics, each of GPA had to sacrifice a part of their games.  Pierce sacrificed some scoring volume, Ray sacrificed being the centerpiece, and KG sacrificed his role as an offense generator.  Pierce and Rondo are in charge of having the ball in their hands a lot and setting up their teammates, so KG instead uses his offensive energy in other ways.  He is now a much more efficient shooter than he's been in his career, and he focuses a lot more on his spot-up jumper/spacing the floor/setting picks than he ever did before.  But just because he ISN'T running the offense more, it doesn't mean that he COULDN'T...surveying the floor and setting up teammates isn't something that really declines with age.  It's just better for the team as a whole that he cede those duties to two others.  I think a lot of people whose main KG experience (saw him before, but not with nearly the regularity that they do now) don't take that into account.

And really, back on point, that is a key of the Duncan vs. Garnett argument to me.  They aren't the exact same player, but each has strengths and weaknesses that work in their favors and seem to balance out a lot in overall impact.  Or if there is a difference there, it's not NEARLY as big as the differences in their supporting casts have been.

In other words, it seems to me that the over-arcing pro-Duncan argument is based on the fact that he has had better team results than KG.  One train of logic is that Duncan has had those better results because he is in some way better than KG, but any attempts to show that difference are very small and can have reasonable counterarguments.  On the other hand, the other train of logic is that Duncan has had those better results because he has had better teammates.  That isn't really up for debate, as it is pretty objectively true.  So in the instance where one line of thought has differences that are (to me) down in the noise, where the other line of thought has significant differences...I would tend to think that it would be harder to base conclusive statements on the area that is debatable than on the area where there is such a stark difference.

Ugh - I gave up accuracy in typing for volume, my bad. It wasnt one full point in pps it was almost one full tenth of a point (1.32 to 1.24) over their careers. Which is pretty big in regards to that stat and especially b/c kg hits such a higher percentage of fts, and pps only accounts for free throws made. I think there is a underrating of TD as a passer. Assists are a crazy stat, McGrady ave 7 a game and he is a terrible passer dominating the ball ,aka having the O run through you gives you an advantage in compiling that stat.

Saying that better teammates is more objective, I take issue with because I dont believe it is objectivel true. How do you judge better? Are you doing the same break down to judge players 2 through 10 on the roster that you are of KG vs TD or are you basing it on the fact that those players "helped" TD win titles? Tony parker was a disaster area the first title he won with TD, it is easy to look at who he is now and forget that. All the players that you are saying are objectively better, were better while playing with TD and having his influence on the game benefit them then the players having their game influenced by KG haha this could (and will)literally go on forever.

It is obviously a debate that is based on preference and personal belief of what is more likely to win games.

I am definitely person that believes in building inside out offensively and defensively and that, that strategy makes role players better/easier to fit to the team game making the team stronger and that leads to the concept of a player seeming better then a the same player on some other team who is asked to do more.

It is a timeless debate! I guess my only question is, if you were starting a team for a decade or more appropriately for the column that started this topic if you had 22 year old TD you would trade him for 22 year old KG?

Obviously I know your answer and you know mine ha, nice debating with you

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown

In other words, it seems to me that the over-arcing pro-Duncan argument is based on the fact that he has had better team results than KG.  One train of logic is that Duncan has had those better results because he is in some way better than KG, but any attempts to show that difference are very small and can have reasonable counterarguments.  On the other hand, the other train of logic is that Duncan has had those better results because he has had better teammates.  That isn't really up for debate, as it is pretty objectively true.  So in the instance where one line of thought has differences that are (to me) down in the noise, where the other line of thought has significant differences...I would tend to think that it would be harder to base conclusive statements on the area that is debatable than on the area where there is such a stark difference.

Ugh - I gave up accuracy in typing for volume, my bad. It wasnt one full point in pps it was almost one full tenth of a point (1.32 to 1.24) over their careers. Which is pretty big in regards to that stat and especially b/c kg hits such a higher percentage of fts, and pps only accounts for free throws made. I think there is a underrating of TD as a passer. Assists are a crazy stat, McGrady ave 7 a game and he is a terrible passer dominating the ball ,aka having the O run through you gives you an advantage in compiling that stat.

Saying that better teammates is more objective, I take issue with because I dont believe it is objectivel true. How do you judge better? Are you doing the same break down to judge players 2 through 10 on the roster that you are of KG vs TD or are you basing it on the fact that those players "helped" TD win titles? Tony parker was a disaster area the first title he won with TD, it is easy to look at who he is now and forget that. All the players that you are saying are objectively better, were better while playing with TD and having his influence on the game benefit them then the players having their game influenced by KG haha this could (and will)literally go on forever.

It is obviously a debate that is based on preference and personal belief of what is more likely to win games.

I am definitely person that believes in building inside out offensively and defensively and that, that strategy makes role players better/easier to fit to the team game making the team stronger and that leads to the concept of a player seeming better then a the same player on some other team who is asked to do more.

It is a timeless debate! I guess my only question is, if you were starting a team for a decade or more appropriately for the column that started this topic if you had 22 year old TD you would trade him for 22 year old KG?

Obviously I know your answer and you know mine ha, nice debating with you

Definitely a nice debate.  And just to quickly answer something you had put in a previous post, I'm not irritated if someone thinks that Duncan is better than KG.  I don't agree, but it's a reasonable thought to have and one that should be a fun debate.  My issue is that, for so many, there is no debate at all.  And in my heart, I believe that this is due to the differences in their teammates over their careers, which to me is a shame.  I've always felt that KG vs. Duncan should have been this generations Bird vs. Magic debate, with some people fervently at either end and most believing it is a heck of a match-up.  But (IMO) we were cheated out of that.

As for the objectivity of the teammate caliber, I could argue it different ways.  One is that based on what their teammates did previously, with the players, and after leaving them we can make some judgments (where applicable).  For instance, I have no doubt that Duncan helped make Parker and Ginobili better, but they were both elite prospects just on natural ability (they went late in drafts because the Spurs were ahead of the curve scouting international, not because of lack of talent).  On the other hand, in that same '03 where Duncan won the title KG led a team of Troy Hudson/old Kendall Gill/Anthony Peeler/Rasho Nesterovic/ .5 season of Wally (injury) to 51 wins.  Hudson was a career journeyman, so was Peeler, Rasho was a young player that was on his way to becoming a career journeyman, and Gill was a past-his-prime journeyman yet each performed much better than expectations next to KG.

So I guess we can't objectively agree that Duncan's cast has been better after all, but I think I can reasonably make the case that the starting materials that he had to work with tend to be better, that in addition to more talented teammates he also had better coaching (Flip proved pretty conclusively that he's not a championship coach with his stint in Detroit, and the other Wolves coaches aren't worth mentioning), and that he also tended to play with more veteran teammates that knew their own roles and could help teach the young guys theirs.  These were all things that KG didn't have, at least until he put on green.

And if that doesn't work for you, I could post where Dave Berri tried to show the difference numerically.  Let's see if I can find it...ah, here it is: http://dberri.wordpress.com/2007/05/15/speeding-up-time-for-bill-simmons/.  Whether you like his methods or not is up to you, I simply submit this as another attempt that someone has made to objectively show how much better Duncan's casts have been to Garnett's.

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 06:52:13 PM »

Offline PJ Martinez

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I would just add that Berri is not the only number-cruncher that has reached similar conclusions. Basketball Prospectus writer Kevin Pelton used the "Wins Above Replacement Player" stat to claim that Garnett just edged Duncan for best player of this decade (there was a considerable drop-off to #3: Kobe; Pierce clocks in at #10):

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=532

I don't think numbers can settle this argument, but they do at least support the idea that KG is as good on an individual basis as Duncan, but has suffered from playing with worse teammates.

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 07:07:47 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Well you do not completely disagree with me since I said that KG is the best help/pick and roll defender I have ever seen. We agree on that.

And i did not say that Duncan was the best at it in the league, he only has to be better then KG which he is and not just a little better.

I would say you are also negating TD's ability to play the pick and roll, not to KG's level but he is very good at it.

Oh, where we completely disagree is on the importance of the 1on1 low post defence. Especially in an era with so little physically imposing offensive low post threats and rules that allow early doubleteams and zones.

I see no way that Duncan's advantage on that department can replicate the kind of impact that Garnett's superior defensive prowess on every other aspect (including 1on1 defence on more agile and quicker players) has. Not close.

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You have to be careful comparing career averages of KG and TD. KG went straight from HS to the pros while Duncan went to college for 4 years. Take out KG's earliest years and his numbers obviously improve.

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Had to hop in on this. I'm a big KG guy, but it can be argued either way. Most sports writer's appreciate Duncan more because he's textbook so he "plays the game the way it's supposed to be played." People watch his game and say "I can do that" or appreciate how he makes extremely complex, subtle moves seem simple. Some will throw in, imagine a guy like Duncan with Shaq's body or KG's body, so he gets more brownie points. All that is weak in my book.

At the end of the day the only real argument I've ever been convinced of as to him being better than KG is that he has more rings. That's valid, but their overall impact on the game - including stats - is similar. The difference is in how they do it. Even though they play the same position, they each excel in different areas.

On D KG challenges deep shots, make impossible blocks, erases others' mistakes with his range, Ds up on guards (young KG was a absolute monster on D); on O he's an alley oop threat and developed into an outside shooter who can drive and finish on any big who tries to guard him that deep.

TD locks up the interior on D, doesn't miss rotations, doesn't miss a board. He can score on just about anyone within 10 feet of the basket, and always finds the best available shot.

Both are great passers with great intangibles. TD has a better sense of the moment and knows when to take a game over or hit a big shot, but KG gets more hustle plays.

It just comes down to who you like better. To me KG is more exciting, more dynamic, funnier, more hype, more open and emotional, and seems hungrier. He's never made a bad commercial. I just hate people who defer to Duncan being better because he's the media default winner. To me it's really a Magic vs Bird argument. And KG's a Celtic now so everybody on here should get up to speed with what he did in Minny and get on his bandwagon. I won't hate.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
Ugh - I gave up accuracy in typing for volume, my bad. It wasnt one full point in pps it was almost one full tenth of a point (1.32 to 1.24) over their careers. Which is pretty big in regards to that stat and especially b/c kg hits such a higher percentage of fts, and pps only accounts for free throws made.

You have to be careful comparing career averages of KG and TD. KG went straight from HS to the pros while Duncan went to college for 4 years. Take out KG's earliest years and his numbers obviously improve.

Just a quick follow-up.  I was looking for info to use in the "All 2000s team" thread, so I went to the databasebasketball.com site that lets you look at stats over a fixed number of years.  Anyway, in looking at the info I ended up calculating PPS for different time intervals and confirming what BballTim said to be true.

Over their careers, as Carhole points out, Duncan's PPS is 1.32 and KG's is 1.24.

But since '02 Duncan's PPS is 1.316 and KG's is 1.302.

I only bring this back up to point out that during the time window when Duncan was winning all of his titles that didn't include a prime David Robinson and KG's teams were at times struggling to make the playoffs at all, their PPS was almost identical.  A difference of about 1/100th of a point per shot is small even in this measure, and this is the time period that (for many) solidified the gap between Duncan and Garnett.

So, me replying thus wasn't to dissuade you from your opinion that Duncan is better.  It is simply to point out that you might need a better stat to support your opinion than pps, because clearly that .01 pps difference wasn't enough to explain the difference in their team results over those years.