Author Topic: Bill Simmons' New NBA Untouchable Rankings Out  (Read 15979 times)

Re: Bill Simmons' New NBA Untouchable Rankings Out
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I love KG, but alltime he is no Duncan. And everything you said is why besides the fact you are overrating KG's defense in comparison to Duncans Defensived skill set.

KG never lead a dominant defensive team until he met up with a group of vets and Tibs. Duncan has been the anchor to a decades worth of top 5 defensive teams with all different players around him. Duncan is a far superior post defender, KG gets killed defending stronger guys in the post. KG is however one of the greatest help defenders / pick and roll defenders I have ever seen.

When's Duncan ever been on a team like some of the Minny teams? When has he played without vets? When was KG ever paired with defenders like Robinson or Bowen? In effect, you're saying that since Duncan was always on teams with more veterans and better defenders than KG until last year that he's a much better defender. KG's defense is not overrated, and it's not worse than Duncan's.
The larger point is, TD would NEVER be on a team like some of those Minny teams b/c of what he brings to the table as an offensive and defensive force allowing for role players to only have to play their roles, where KG doesnt have all of those same abilities.

San Antonio with KG does not win the titles they did with Duncan - that is my opinion

I don't agree with this at all, and it's a discussion I've engaged in probably over 100 times in the past 6-7 years.  I firmly believe Duncan would still miss the playoffs with some of the supporting casts that KG at least took to the 1st round.

As far as the Spurs winning a title with KG instead of Duncan, I think they very well could have.  I think KG in his prime with Parker and Manu could have certainly won it all with the other veteran role players the Spurs have had over the years.  Nobody can say for sure, but I think they could've.  Probably not the 2002-2003 Spurs, that was Duncan at his greatest, but a little later on I would say yes.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
One question I have is why isn't the fact that Wade and LeBron could bolt in 2010 factored in.....Wade already talked about how cool it would be to play on team with LeBron. and there is the long running story about LBJ and NYC

shouldn't that  affect their level of untouchability....?

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
One question I have is why isn't the fact that Wade and LeBron could bolt in 2010.....Wade already talked about how cool it would be to play on team with LeBron. and there is the long running story about LBJ and NYC

It definitely will next year. Right now I don't think so, simply because there isn't a whole lot of reason to trade them a year before they can walk to someplace with salary cap room.

Next year however you need to figure out if they'll resign. If you don't think they will you need to move them. But that would take a lot of balls from a GM.

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 04:43:02 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
I am 100% certain San Antonio would have won those titles with Garnet and there is one reason why POPOVICH!!!!

The guy has been the best coach in the NBA for 10 years and I would rank him as a top 5 coach in NBA History.  I might even make him #1, they his teams execute in the playoffs is incredible.  If Ginobili did not get hurt in the playoffs last year I have no doubt we would have played the Spurs in the Finals.

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
One question I have is why isn't the fact that Wade and LeBron could bolt in 2010.....Wade already talked about how cool it would be to play on team with LeBron. and there is the long running story about LBJ and NYC

It definitely will next year. Right now I don't think so, simply because there isn't a whole lot of reason to trade them a year before they can walk to someplace with salary cap room.

Next year however you need to figure out if they'll resign. If you don't think they will you need to move them. But that would take a lot of balls from a GM.

yeah. I see what you're saying, but doesn't this list take us through when list comes out next year....that includes this upcoming off season when major maneuverings could happen.

It just seems weird to completely ignore something that is already such a part of the public discourse -  even amongst the players themselves.

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
what if, for instance, POR approached MIA and said, we will give you Roy, Oden and Bayless for Wade.....or insert whatever combo of prospects from their deep coffers you'd think was the best...

would the phone still be hanging up? for a team that is not a top playoff team and might lose that player after one more season....

what about the same for Howard....

TD, Kobe, LeBron are at least on Title contenders which certainly would make dealing them even more nonsensical

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I hate that I've almost missed out on a good KG vs. Duncan debate.  Like Big Ticket, I can't count how many I've been in over the years.  Before I go back and respond to individual posts, I'd like to say this:  KG and Duncan have almost identical traditional stats over their careers.  They've also had very similar advanced stats, though KG seems to have a slight advantage in most of these over the time period where they've both been in the NBA.  So most of the pro-Duncan arguments I've seen through the years weren't about Duncan having a stats advantage, because it's just not there.

Instead, the most common pro-Duncan argument pre-2004 was that KG couldn't win for some intangible reason.  He was a great individual player, but he didn't have Duncan's impact because his teams never got out of the first round.  The KG counterargument was simple: Duncan had (to that point) played his entire career with David Robinson, and that if you gave KG even a REASONABLE amount of support he could lead a contender too.

And in '04, it happened.  The Wolves added 67 years of Cassell and Sprewell (neither of whom were All Stars at the time, by the way) to a team of castoffs in '04: the centers were castaways Erv Johnson, Mark Madsen and Olowokandi while two of the rotation wings (Hassell and Hoiberg) had been cut by the lottery-bound Bulls that summer and the only healthy back-up PGs were 3rd string NBDL types.  And with just that little bit of help, the Wolves became contenders.  We'll never know what might have happened had Cassell never gotten hurt ...but at the very least that team was a contender. 

So then, the pro-Duncan argument changed...it became "yeah, but KG isn't wired to lead a team to a title".  And then last year happened, and the argument changed again to "Duncan is just better, and it's self evident".  But the thing is, the KG counter-argument has rang true each time.  Namely, every time that KG has been on a team with talent even remotely similar to what Duncan has had his whole career, KG's team results have looked an awful lot like Duncan's. 

Like Duncan, KG has been a model of consistency through the years.  Unlike Duncan, KG has only been on 2.5 teams with reasonable support.  On those 2.5 teams KG has led a team to the WCF before all of the PGs got hurt and he literally had to be a 7-foot PG, celebrated one championship, and is currently right in the thick of championship contention a 3rd time. 

Even if we ignore all of the stats and everything else that says they are similar caliber players, the fact that the same "give KG Duncan-level help and he'll win" argument that was made in '02 can still be reasonably made now and has actually been strengthened by history suggests to me that the argument has merit.  I just don't see how you can divorce teammate caliber and simply say "Duncan's on another level, period."  Doesn't make sense to me. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:18:28 PM by drza44 »

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Oh, and as for the KG is declining while Duncan isn't argument, I don't see it.  Both are not what they were in '03, but both are still playing at a similar high level.  At this point, they each are playing to their level of need in the regular season then stepping it up in the playoffs.  The Spurs have needed more from Duncan this year due to the injuries to Parker and Ginobili and then getting them re-acclimated to the line-up, while the Celts haven't needed more from KG than he is giving.  But if you look, KG's season this year looks almost exactly like Duncan's in '06: similar stats, similar role (defensive anchor and scorer as needed with two strong scoring perimeter players), both on teams coming off of championships on their way to 60+ wins.  Really, check it out:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duncati01&y1=2006&p2=garneke01&y2=2009

When Duncan does it it's considered smart veteran play from a superstar with postseason focus, but with KG it's a sign that he isn't impact anymore?  I mean really, isn't this Boston where Red and Russell made a mantra out of being unconcerned about the box score as long as the team was winning?  Let's see what happens in the postseason, when KG is consistently called upon to play at his peak, before we write his eulogy...

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2009, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
drza44, my boy! TP!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
I am 100% certain San Antonio would have won those titles with Garnet and there is one reason why POPOVICH!!!!

The guy has been the best coach in the NBA for 10 years and I would rank him as a top 5 coach in NBA History.  I might even make him #1, they his teams execute in the playoffs is incredible.  If Ginobili did not get hurt in the playoffs last year I have no doubt we would have played the Spurs in the Finals.

I dont disagree that Pop is a great coach, but you can not be certain about that and I guess using your rationale you must "have no doubt" that if bynum didnt get hurt the C's would not have their rings.

Pop has never had to coach without duncan, this is circular logic - It is like being 100% certain that the chicken came before the egg.

Pop has said many times, he got extremely lucky to win that lottery and that his career would not "be the same" if the C's had ended up with Duncan.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:36:24 PM by Carhole »

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I think that one of the reasons that TD wins this debate with most people is  well, the Titles but also that he has a more traditional low post game for 7 footer....there definitely is a bias there.

another interesting question is: which team had more talent in their Title runs the TD/DRob team, the TD,/TP/SJAX(Ginobili) teams or GPA....

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
Oh, and as for the KG is declining while Duncan isn't argument, I don't see it.  Both are not what they were in '03, but both are still playing at a similar high level.  At this point, they each are playing to their level of need in the regular season then stepping it up in the playoffs.  The Spurs have needed more from Duncan this year due to the injuries to Parker and Ginobili and then getting them re-acclimated to the line-up, while the Celts haven't needed more from KG than he is giving.  But if you look, KG's season this year looks almost exactly like Duncan's in '06: similar stats, similar role (defensive anchor and scorer as needed with two strong scoring perimeter players), both on teams coming off of championships on their way to 60+ wins.  Really, check it out:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duncati01&y1=2006&p2=garneke01&y2=2009

When Duncan does it it's considered smart veteran play from a superstar with postseason focus, but with KG it's a sign that he isn't impact anymore?  I mean really, isn't this Boston where Red and Russell made a mantra out of being unconcerned about the box score as long as the team was winning?  Let's see what happens in the postseason, when KG is consistently called upon to play at his peak, before we write his eulogy...

Good posts - the only thing to me is people on the KG side of the argument seem to think Duncan being slightly better then KG (enough so that some, including myself think it is clear duncan is the greatest pf ever to play) means that KG is garbage or something similar. Who says he doesnt have an affect? Simmons has him in the top 15 area of untouchable players for all of the ways he changes the game for the C's?

Duncan also is a more efficient scorer without the benefit of being nearly as good a ft shooter - TD's biggest weakness - almost a full pps ahead of kg. Because he draws more fouls, that is a huge difference to how a team plays - if PP draws 4 fouls in a quarter going to the hole, then ray allen gets grabbed coming off a screen and gets to the line, really pp did all the work to get ray, or whoever those points and hence get the team easy points and allow for completely different offensive possessions the rest of the quarter.

KG is all time great, but not having an offenive game that gets him to the line is a problem in crunch time and not using superior ability to draw fouls all game long changes the complexion of a game significantly.

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 05:37:34 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I completely disagree with carhole in regards to the Duncan/Garnett defensive quality. Duncan has a single advantage: he's much better defending the post straight up versus bigger players. However, there are plenty of competent guys doing that and a handful of them are fairly better than Duncan. Garnett has always had the edge doing everything else, allowed him to impact the game much more. Particularly important is his unparalleled  ability to defend the screen/roll play - which is such a big part of the NBA game - that, from my perspective, separates him from Duncan (or, by that matter, any other contemporary big man). OTOH, I see Duncan as the best player on the other side of the floor (at least most seasons).

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

I dont disagree that Pop is a great coach, but you can not be certain about that and I guess using your rationale you must "have no doubt" that if bynum didnt get hurt the C's would not have their rings.

I don't know what happened, but I had a someone lengthy and detailed post in response to this, but it is gone.

Essentially said that I don't agree with the link you make to the Laker w/ Bynum beating the Celtics.  I don't see a parallel between that and the argument drza44 made.

Basically because, especially against the C's, I'm not all that certain that the Lakers aren't better off with Odom and Gasol starting than Gasol and Bynum.  Perk has consistently stopped Bynum from doing much of anything.  He doesn't have the same edge over Gasol.

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
I completely disagree with carhole in regards to the Duncan/Garnett defensive quality. Duncan has a single advantage: he's much better defending the post straight up versus bigger players. However, there are plenty of competent guys doing that and a handful of them are fairly better than Duncan. Garnett has always had the edge doing everything else, allowed him to impact the game much more. Particularly important is his unparalleled  ability to defend the screen/roll play - which is such a big part of the NBA game - that, from my perspective, separates him from Duncan (or, by that matter, any other contemporary big man). OTOH, I see Duncan as the best player on the other side of the floor (at least most seasons).

Well you do not completely disagree with me since I said that KG is the best help/pick and roll defender I have ever seen. We agree on that.

And i did not say that Duncan was the best at it in the league, he only has to be better then KG which he is and not just a little better.

I would say you are also negating TD's ability to play the pick and roll, not to KG's level but he is very good at it.