Poll

Who do you think will be this year's victor?

Rudy Fernandez
8 (16.7%)
Nate Robinson
12 (25%)
Dwight Howard (Defending Champion)
17 (35.4%)
J.R. Smith
11 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: 2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest  (Read 22385 times)

Re: 2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
the whole all star weekend activities sucked...the nba ought to be embarrassed.

it's time to bring in the BEST dunkers and 3 pt shooters...but if this is the plan for future events then it's a lame one.

Adding to this they have to call more players for each event
4 men there is simply not enough

For the dunk contest, double the number of participants and make the first round be one dunk only; make everyone BRING it from the get-go.  Make sure that at least one or two of the spots are taken by guys playing in the All Star game, and hell - maybe give the last spot to the winner of the D-League dunk contest (there is such a thing, right?).  Maybe the previous year's winner gets a bye to the second round. 

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The competitors in the 3 point contest were a joke.   The dunk contest irritated most fans, because they saw how bias everyone was towards Dwight... the other events are always boring.

I think the entire night lacked energy... and I honestly think part of it was that Barkley and Ernie Johnson were not calling the events with Kenny Smith.  The telecast seemed to be missing their energy, enthusiasm and humor.   Nothing against Reggie and the other fella... they do a good job calling actual NBA games... but they weren't right for allstar weekend.

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
They need to just get rid of all the competitions except the 3 point and dunk contests. They should have only 4 people in the three point contest, 8 people in the dunk contest and four rounds. Let's face it all anyone cares about is the dunk contest, so they put it at the end, but then they make it so short. And not have Kenny, EJ, and Barkley really hurt the programming this year, they should have at least had Webber on.

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
The competitors in the 3 point contest were a joke.   The dunk contest irritated most fans, because they saw how bias everyone was towards Dwight... the other events are always boring.

I think the entire night lacked energy... and I honestly think part of it was that Barkley and Ernie Johnson were not calling the events with Kenny Smith.  The telecast seemed to be missing their energy, enthusiasm and humor.   Nothing against Reggie and the other fella... they do a good job calling actual NBA games... but they weren't right for allstar weekend.

can't really blame the announcers...it's hard to make chicken salad out of chicken sh**.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2009, 08:17:55 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqPRdzrjWpU

I can be called an old timer
but this is
THE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank god all of u who witness this
other than this years boring stuff
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I thought the Dunk Theatre Special was better than the Dunk Contest itself.

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Thats the first dunk contest i ever saw where the competition helps his opponent win.It use to be a bragging rights type of an event for the winner. MJ would never have aided Dominique or vice versa in winning it.I thought it was a lousy contest.

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How come nobody does 360's anymore?  Sup with that?

Those JOrdan/Nique highlights were awesome nostalgia, but today's fans are so jaded that those dunks would have been considered kinda weak. 

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I didn't see the contest, but I was in Madrid for this weekend and some Spaniards I heard talking about this were mad at the jury.

what are they angry about? Rudy and Pau were horrible! They put everyone to sleep, they deserved an even lower score than what they got. On a side note, JR Smith looked like he didn't want to be there and was relieved when he got eliminated.

Maybe the poster meant the commentators as well?  I was pretty disgusted by them.  I mean, Fernandez was wearing a Martin jersey to honor the first Sapnish player in the NBA and the commentators kept making jokes about it like "Martin who?" and "Ricky MArtin?"  I mean, can you imagine someone saying stuff like that if someone were to wear a Jackie Robinson jersey? Not trying to make this a racial/political thread, BTW, just pretty disappointed and disgusted at the lack of maturity and professionalism shown by the commentators.

Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2009, 11:21:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I didn't see the contest, but I was in Madrid for this weekend and some Spaniards I heard talking about this were mad at the jury.

what are they angry about? Rudy and Pau were horrible! They put everyone to sleep, they deserved an even lower score than what they got. On a side note, JR Smith looked like he didn't want to be there and was relieved when he got eliminated.

Maybe the poster meant the commentators as well?  I was pretty disgusted by them.  I mean, Fernandez was wearing a Martin jersey to honor the first Sapnish player in the NBA and the commentators kept making jokes about it like "Martin who?" and "Ricky MArtin?"  I mean, can you imagine someone saying stuff like that if someone were to wear a Jackie Robinson jersey? Not trying to make this a racial/political thread, BTW, just pretty disappointed and disgusted at the lack of maturity and professionalism shown by the commentators.

yes, that I can understand, the commentators were totally disrespectful, but the judges were more than fair, rudy was awful

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

yes, that I can understand, the commentators were totally disrespectful, but the judges were more than fair, rudy was awful

I don't think Rudy was awful (and I think many people here agree).  We didn't even see his first dunk too well because they had switched screens to the Martin fella, but I think that was the second, 1st dunk of the night and his second dunk, if done in the 2nd or 3rd try, would've been a very nice dunk.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2009, 09:48:17 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Well, I haven't seen the dunks from the other players yet, but his dunks were solid and I believe this opinion is shared by many. Anyway, you're right, some writers and fans are also mad with the commentators, especially because the Martin jokes. I don't know, if they knew that Martin was deceased (and what his memory means to Spanish basketball fans) then those jokes were incredibly tasteless. Maybe they didn't know about him or thought he was still alive? If that's the case, I wouldn't make a big thing of the jokes. Anyway, although Spaniards are often too biased and paranoid about their own sportsmen, they aren't the only ones complaining, so I guess the rants I heard had some merit:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/17259/dunk_contest_last_bastion_of_nba_xenophobia (from Tom Ziller)

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2009/02/quick-fernando-martin-note.html (this post has an interesting piece from George Karl about Martin - Karl was Real Madrid's head-coach when Martín died).

http://www.blazersedge.com/2009/2/16/760806/why-fernando-martin

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »

Offline marseye

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • gwadada 971
 ;D
I represent Guadeloupe n Ain't speak English very well/Xcuse me

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Yeah.. I heard the NBDL dunk contest was really entertaining, though. James White always puts on a show.

Hi, I'd like to change my vote to James White, thanks.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yHQ15TdHU

I know I'm a little late to this, but WOW. (And why didn't somebody throw it up here sooner?)

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Yeah.. I heard the NBDL dunk contest was really entertaining, though. James White always puts on a show.

Hi, I'd like to change my vote to James White, thanks.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yHQ15TdHU

I know I'm a little late to this, but WOW. (And why didn't somebody throw it up here sooner?)

Now THAT'S what I call a free throw line dunk.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."