Poll

Who do you think will be this year's victor?

Rudy Fernandez
8 (16.7%)
Nate Robinson
12 (25%)
Dwight Howard (Defending Champion)
17 (35.4%)
J.R. Smith
11 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: 2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest  (Read 22326 times)

Re: 2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2009, 05:51:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
dude If I was the guy dunking after Dwight and his "12 foot" dunk, I would have said, "nah nah... keep that rim here... in fact... raise it another foot"   ....

The first two 50's Dwight got were a total mockery. 

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2009, 07:53:32 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'm sooo glad Howard didn't win.  It was clear on the very first dunk that they were going to try to give it to him.  I didn't think he deserved to win it last year either because that Superman dunk wasn't a dunk.  Gerald Green deserved to win last year and Robinson won this year, deservedly so. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2009, 08:20:58 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
 2009 Dunk Contest was one boring Shammockery...

It seems preferential treatment has made it to the contest.

There is no way LeBron loses next year.

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I kinda liked Nate's last dunk, jumping over Howard.  Dwight's last dunk was lame. 

Nate's dunk jumping on Wilson Chandler...  I was waiting for one or both of those guys to get seriously injured, that was just stupid.  I bet the league disallows that; seems like it would have been way-easy for Chandler to have his back messed up.  If course, had Nate gotten injured.....    :D

[dang], I must purge those evil thoughts!

Can't take the contest too seriously, though.  It's for the kids, I think it's ALWAYS been for the kids (just that we remember it being for us back, well...  back when we were kids).

EDIT: Oh, and am I insane in thinking that really didn't look like twelve feet?  Looking at the two baskets side by side, it looked like it was maybe a foot higher, not two feet.  Maybe it was just the angle, but I'm not exactly all that trusting of Stern and the League.

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This was such a frustrating contest.  Every year I tell myself that I'm not going to watch it the following year.  What is the freaking facination with Howard?  He had the most boring dunks in the whole competion and he was getting 50's!  I'm very surprised and happy Robinson ended up winning.  The dunk over Howard saved the contest to some extent.  At least I got to go to bed not totally p---ed off at Howard winning again.
It's mindboggling how Howard gets so much credit for dunking and being tall.  Shouldn't he lose credit for that?  And I was shaking my head when he took off his normal Magic uniform...for a tighter magic uniform.  Gay!  And I don't mean Rudy!

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
The one that didn't belong was JR Smith.  His act and his dunks were just flat out boring. 

Did you see what he was trying to do on his second dunk.  He was going to catch it in air and put it behind his back.  That's never been done before (in the NBA at least).  That would have been a definite 50 and the best dunk of the night IMO if he pulled it off.   I thought when he went behind the back in 2005 it should have been a 50 (it was a 49), but to catch it in the air and go behind the back?  Easy 50 no doubt.  He just didn't pull it off.  He definitely belonged though.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2009, 11:04:49 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Dunk contest was meh - I'm not a fan of letting the fans vote (or maybe they should be able to be like a 6th judge?) - it becomes a popularity contest, especially when fan voting begins BEFORE the dunks have even occured in the final round - that said the phoenix judges were weak, giving Howard a 50 for a few ok dunks, cheapened the whole contest - I think with the next CBA, there should be a mandate that if the league wants you to go, you have to do it - imagine Kobe, Lebron, TMAC, Howard, etc.  Its a star filled league, having Rudy Fernandez and JR Smith, though both good, makes it feel less special.  Same thing with the 3 pt shootout, like the announcers were saying, Dirk and Ray Allen need to be in it. 

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
These are my gradings for each dunk (at least the ones I can think of):

1st Dunk:
Rudy Fernandez- behind back lob and dunk- very good
JR Smith- double bounce dunk- good
Nate Robinson- bounce dunk- alright (he's done that before)
Dwight Howard- okay (can't even think what it was)

2nd Dunk:
Rudy Fernande- behind the board- good (it loses a grade for the missed tryout)
JR Smith- bounce from the stands- okay (loses grade for missed and the weak end)
Nate Robinson- jumping on back- okay
Dwight Howard- 12 foot- good (weak dunk- impresssive height)

So according to my grading and consistency, I would have Rudy and either Howard or Nate in the final round.

Final Round, 1st Round:
Nate Robinson- good (I forgot what it was but I remember it being impressive but nothing different)
Dwight Howard- side board dunk- incredible! (best dunk of the night)

2nd Round:
Nate Robinson- jumping over Howard- very good (he cleared him)
Dwight Howard- MJ dunk- okay (everybody has done it)

Final Verdict: Nate Robinson for being more consistent
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Dunk contest was meh - I'm not a fan of letting the fans vote (or maybe they should be able to be like a 6th judge?) - it becomes a popularity contest, especially when fan voting begins BEFORE the dunks have even occured in the final round - that said the phoenix judges were weak, giving Howard a 50 for a few ok dunks, cheapened the whole contest - I think with the next CBA, there should be a mandate that if the league wants you to go, you have to do it - imagine Kobe, Lebron, TMAC, Howard, etc.  Its a star filled league, having Rudy Fernandez and JR Smith, though both good, makes it feel less special.  Same thing with the 3 pt shootout, like the announcers were saying, Dirk and Ray Allen need to be in it. 

I was SHOCKED that the fans voted for Nate.   I was sure that it was going to be a landside victory for Dwight just because of how much bigger a name he is... I mean wasn't he like the top vote getter for the allstar game?  I was SHOCKED that Nate won.  And very pleased...

That just shows you that the general public was very disgusted with the two phantom 50's and could see that the NBA was trying to hand the award to Dwight.   

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2009, 05:03:29 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I was SHOCKED that the fans voted for Nate.   I was sure that it was going to be a landside victory for Dwight just because of how much bigger a name he is... I mean wasn't he like the top vote getter for the allstar game?  I was SHOCKED that Nate won.  And very pleased...

That just shows you that the general public was very disgusted with the two phantom 50's and could see that the NBA was trying to hand the award to Dwight.   

you're right, but should someone win out of spite? may the best dunker win, I say - and imo I'm not sure who it was in this contest - I do think DHoward had the best dunk off the sideboard, but Nate brought better showmanship, plus with his diminutive stature it makes it that much more amazing
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2009, 05:53:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I didn't see the contest, but I was in Madrid for this weekend and some Spaniards I heard talking about this were mad at the jury.

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I didn't see the contest, but I was in Madrid for this weekend and some Spaniards I heard talking about this were mad at the jury.

what are they angry about? Rudy and Pau were horrible! They put everyone to sleep, they deserved an even lower score than what they got. On a side note, JR Smith looked like he didn't want to be there and was relieved when he got eliminated.

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2009, 06:54:59 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
the whole all star weekend activities sucked...the nba ought to be embarrassed.

it's time to bring in the BEST dunkers and 3 pt shooters...but if this is the plan for future events then it's a lame one.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2009, 06:58:32 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

it's time to bring in the BEST dunkers and 3 pt shooters...but if this is the plan for future events then it's a lame one.

It seems like nowadays non of the big stars want to participate in the Saturday night events.  I remember being a kid and seeing tons of big names enter in these contests.  I wish it would get back to that.

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Adding to this they have to call more players for each event
4 men there is simply not enough
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!