Poll

Who do you think will be this year's victor?

Rudy Fernandez
8 (16.7%)
Nate Robinson
12 (25%)
Dwight Howard (Defending Champion)
17 (35.4%)
J.R. Smith
11 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: 2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest  (Read 22386 times)

Re: 2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 11:15:32 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
When is the contest...Sat night???

Yes.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 12:39:16 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I've had it with Nate... The little guy in the dunk contest is fine, as long as its a different little guy every once in awhile. There are so many deserving candidates that to give anyone three straight chances is ridiculous unless its someone who truly deserves it (LeBron, Kobe, Carter, Howard, etc).

I love the dunk contest and never truly root for anyone, because I just like being blown away by creativity and athleticism. That being said, I think Howard will take it. I actually did like the superman dunk.

That's pretty nasty.

That's a great picture right there and it shows why it was such a great dunk.  I think the cape actually distracts from the dunk.  When I first saw it, I wasn't impressed with it but then I saw the replays and realized what Howard had actually done, then I was baffled.  One of the best dunks I have seen in a while.  Also, the volley dunk was pretty great too.

I think one of the most underated Slam Dunk performer was Iguodala when Nate won that.  He had some of the most sick and creative dunks, like throwing off the back of the backboard and dunking on the other side!  But I guess Nate won it because there's extra points for less height.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:30 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Isn't the dunk contest voted by the "fans"??? If so than howard will win 100%

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 05:15:30 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
People in Spain are really looking forward to watch Rudy´s contest.
There was a persistent rumour sayying that Rudy was going to perform this dunk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hhjcdBKrlk

but Rudy said that he had not enough time to train it properly.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 06:08:04 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've had it with Nate... The little guy in the dunk contest is fine, as long as its a different little guy every once in awhile. There are so many deserving candidates that to give anyone three straight chances is ridiculous unless its someone who truly deserves it (LeBron, Kobe, Carter, Howard, etc).

I love the dunk contest and never truly root for anyone, because I just like being blown away by creativity and athleticism. That being said, I think Howard will take it. I actually did like the superman dunk.

That's pretty nasty.

That's a great picture right there and it shows why it was such a great dunk.  I think the cape actually distracts from the dunk.  When I first saw it, I wasn't impressed with it but then I saw the replays and realized what Howard had actually done, then I was baffled.  One of the best dunks I have seen in a while.  Also, the volley dunk was pretty great too.

I think one of the most underated Slam Dunk performer was Iguodala when Nate won that.  He had some of the most sick and creative dunks, like throwing off the back of the backboard and dunking on the other side!  But I guess Nate won it because there's extra points for less height.

It's impressive no doubt I know hardly anyone could do it, but dwight's superman dunk was no dunk. He threw it in.

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

That's pretty nasty.

It's impressive no doubt I know hardly anyone could do it, but dwight's superman dunk was no dunk. He threw it in.

thats what made it more impressive.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Then if he jumped straight up at the foul line and threw it in, it would have been even more impressive?  He threw it in because he was going to land before he reached the rim.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Then if he jumped straight up at the foul line and threw it in, it would have been even more impressive?  He threw it in because he was going to land before he reached the rim.

If he threw from the foul line, then it would've definitely been very impressive since it would have to be basically a straight line to the basket.  However, since he did this dunk last year, it wouldn't have been as creative and not as impressive.

I am pretty sure he wasn't trying to actually "dunk" it or else there would be nothing special about the dunk except for the costume.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 08:24:27 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Dwight by flawless victory. Superman doesn't even need to dunk. I just hope he throws on the Jason mask and dunks on some cheerleaders, gets stabbed, shrugs it off, runs out the building, finds Stern and dunks on him.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
This contest is already cheapened by the judges giving D.Ho a 50 on the first dunk.  They also need to stop using whole digits too.  They need to use decimals, IMO.

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
4 mediocre dunks...and i though fernandez's may have been the best of the 4.  ???
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 10:30:15 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
This things a joke.  Rudy had the best first round dunk throwing it behind the back off the backboard.  Then J.R. had the 2nd most difficult dunk with the timing on letting it bounce twice.  Robinson did the same dunk J.R. did minus the extra bounce and Dwight's 50 dunk was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
50? Don't tell me the dunk contest is a superstar's game, too. That was not a 50 by Dwight.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
judges = morons
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 10:34:46 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
judges = morons

Correctamundo, horrible score to give on that dunk, even if it took 9 tries.  Nate won after trying a dunk 52 times.