Poll

Who do you think will be this year's victor?

Rudy Fernandez
8 (16.7%)
Nate Robinson
12 (25%)
Dwight Howard (Defending Champion)
17 (35.4%)
J.R. Smith
11 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: 2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest  (Read 22387 times)

2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Who do you think will win?

Also, I think this was talked about a few weeks ago, but I would like everyone's opinion on the "Superman Dunk" by Dwight Howard last year.  I've heard a lot of people say, "Sick dunk." but when I try to explain how he didn't even touch the rim, basically threw the ball threw the basket, people still say "It was sick because he was well above the rim, and still considered a dunk."  According to wikipedia.org, "A slam dunk (or simply a dunk) is a type of basketball shot that is performed when a player jumps in the air and manually powers the ball downward through the basket with one or both hands over the rim." Doesn't mention the need to have one's hands physically make contact with the rim.

Even if it's still considered a dunk, I still thought overall it wasn't anything special.  I think people got souped over the cape.  He did receive a pass, which was hard, but outside of that, I think it was rather lame.  I think it was the same thing as MJ dunking from the foul line, with the pass being thrown in rather than running with the ball.  No real creativity, IMO.

Re: 2009 NBA Slam Dunk Contest
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I think Howard might win it again.  He's creative, and that's what you need nowadays because there isn't much that hasn't been done.

In terms of the Superman dunk, it although it wasn't really a dunk, it was pretty nasty.  However, it is still overrated.  Kenny Smith makes the mistake of hyping dunks up too much.  He actually said that was possibly the best dunk he had ever seen in the dunk contest, which is a real slap in the face to MJ, 'Nique, Vince, JRich, etc.

But the biggest travesty is that Nate Robinson is once again in the dunk contest.  Him winning it a few years back was absolutely pathetic, and the fact that he's been invited back for the 3rd time is mind-blowing.  The guy does the same dunks all the time, and it takes him 10 tries to do them.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Nate is gonna win it, when you see his dunks in slow motion, they are absolutely ridiculous.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Nate is gonna win it, when you see his dunks in slow motion, they are absolutely ridiculous.

Why would I want to watch them in slow motion?  It takes a half an hour for him to complete a dunk in regular motion.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:40:50 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I voted for Rudy.
Yeah, white men CAN jump  ;D

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Nate

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Rudy has to be very creative, because his dunks that I've seen don't impress me.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Nate's going to beat Dwight, and then I am going to laugh because Nate is 5'8  :)
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I really don't want to see Robinson again after the ridiculous 500 attempts he had a couple of years ago.  I know they made time limit after that, but it was a foolish scene.

I voted for JR
Yup

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
anybody but dwight, hopefully. i'm not a fan.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 08:51:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think JR Smith is the frontrunner

On another note, they need to open up the dunk contest again and get more than four contestants. There aren't enough participants. The organizers have ruined this competition.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 09:13:16 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I voted Smith. I think he's gonna pull off some incredible dunks this year.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I've had it with Nate... The little guy in the dunk contest is fine, as long as its a different little guy every once in awhile. There are so many deserving candidates that to give anyone three straight chances is ridiculous unless its someone who truly deserves it (LeBron, Kobe, Carter, Howard, etc).

I love the dunk contest and never truly root for anyone, because I just like being blown away by creativity and athleticism. That being said, I think Howard will take it. I actually did like the superman dunk.

That's pretty nasty.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Rondo should be in the dunk contest.  ;D
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 11:13:38 PM »

Offline Jay_Diggles

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
When is the contest...Sat night???
Diggles