Author Topic: LeBron's whining results in All-Star birth for Mo  (Read 18934 times)

Re: LeBron's whining results in All-Star birth for Mo
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

By this logic, anybody the C's would run out there at the point with the Big 3 would average 8 assists a game just because they were playing with them.  So if Eddie House started, he would do it, just because of those guys?  Come on, if you actually watch, Rondo is the one who is actually getting those 3 guys easy looks, not because he simply "defers" to them, because he knows how to get them the ball where they need to score, the primary job of the point guard.  Others probably would defer, but the Celts don't score by deferring to the Big 3 and just letting them take turns playing one on one.  They play together as a unit, and it all starts with Rondo.  Look at the their record and when Rondo plays well, scoring a bit too, they win, when he has a bad game, they lose.  This is far more than him just getting out of the way of the Big 3.

I agree Rondo's ability to make the Big 3 better is often overlooked. I'm amused by how much harder the Big 3 seem to work when they get assists from Eddie when he just throws the ball to them when the shot clock is winding down.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16

Why isn't David Lee worthy?  16 points, 12 rebounds, and 57% shooting.

Because team record does matter (for most nominees at least).

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2009, 10:10:25 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

i agree and would take rondo on my team over mo,,,,i just cant think of a worthy big

true,,,i didnt even realize how good he's been until last weeks SI article,,,id have no problem wit Lee being added if someone dropped out
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2009, 10:12:11 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Because team record does matter (for most nominees at least).

That doesn't explain why Bosh was in the all star game to begin with or, Granger etc.

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2009, 10:12:57 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens

That doesn't explain why Bosh was in the all star game to begin with or, Granger etc.

Which is exactly why I said "for most nominees at least".

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Which is exactly why I said "for most nominees at least".

But there are instances of players on bad teams from getting on though so winning is not the only criteria.

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens

But there are instances of players on bad teams from getting on though so winning is not the only criteria.

Umm, I understand and I am not disagreeing with you...

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Rondo can score and create for himself. He's the most efficient PG in the league. His shooting is suspect but that doesn't make him a bad PG. The lack of outside shooting is only a negative  for PGs who are primary options on offense.

Pretty much any player in the NBA can score and create for himself, but Rondo is rarely forced to do so.  A PG should always make the other team guard him.  How many times have you seen teams just leave Rondo wide open because they see no point in guarding him?

I never said Rondo is a bad PG - don't insinuate that please.

Sorry you said good PGs also score so I assumed that meant you thought Rondo was a bad PG. You also said he was mediocre at creating for himself and scoring. Which is what I was disagreeing with. And what does other teams not guarding him have to do with him doing a good job PG?  
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
I was talking about what the two bring to the floor. Obviously, other teams feel that Rondo cannot create for himself, thus they choose to let him float around like a butterfly. 

If Rondo was better at creating for himself, you would not see this.

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2009, 07:41:10 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

i agree and would take rondo on my team over mo,,,,i just cant think of a worthy big

Per 40 minutes pace adjusted:

David Lee 17.3 pts/ 12.6 rbs/ 0.3 blks/ 56.6 FG%

Emeka Okafor 16.7 pts/ 12.8 rbs/ 2.1 blks/ 58.2 FG%

Plus, EO plays better defence.

About Mo, I really don't care, but did anyone consider Mo should be an All-Star last season? He's the exact same player, playing at the same level (just a little differently, shooting slightly more, passing slightly less...).

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2009, 08:52:43 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
So even though Mo is asked to do more with less...and his team had the best record in the league...and they are much better than they were at this point last year...and he was the only significant addition....he's not more deserving?

Lebron is the one asked to do more with less, not Mo.  Mo isn't doing anything he wasn't doing prior to arriving in Cleveland.  Mo probably has less responsibility because Lebron has the ball so much.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

The Cavs can stop crying now
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 12:48:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
"Williams will replace Bosh in the All-star game."

They might be done whining and crying but let CB begin... My feeling "WHAT ABOUT RONDO!"  >:(

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2009/news/story?id=3897494
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2009, 12:51:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Wow, I was late on that one... :o
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I don't have a problem with this.  Cavs deserve the 2nd player and Williams has had a fine season.
Yup

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2009, 12:30:39 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

By this logic, anybody the C's would run out there at the point with the Big 3 would average 8 assists a game just because they were playing with them.  So if Eddie House started, he would do it, just because of those guys?  Come on, if you actually watch, Rondo is the one who is actually getting those 3 guys easy looks, not because he simply "defers" to them, because he knows how to get them the ball where they need to score, the primary job of the point guard.  Others probably would defer, but the Celts don't score by deferring to the Big 3 and just letting them take turns playing one on one.  They play together as a unit, and it all starts with Rondo.  Look at the their record and when Rondo plays well, scoring a bit too, they win, when he has a bad game, they lose.  This is far more than him just getting out of the way of the Big 3.

You're not reading what I wrote. I said Rondo is a much better passer, which is why he has more assists, but it also helps that he has the Big 3. If Eddie House ran the point full time and concentrated on distributing instead of spotting up for threes, then yes he'd probably have between 6-8 assists a game. Rondo's primary objective is to create for the Big 3.

He absolutely would not.  He could focus on that 100% of the time, and he would not average 8 assists.  He does not have the skill to beat his man, or the court vision Rondo possesses.  Just because one's role is to create, does not mean he has the skill to actually do it.