Author Topic: LeBron's whining results in All-Star birth for Mo  (Read 18921 times)

Re: LeBron's whining results in All-Star birth for Mo
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 08:34:46 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Chris Bosh is much better than David Lee, which is why he got the ASG vote.

If you don't think Mo Williams has helped the Cavs, then you either haven't seen enough Cavs game are just refuse to believe that he's helped his team a great deal.

LeBron isn't doing anything different than he did last year - but his team is much better. Mo is a guy who can hit jumpers, the 3-ball, shoots a high % from the FT and can get to the rim when he needs to.  The Cavs NEVER had that type of player for LeBron.  Mo is a huge reason why the Cavs are 39-10.

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
Also, you have to remember that Rondo is simply asked to facilitate and get the ball to KG, PP and Ray. This is where he racks up assists - dishing to some of the best players in the game. 

Mo Williams is asked to run the offense and then also play off the ball to create for himself when LeBron is point-forward.

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 08:56:59 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
If importance to the team is what makes an allstar selection then Rondo and Odom would be starting in their respective conferences. To me it seems the allstar selection is heavily based on stats and I'm curious how Mo putting up similar numbers can be having allstar year just because he's playing on a better team especially since he's a PG averaging less assists.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 09:04:42 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Also, you have to remember that Rondo is simply asked to facilitate and get the ball to KG, PP and Ray. This is where he racks up assists - dishing to some of the best players in the game. 

Mo Williams is asked to run the offense and then also play off the ball to create for himself when LeBron is point-forward.

But Rondo runs the offense for the Celtics too Mo gets to dish to one of the leading scorer's in the league its not like he's working harder for his assists. I'm not in the Rondo deserves it more camp but I don't see how he's doing any less for his team than Mo.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 09:19:37 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
this is great... now one more injury and we can add rondo, then add rose. then EVERYBODY can be happy.

Rondo, Mo Williams, Ray Allen, Granger, Lewis

vs.
a lineup of

Amare, Duncan, Dirk, Yao, Shaq

Become Legendary.

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
Lamar Odom plays well probably 40% of the time.

Again, assists for Rondo are much higher because he defers to Allen, Pierce and Garnett.  Mo Williams is asked to do more than just distribute.  He is a legitimate 3pt threat and he has a very good jumper.  Rondo has to pass because he's an average at best jump shooter.

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 09:31:14 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Lamar Odom plays well probably 40% of the time.

Again, assists for Rondo are much higher because he defers to Allen, Pierce and Garnett.  Mo Williams is asked to do more than just distribute.  He is a legitimate 3pt threat and he has a very good jumper.  Rondo has to pass because he's an average at best jump shooter.

Good PGs don't just shoot the ball. The idea is to get everyone involved. Rondo does an excellent job of this. Steve Nash can shoot and pass and was able to do both. Also doesn't Mo get to pass to Lebron? This does not make him better or more worthy of being in the All star game.

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 09:35:23 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens

But Rondo runs the offense for the Celtics too Mo gets to dish to one of the leading scorer's in the league its not like he's working harder for his assists. I'm not in the Rondo deserves it more camp but I don't see how he's doing any less for his team than Mo.

Again - Rondo has THREE of the best players in the league and is only asked to distribute. Doc does not ask him to go out there and score.  Mo is asked to distribute to really one guy and score. He has more to do.

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens

Good PGs don't just shoot the ball. The idea is to get everyone involved. Rondo does an excellent job of this. Steve Nash can shoot and pass and was able to do both. Also doesn't Mo get to pass to Lebron? This does not make him better or more worthy of being in the All star game.

I agree, but good points also score and create for themselves. Rondo is mediocre at this still, which you cannot deny. 

Again, Mo is a good outside shooter, can penetrate and can distribute the ball decently.  He isn't as a good of a passer as Rondo, but again for the 100th time - Rondo has 3 guys to pass to who are great shooters.

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton

Again - Rondo has THREE of the best players in the league and is only asked to distribute. Doc does not ask him to go out there and score.  Mo is asked to distribute to really one guy and score. He has more to do.

Cleveland did ok last year without him.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 09:40:56 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton

I agree, but good points also score and create for themselves. Rondo is mediocre at this still, which you cannot deny. 

Again, Mo is a good outside shooter, can penetrate and can distribute the ball decently.  He isn't as a good of a passer as Rondo, but again for the 100th time - Rondo has 3 guys to pass to who are great shooters.

Once again Mo has Lebron and Z to get the ball to. Should I slight Mo because he has good teammates also? Give me a break. Cavs did fine last year without him.

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
Yes - they did "ok".

Now they're doing much better.

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
Once again Mo has Lebron and Z to get the ball to. Should I slight Mo because he has good teammates also? Give me a break. Cavs did fine last year without him.

Z missed 15 games this season.  If you think Z makes up for the productivity that Pierce and Allen bring,
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:45:46 PM by Edgar »

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:15 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
Yes - they did "ok".

Now they're doing much better.

Not really. That is still yet to be determined. They have not won anything.

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:40 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
Of course Mo Williams helps Cleveland.  That is not what qualifies an All-Star though.  The Cavs could be 45-1, and that does not automatically mean their 2nd most productive player makes the All-Star team, that player has to be better than other players, period.  The only # that Williams is better than Ray Allen is assists, and he is supposedly their point guard. 

He doesn't get extra credit because he has given the Cavs a secondary threat.  His importance to the Cavs has zero to do with whether he is an All-Star or not.  By that argument, Posey should have been an All-Star last year, or any other player that fits in well and improves a team.  He doesn't even average 18 points a game and less than 5 assists.  That is an All-Star? They may as well just take the top 4 teams in the league and take their 2-3 best players if this is the criteria.

Is Mo Williams having a good year?  Yes.  Does he make the Cavs a better team?  Definitely.  But is he an All-Star performer compared to his peers in the league?  No way, he is the same player he was in Milwaukee last year and he was not considered close to being an All-Star.