Author Topic: Paul Pierce's Five Most Clutch Performances  (Read 2451 times)

Paul Pierce's Five Most Clutch Performances
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Celtics Hub has a good article about Paul Pierce's five most clutch performances.  I'll let you guys click the link to read the criteria, but here's their list:

5) Game 5: 2002 first-round series vs. Philadelphia

The Rebirth: After a six-season playoff drought, the C’s were back. Sure, they weren’t very good (49-33, seeded third), but just being in the playoffs made the team feel important again. After losing a tough Game 4 at Philly (’Toine missed and end-of-game three, natch), the C’s were home for the decisive Game 5 — the first really big game in a long, long time. And Pierce did this: 46 points on 15-for-26 from the field, including 8-of-10 from deep, to lead the C’s to a 120-87 win. This might rank higher had the game been close, but you put up 46 in a series-deciding game, you get on this list.

4) (tie): 2003 first-round series vs. Indiana, Games 1 and 4.

I’m cheating a bit, but it’s hard to separate these two games, since they were the pivotal games in a 4-2 series win over the Reggie-J.O. Pacers. The C’s stole Game 1 at Indy, 103-100, by outscoring the Pacers 34-21 in the fourth quarter. Pierce had 21 of those points — on just five shot attempts. He went 4-for-5, including 3-for-3 from deep, and 10-for-10 from the line. A dominant quarter, the very definition of clutch. When you have a fourth quarter like that (and finish with 40 points), it doesn’t matter if you shot 8-of-24 for the game.

Game 4 is the famous Al Harrington trash talk game. Here’s the clip, and here’s the ESPN recap, in which Harrington recounts Pierce saying, “I hope you’re ready, because I’m ready to bring it” before Pierce nailed a three in Harrington’s face to end the third quarter. Pierce finished with 37-10-7, including 21 in a third-quarter that started with the C’s down 47-36 and ended with Boston up 73-61.

3) Game 1: 2008 NBA Finals vs. Los Angeles

Maybe I’m over-rating this game for sentimental reasons. It is hard to describe what a long-time Celtics fan felt when Pierce injured his right knee and was carried off the court with 6:48 left in the third quarter and the Celtics down 62-58. I remember telling my girlfriend at the time that it was unfair — to the team, to fans enjoying the 1980s nostalgia, but most of all to Pierce, who had waited so long to have an honest chance to win. And he was playing well — he was 3-for-3 from the field in the third to keep the Celtics in the game before the injury.

The C’s actually scored five straight points to take the lead before Pierce re-entered with 5:03 left. He attacked immediately, drawing a shooting foul on Kobe Bryant on his first possession back in the game. That had to have psyched up the team.

But the three-pointers that came later — those three-pointers were magic. The first, with 1:25 to go in the third, put the C’s up 72-71. After a stop, Pierce made another, and the C’s were up 75-71.

If you believe in things like “setting the tone” and “momentum,” this stretch set the tone for the series and gave the Celtics momentum to win a title. Pierce was quiet otherwise, with 22 total points, but those 15 in the third quarter just felt more important than regular points. They were inspiring.

2) Game 3: 2002 Eastern Conference Finals vs. New Jersey

Confession: I didn’t watch the fourth quarter of this game live. The C’s were down 21 entering the quarter, and they looked awful. I was in Boston visiting my girlfriend, we had plans, and I was trying to turn over a new leaf and be mature about my sports fandom.

We went to see a movie. I don’t remember what it was. When we came out of the theater in Cambridge, people on the streets were waving green towels and chanting “Let’s Go Celtics.” I thought, “They couldn’t have. There’s no way.” I asked a stranger, and he told me what had happened.

I learned my lesson about being mature. What I missed was among the greatest comebacks in sports history, and Pierce fueled it more than anyone. He scored 19 of the C’s 41 points in the fourth quarter, going 6-for-7 from the floor and 7-for-9 from the line, including a 2-for-2 trip with 46 seconds left to put Boston up 91-90.

Look at the play-by-play: Every shot PIerce took was right at the rim. When you attack like that and no one can stop you, it takes the jumper–and the inherent cold streaks that go with it–out of the equation. Pierce was relentless, the Nets had no answer, and he got to the line nine times in one quarter. A masterpiece.

1) Game 7: 2008 Eastern Conference semi-finals vs. Cleveland

It’s in the argument for greatest post-season performance in Celtic history — 41 points on 13-of-23 shooting, matching LeBron’s 45-point classic shot-for-shot. The only possible knock on this game: Pierce was quiet and sloppy in the fourth quarter, scoring “just” six points and turning the ball over four times. But that doesn’t erase the fact that without Pierce, a 66-16 Celtics team goes home after the second round. It would likely have been the biggest disappointment in Celtic post-season history. There was also the most important jump ball in Celtics history, when Pierce out-hustled LeBron for possession with 1:00 to go and the C’s clinging to a 91-88 lead. Thankfully, David Thorpe is doing his best to make sure everyone remembers this play.

Honorable Mention:

• 2002: Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals vs. Detroit (Pierce scored 23 of his 25 in the second half to lead the underdog Celtics to a 90-79 win and a 3-1 series lead. Pierce also grabbed 17 boards).

• 2008: Game 4 of the NBA Finals vs. Los Angeles (The Comeback Game is the toughest omission from the Pierce top five. Pierce scored 10 points on 3-for-3 shooting in a third quarter that saw the C’s trim an 18-point halftime deficit to just two going into the fourth. He also had three assists in the quarter and two more on the two biggest baskets of the fourth quarter — Eddie House’s jumper to finally put the C’s up, 84-83, and Ray Allen’s tough lay-in to extend the lead to three. Pierce was 1-for-3 from the field in the fourth and 3-of-4 at the line. He finished with 20-7-4 for the game).

• 2008: Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals vs. Detroit (Pierce scored 12 points in the 4th quarter as the C’s outscored the Pistons 29-13 to rally for a huge road win and a trip the Finals. Pierce hit two free throws with 1:35 left to put the C’s up 85-79 and ice the game).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Paul Pierce's Five Most Clutch Performances
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nice, I was at 4 of those games in person. (4B, 3, 2, 1)

The Indy trash talk game was incredible.  Pierce was absolutely on fire and hitting everything.  As the clock was winding down at the end of that third quarter, everyone in the Garden knew Pierce was gonna take the shot.  You could see the two of them jawing back and forth and then it was "Swish" from downtown and the place erupted.  Great moment.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Nice, I was at 4 of those games in person. (4B, 3, 2, 1)

The Indy trash talk game was incredible.  Pierce was absolutely on fire and hitting everything.  As the clock was winding down at the end of that third quarter, everyone in the Garden knew Pierce was gonna take the shot.  You could see the two of them jawing back and forth and then it was "Swish" from downtown and the place erupted.  Great moment.

Yep, there with ya, Dons.  Prior to making it to Game 2 of the Finals, I'd say Game 4 against Indy was my best in-person sports experience.  And that third quarter for PP is still the greatest quarter of basketball I've ever seen.

I'll be keeping my VCR forever simply because I taped that game when I went to it and love sitting down from time to time just to watch that third-quarter effort.  Just unreal.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:24:39 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i enjoyed that read

no question why he is called "the truth"

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would say when he was clutching both his Finals MVP trophy and the championship trophy at the same time, then proclaimed himself the best player in the league like a week later, that was his best clutch performance. He did a very good job clutching those trophies even in the parade.