Author Topic: Robert Horry (merged threads)  (Read 8981 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He is the first one on my list to call if there are no buyouts of better players (or trades).  I would much rather they wait for Smith, or someone like that, but come March 1st, if there is no one new out there, then Horry should be the guy.

I think the Celtics should sign him as soon as possible. They waited on Dikembe Mutumbo and missed out. Why miss out on a clutch player like Robert Horry while hoping for buyouts which are never a sure thing.

It also give us the ability to trade BBD in a package because Horry will now be the PF shooting those open 15-18 ft's and 3 pointers.

a package of TA, Giddens and BBD along with scals salary could maybe get us a decent return of a Big man and wing man or PG

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He is the first one on my list to call if there are no buyouts of better players (or trades).  I would much rather they wait for Smith, or someone like that, but come March 1st, if there is no one new out there, then Horry should be the guy.

I think the Celtics should sign him as soon as possible. They waited on Dikembe Mutumbo and missed out. Why miss out on a clutch player like Robert Horry while hoping for buyouts which are never a sure thing.

It also give us the ability to trade BBD in a package because Horry will now be the PF shooting those open 15-18 ft's and 3 pointers.

To be honest, i am not completely sure he is better than Scal at this point in his career.  So I don't think the C's should be giving him a roster spot, until they are sure they can't get anyone better.  If they miss out on him, it is absolutely not the end of the world.  But if they don't get anyone else, he certainly could add some nice depth.

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Horry's done. Ainge didn't bother to make an offer to Mutombo and he won't bother with Horry.

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

a package of TA, Giddens and BBD along with scals salary could maybe get us a decent return of a Big man and wing man or PG

What exactly did the Celtics "miss out" on with Mutombo?  He's 42 yrs old and has played in 3 games with the Rockets since joining them over a month ago.  He's putting up 1 ppg and 2 rpg in 5 mpg.

There comes a time when you can't just look at the guy's reputation.  You have to come to the realization that he's just too old and worn out.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

To be honest, i am not completely sure he is better than Scal at this point in his career.  So I don't think the C's should be giving him a roster spot, until they are sure they can't get anyone better.  If they miss out on him, it is absolutely not the end of the world.  But if they don't get anyone else, he certainly could add some nice depth.

I know he looked like he was out of gas at the end of last season, but the whole spurs team was beat up . I think people look too much at the stats for last season and say he is done.  He avg'd the same points and rebs as PJ Brown last season (actually a little bit more). The one glaring stat from last year was that he only shot 25% from 3's( his career avg is 34%) that has to be due to having tired legs, but with 7 months off I think his legs should be back for those big 3's. I say sign him regardless of if anyone else gets bought out. It is just the vet minimum for the rest of the year ...

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I know he looked like he was out of gas at the end of last season, but the whole spurs team was beat up . I think people look too much at the stats for last season and say he is done.  He avg'd the same points and rebs as PJ Brown last season (actually a little bit more). The one glaring stat from last year was that he only shot 25% from 3's( his career avg is 34%) that has to be due to having tired legs, but with 7 months off I think his legs should be back for those big 3's. I say sign him regardless of if anyone else gets bought out. It is just the vet minimum for the rest of the year ...

The problem isn't the money (although I am sure the owners would disagree in the current economic climate, and after freezing next years ticket prices), it is that in order to sign him you need to cut someone.  Then if someone else comes along, you need to cut someone else.  And if a third guy comes along, you need to cut yet another guy. 

Horry is way too much of a questionmark to use those roster spots on(and eat the money of the guy you cut), before you are sure someone better isn't going to come along.  Especially since he plays a position that you already have strength at.

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Horry's eFG% for the last 4 seasons:

2004-05: .533
2005-06: .499
2006-07: .480 
2007-08: .426

Pop values very much the kind of stuff Horry brings to the table. Yet, he's calling up guys from the D-League who play Horry's position. Heck, he offered Austin Croshere a contract. He barely played Horry in the playoffs last season and chose not to re-sign him this Summer - when he had all the reasons to do it if Horry, a player with awesome intangibles (great locker room presence, high BBIQ, enforcer, etc.), had anything at all left in the tank.

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
No way, What can he possibly add to this team beside tired old legs. If he was the same player he was, the spurs would've brought him by now.

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Like Sam Cassell, Horry's best days are way behind him. That said, he may have been hurt last year. A nagging injury at his age would really slow him down, as it did Cassell last year.

The fact that we are keeping Cassell stashed as an emergency PG this year and the likelihood that he will be in much better shape if we do activate him toward the end of the season makes me believe there is a chance that Horry could present a 10 mpg effective presence. The easy answer is to bring him into town for a few workouts and see how he looks.

PJ Brown could not have been very effective last year if he played the whole year for us. That is the difference IMO with age, the long haul wears down a players endurance and they are unable to recover as quickly. For limited minutes, including practice, at the end of the season/playoffs a guy in good shape like PJ was can certainly be effective.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
well I have gone over his stats and I have indeed now convinced myself he was fighting injuries all year and if he plays a 1/3 of they year he might well be ok. There really wasn't a lot of drop off until last year. He was playing 20 minutes a game they year before. Heck even in last years playoffs, when he was clearly cooked, he played 10 minutes a game. And he wasn't a bad shot blocker orrebounder per 48 minutes until last year. If we had Horry, PP, Ray, House, Scal at the end of the game for a three they'll be a pain to guard

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Like Sam Cassell, Horry's best days are way behind him. That said, he may have been hurt last year. A nagging injury at his age would really slow him down, as it did Cassell last year.

The fact that we are keeping Cassell stashed as an emergency PG this year and the likelihood that he will be in much better shape if we do activate him toward the end of the season makes me believe there is a chance that Horry could present a 10 mpg effective presence. The easy answer is to bring him into town for a few workouts and see how he looks.

PJ Brown could not have been very effective last year if he played the whole year for us. That is the difference IMO with age, the long haul wears down a players endurance and they are unable to recover as quickly. For limited minutes, including practice, at the end of the season/playoffs a guy in good shape like PJ was can certainly be effective.

I agree on all of the above

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/019510.html?mi_rss=Kings%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

So it looks like Celtics are going to be right on top of the list to get Robert Horry and I think without a doubt they need to. I know he is old , but the guy has had 7 months off to get his legs back. He will be fresh for the playoff run and he is CLUTCH.

Scal has been very solid this year for the Celts, but come on who do you want in there in a pressure playoff situation, Scal or "Big Shot Bob". This guy has made so many huge shots and can't you just see him hitting a game winner in the finals against his old team the Fakers?

It also allows us to move a package from these players :

Scal, POB, Giddens, TA , Pruitt  or even walker if it is worth it

and get a more consistent wing man or another big man
old legs don't come back. 

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Robert Horry is among the handful of role players who plays very well within an established system. In Houston, it was triple team Olajuwon, out to Horry for a three. When Houston ditched him, Kenny Smith, and Cassell for a washed up Barkley, the Sonics simply took out Drexler's slashes to the basket, since Glyde's outside jumper wasn't falling, and the entire Rocket's game was neutralized to Olajuwon having to score for everyone else.

Likewise, in LA and SA, Horry pulled a repeat performance esp in the '01 Game 3 against the Sixers when he was a 3 pt machine in the end. I think for the most part, he'll do that for the C's, with the occasional shot blocking, fill-in for KG, 'cause he'll essentially be on stage for 5 mins a contest and that doesn't take a lot out of a veteran player.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Anything's worth a shot at this point.  While ideally the bench could use a Brown clone, a Posey clone, and a Cassell from 3 years ago clone, we ultimately could make due with any upgrade.  Horry would give some length and more importantly some added range.  It's one thing to play small ball.  It's another thing to play small ball with three guys on the court who can't hit a three (Powe, Davis, and TA).

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I know he is old(38), I know he looked like he was done at the end of last year, I know all of this.

BUT

He is the only option left....

Unless of course you prefer Anotine Walker?

I think Danny needs to sign Horry as soon as possible. Now that Jow Smith has been traded to New Orleans there is no way they cut him. Look at what else is out there for free agent Big men

Free agent big men available

http://www.insidehoops.com/free-agents.shtml

PF : Aaron Williams, Hiram Fuller, Chris Taft, Samaki Walker, Othella Harrington, Danny Fortson,Andre Brown, Antoine Walker, Chris Richard

C  : Jelani McCoy, Steven Hill, Michael Doleac, Michael Olowokandi, Jackie Butler, Scot Pollard, Dwayne Jones, Rafael Araujo

There is no one on that list of free agents I would rather at add the 4 or 5 then Robert Horry. He is clutch, He has championships, and most importantly he has had 7 Months to rest his legs.

I don't see any other PF and C getting bought out that would add to the Celtic as much as a WELL RESTED Robert Horry  can bring to the table

I really hope Danny signs him before another contender scoops him up.