Author Topic: Robert Horry (merged threads)  (Read 8953 times)

Robert Horry (merged threads)
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:44:59 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know it was mentioned on here a few months ago, but I haven't heard anything on the Horry front lately.  I know he didn't look like he has much at the end of last season, but with extra rest this year he might be able to have one more good playoff run in him.

According to this article , he says if a contending team calls him he will be playing again this year .

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/columnists/29984294.html

“I've been playing 16 years,” he said, “and counting four years of playoff games, my body has told me I need more than three months of rest between seasons. I haven't felt this good for a long time, physically and mentally, too.”

What Horry can still see is a call, perhaps in February or March, from a title contender in need of a savvy veteran for the stretch run. The Celtics signed 38-year-old P.J. Brown out of retirement last season on Feb. 28. He helped them win the 2008 title.

Horry's playoff savvy and proven ability to make a big shot should make him every bit as valuable an addition next February as Brown was then. He promises to stay in good enough shape to come out of retirement if the call comes.

“I won't be filing official retirement papers any time soon, that's for sure,” Horry said. “You'll probably see me on somebody's roster before the season is over.”

I don't think that the spurs will sign him again because they have found a very nice replacement with Roger Mason becoming the new big shot man on that team.

For the celtics he would bring all that championship experience, clutch shooting and length along the front line , which we desperately need. He is a legit 6'10-6'11 so could help guarding Gasol and Big Z in the playoffs . He fits that Posey role from last year of defending and spacing the floor with clutch shooting .  He has now had about 7 months off and should have his legs for the stretch run.

Get on it Danny and Sam I AM!!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:54:02 PM by rondohondo »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Robert Horry hates Danny Ainge. I'm 99% sure he would not come to Boston because of this minor detail.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Robert Horry hates Danny Ainge. I'm 99% sure he would not come to Boston.

because he threw a towel at him over 10 years ago? I think they could get past that . Plus he is pretty good friends with Sam, they started together by winning a championship, why not go out together by winning a championship ?

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Robert Horry hates Danny Ainge. I'm 99% sure he would not come to Boston.

because he threw a towel at him over 10 years ago? I think they could get past that . Plus he is pretty good friends with Sam, they started together by winning a championship, why not go out together by winning a championship ?

It was more than just an isolated incident; the two apparently hated each other, which is why Horry was traded.

As they say, time heals all wounds, as does money and the chance at a ring.  Still, can Horry bring anything to the table, or is he finished?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Horry's fine and all but we really need another point guard more than another 6'9" forward..

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
He looked done last season. I'd pass.

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Horry is finished. He's way too old.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Agreed.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Agreed.

I would want PJ Brown back if I could have my way, and I am sure most of you agree with me there. Unfortunately it appears he is retired for good, but you can't say that Horry is all washed up when in reality he has played less minutes then PJ over the course of their careers

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownpj01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/horryro01.html

PJ Brown      1089 GP      31.1 MPG             33,823  Total Mins                                                  
Playoffs:     106  GP      12.8 MPG            2,881   Total Mins

Robert Horry: 1107 GP       24,5 MPG            27,066  Total Mins

Playoffs:     244 GP       14.4 MPG              6,823  Total Mins

While Horry played in 156 more total games than PJ Brown , he actually played 2,815 less minutes then PJ Brown . That means PJ Brown in reality played about 58 more games then Robert Horry . Look at what PJ Brown did last year for us ,  he didn't play a huge role in the playoffs only playing 8.2 MPG in the playoffs and with 0.5 PPG and 2.4 RPG , but he came up with a HUGE shot in Game 7 against Cleveland .

Look at it this way , if KG fouls out of an important game like he did the other night against LA , who do you want taking open shots , BBD or Robert "Big Shot " Horry ?

Also in close late game situations , he would give the Celtics another option to go to , just like Posey did last year.

It's not like you can argue against his resume, it speaks for itself. He has had 7 months to get his legs rested and if you want PJ Brown you can't say Robert Horry is done when he has played 58 less games then PJ in reality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkArsWPZbg&feature=related
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:16:54 PM by rondohondo »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Agreed.

I would want PJ Brown back if I could have my way, and I am sure most of you agree with me there. Unfortunately it appears he is retired for good, but you can't say that Horry is all washed up when in reality he has played a lot less minutes then PJ over the course of their careers

PJ Brown      1089 GP      31.1 MPG             33,823  Ttoal Minutes played                                                       

Robert Horry: 1107 GP       24,5 MPG            27,066  Total Minutes Played

While Horry played in 18 more total games than PJ Brown , he actually played 6,757 less minutes then PJ Brown . That means PJ Brown in reality played about 140 more games then Robert Horry . Look at what PJ Brown did last year for us ,  he didn't play a huge role in the playoffs only playing 8.2 MPG in the playoffs and with 0.5 PPG and 2.4 RPG , but he came up with a HUGE shot in Game 7 against Cleveland .

Look at it this way , if KG fouls out of an important game like he did the other night against LA , who do you want taking open shots , BBD or Robert "Big Shot " Horry ?

Also in close late game situations , he would give the Celtics another option to go to , just like Posey did last year.

It's not like you can argue against his resume, it speaks for itself. He has had 7 months to get his legs rested and if you want PJ Brown you can't say Robert Horry is done when he has played 140 less games then PJ in reality...

Are you serious? Basketball players don't run out of gas like that, it's just a metaphor. Some guys are finished playing less games than others... I mean, are you really arguing that if PJ isn't done than Horry is also good to go because he played less 7 games? Horry had nothing left in the tank last season. It was painfully obvious to anyone who watched him, I believe.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Agreed.

I would want PJ Brown back if I could have my way, and I am sure most of you agree with me there. Unfortunately it appears he is retired for good, but you can't say that Horry is all washed up when in reality he has played a lot less minutes then PJ over the course of their careers

While Horry played in 18 more total games than PJ Brown , he actually played 6,757 less minutes then PJ Brown . That means PJ Brown in reality played about 140 more games then Robert Horry . Look at what PJ Brown did last year for us ,  he didn't play a huge role in the playoffs only playing 8.2 MPG in the playoffs and with 0.5 PPG and 2.4 RPG , but he came up with a HUGE shot in Game 7 against Cleveland .

It's not like you can argue against his resume, it speaks for itself. He has had 7 months to get his legs rested and if you want PJ Brown you can't say Robert Horry is done when he has played 140 less games then PJ in reality...

Are you serious? Basketball players don't run out of gas like that, it's just a metaphor. Some guys are finished playing less games than others... I mean, are you really arguing that if PJ isn't done than Horry is also good to go because he played less 7 games? Horry had nothing left in the tank last season. It was painfully obvious to anyone who watched him, I believe.

Why not add him to the team if it gives us a better chance to win? They were going after freaking Reggie Miller earlier this season. You have to fill out your roster to give you chance the best team to win

I'll say it again if it comes down to BBD ,Scal ,Powe or Horry in a big spot who do you want in there ?  Horry only has to play 5-10 a game and if he makes a big shot it is all worth it .
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:21:12 PM by rondohondo »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
let's all call him.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/019510.html?mi_rss=Kings%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

So it looks like Celtics are going to be right on top of the list to get Robert Horry and I think without a doubt they need to. I know he is old , but the guy has had 7 months off to get his legs back. He will be fresh for the playoff run and he is CLUTCH.

Scal has been very solid this year for the Celts, but come on who do you want in there in a pressure playoff situation, Scal or "Big Shot Bob". This guy has made so many huge shots and can't you just see him hitting a game winner in the finals against his old team the Fakers?

It also allows us to move a package from these players :

Scal, POB, Giddens, TA , Pruitt  or even walker if it is worth it

and get a more consistent wing man or another big man

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Agreed.

Too bad, though. Jamario Moon would have another 15 years or so if that were the case...

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He is the first one on my list to call if there are no buyouts of better players (or trades).  I would much rather they wait for Smith, or someone like that, but come March 1st, if there is no one new out there, then Horry should be the guy.