Author Topic: Hornets Regret Signing Posey Already?  (Read 54418 times)

Re: Hornets Regret Signing Posey Already?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I'd make a deal for him a heartbeat, the 4th years be [dang]ed.  The C's need help this year and there might not be anything worth playing for 3 years from now. 
And this is why I'm glad Danny is the GM and not any of us.  Exhibit 1.

If we dealt for Posey, CLE would start quakin'....That move would make us very hard to beat.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:48 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I'd love to see something like that but include maybe Walker or BBD and get Wright in return...add some athleticism and all round basketballness.

This saves them money in both the long and short term:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2367~3019~1021~1709~671&teams=3~3~3~2~2&te=&cash=

Of course, I'm sure that Danny still doesn't want to take on Posey's salary commitment, but it would upgrade us at two positions.  The only player in that deal I'd miss is Scal.

yeah, I'm not sure that NO gets enough salary relief or talent back in that deal. I think we would have to give up one of our rooks...

it would seriously blow if CLE landed Pose....If they were trotting out a bench of Gibson, Pose, Varejao and Hickson.

I would not feel good about facing that.

Mo
DWest
LeBron
Wallace
Z

Gibson
Pose
Varejao
Hickson

That is a pretty tough squad to beat.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 02:56:02 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Though the Hornets are under the luxury tax, they are over budget and will be looking to move a big-ticket player -- Chandler, Stojakovic, Peterson or perhaps even James Posey, a luxury that ownership might soon realize it couldn't afford.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11348284

Posey debate is always rampant on the board and no doubt if we don't win another title, it will be blamed on DA for not signing Posey but it looks like New Orleans may have had eyes bigger than their wallet.  I felt it was too much to pay for Posey and don't blame DA for that one.  We are going to need to do something to get better if we are going to beat LAL/Cavs though.  I hope DA has something up his sleeve.

Wow, i'm so surprised NO has regrets... They'll really regret that singing in 2 years. At that point he'd be getting about 7 mil per year.

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

There was a post describing how the Hornets are not a good team or something. Last year they made the final 4 of the NBA and were exactly in the position where one key role player could got them to that next level.  They thought that piece was Posey and were willing to over-pay to get him.  I think they have had some injuries but they do not appear to have gotten better.

In the interest of full disclosure, the bolded part is inaccurate, as the Hornets were eliminated in seven games by San Antonio in the second round (after holding 2-0 and 3-2 leads in the series).  That said, I agree completely with the rest of the sentiments in that paragraph, VG.

-sw

That's a misrepresentation of MY post. I said the Hornet's aren't an excellent or elite team. That kind of distinction is reserved for the Celtics, Cavs, and Lakers. The Hornets are good, they're just not good enough to vie for a championship. They are a second tier ball club, behind the group of 40 win 10 loss teams that dominate the league.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
What exactly has DA learned about Posey that he didn't already know last summer when he decided not to spend the money?  Has he gotten that much better or have the Celts been that much worse?  I would say no, considering the team is 1 game ahead of last year's pace right now.  Of course Posey would help on the court, Danny knows that too, knew it when he lost him, it was about the contract.  That issue didn't suddenly go away.

We can fantasize about having Posey, but it is not going to happen.

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2367~3019~1021~1709~671&teams=3~3~3~2~2&te=&cash=

Of course, I'm sure that Danny still doesn't want to take on Posey's salary commitment, but it would upgrade us at two positions.  The only player in that deal I'd miss is Scal.

As much as I have been defending POB of late, I would do Roy's proposed deal in a heartbeat, and think Danny would strongly considerate doing it as well.  NO may have an interest in POB especially if they move Chandler as has been rumored.
Glad to know you'd be willing to part ways with our 13th man Patrick O'Bryant to get an essential piece to a championship winning team.   

Oh, and he could replace Tyson Chandler in an instant. If you're New Orleans, forget trading Posey for cap relief, it's all about Patrick O'Bryant baby!!  ::)

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I like Wide Load's deal. I'm not sure NO would do it though.

On a side note, perhaps NO isn't the best market to have a team in.

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 05:41:24 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Im sure Posey misses playing here
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The only Chandler Paddy could replace on the floor is perhaps Chandler Bing.

Love Roy's trade; doubt NO is that desperate. Besides, Wyc's still got Lincoln's imprint on his thumbs.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Not sure how this doesn't still put us in a bind that 3rd and especially 4th year when he will likely be in huge decline?! The decision for DA is the same. We just would have lost half of one of his more productive seasons. Now DA would be faced with getting him for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 good seasons instead of 2-3 this past offseason.

I am not saying that Posey, who I absolutely loved and wish he had re-signed for 3 years, isn't better than all three of those guys, however it causes additional problems because we also lose 2 bigs. BBD and Powe would be our only backup bigs. Without someone to fill that role this doesn't really make sense at all. We are weakening our front court and committing to too much money for too long.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166

That trade also frees us a roster spot meaning we wont need to cut anyone if we were to make a late season signing ala Joe Smith/ Marbury.

Great trade Roy, however I think New Orleans will try and save face on this signing and trade away someone like Peja.

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 07:09:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Woo hoo...at last a replacement for the vacant Bring Back Twoine topic

Bring Back POSE!
Yup

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Not sure how this doesn't still put us in a bind that 3rd and especially 4th year when he will likely be in huge decline?! The decision for DA is the same. We just would have lost half of one of his more productive seasons. Now DA would be faced with getting him for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 good seasons instead of 2-3 this past offseason.

I am not saying that Posey, who I absolutely loved and wish he had re-signed for 3 years, isn't better than all three of those guys, however it causes additional problems because we also lose 2 bigs. BBD and Powe would be our only backup bigs. Without someone to fill that role this doesn't really make sense at all. We are weakening our front court and committing to too much money for too long.

"likely be in a huge decline"....I'd have to disagree with that assessment. what exactly is that based on?.....he at the very least could be knocking down threes at that point.

I've yet to see how a 6-7mil contract for a bench player is going to be a huge detriment to our team in 2011...

plus, the main value to having Posey would be in the playoffs IMO.

Not that it is even a remote possibility at this point, but bringing back Pose is the best idea I have seen so far....

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

"likely be in a huge decline"....I'd have to disagree with that assessment. what exactly is that based on?.....he at the very least could be knocking down threes at that point.

I've yet to see how a 6-7mil contract for a bench player is going to be a huge detriment to our team in 2011...

plus, the main value to having Posey would be in the playoffs IMO.

Not that it is even a remote possibility at this point, but bringing back Pose is the best idea I have seen so far....

This was the whole reason DA wouldn't give him that extra year. By the time you are in that 4th year, and possibly the 3rd, he'll be a 35 year old guy who made his name off of his defensive prowess, however he won't be able to do the things at that age that he can do now. We'll be left with is a guy that shoots pretty good from 3. We can get lots of guys that shoot "pretty good" from three for a lot less money and not be stuck with no ability to sign a better player due to the contract. I think Posey is going to be very solid for another couple years, however I think, and DA did as well, that we would regret that 4th year and possibly the third even.

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 07:43:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Good chance that the report from Ken Berger is incorrect. It's a follow up report from, I'm guessing, another incorrect report on the Marion-Chandler trade discussions.

The Hornets knew exactly what their luxury tax situation was prior to signing Posey. They sold their draft pick so that they'd be able to be comfortable signing Posey.

It's hard to believe that just six or so months later they've discovered a money problem. If the Hornets are interested in trading one of their key players, I doubt it's financially motivated.