Author Topic: Hornets Regret Signing Posey Already?  (Read 54074 times)

Hornets Regret Signing Posey Already?
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Though the Hornets are under the luxury tax, they are over budget and will be looking to move a big-ticket player -- Chandler, Stojakovic, Peterson or perhaps even James Posey, a luxury that ownership might soon realize it couldn't afford.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11348284

Posey debate is always rampant on the board and no doubt if we don't win another title, it will be blamed on DA for not signing Posey but it looks like New Orleans may have had eyes bigger than their wallet.  I felt it was too much to pay for Posey and don't blame DA for that one.  We are going to need to do something to get better if we are going to beat LAL/Cavs though.  I hope DA has something up his sleeve.

Re: Hornets Regret Signing Posey Already?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well crap if they thought about that earlier, we could of had him for that reasonable deal.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 01:07:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This saves them money in both the long and short term:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2367~3019~1021~1709~671&teams=3~3~3~2~2&te=&cash=

Of course, I'm sure that Danny still doesn't want to take on Posey's salary commitment, but it would upgrade us at two positions.  The only player in that deal I'd miss is Scal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:18:04 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
James Posey is what you call a "final piece". He is the guy you add to an elite team to push them over the top and get them a ring. He does the little things that you need someone to do if you want to get a ring. However, you need to have the proper core players as well. Your team must already be excellent for James Posey to make an important difference. The Hornets are not excellent; they are not elite. That's why Posey hasn't helped them. I would regret signing him to such a long deal too if I felt like my team wasn't good enough to compete for a ring.

CP3 is a great player, but the way the Hornets run their offense is totally designed to let him get "his". He dribbles 16 seconds off of the shot clock and either takes it to the basket for a floater, kicks it out, or throws an alley oop to Chandler. His numbers wouldn't be so great if he wasn't responsible for all of their offense. 35 points and 15 assists! wow! How many points did the team have? Oh... 85. That's CP3 + some fast break baskets and points off of turnovers or offensive rebounds.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:24:12 PM by Rondo_is_better »
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2367~3019~1021~1709~671&teams=3~3~3~2~2&te=&cash=

Of course, I'm sure that Danny still doesn't want to take on Posey's salary commitment, but it would upgrade us at two positions.  The only player in that deal I'd miss is Scal.

As much as I have been defending POB of late, I would do Roy's proposed deal in a heartbeat, and think Danny would strongly considerate doing it as well.  NO may have an interest in POB especially if they move Chandler as has been rumored.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Let's just hope Cleveland or LA don't snatch him up. (LA less likely since they are a conference rival). If Byron Scott has any say-so in any trade, he would probably nix Posey's return to Boston. He still hates the Celtics. Fortunately, he needs to just worry about keeping his job, and has no standing to block such a move.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I sure can't see DA trading for a contract that he could have easily matched in the off season.  It is tough for a player when they sign a contract that is over-priced and immovable.  Unfortunately, Posey is now in that category.  I don't think he will be moved.

There was a post describing how the Hornets are not a good team or something.  Last year they made the final 4 of the NBA and were exactly in the position where one key role player could got them to that next level.  They thought that piece was Posey and were willing to over-pay to get him.  I think they have had some injuries but they do not appear to have gotten better.

Posey was a very smart signing at $2.5M for 1 year or what ever it was and he may at some point prove to be worth every penny they spent but right now, on the open market, no one is going to want to take on his contract unless of course it is in exchange for an equally "bad" contract (I say "bad" as I could think of a better word).

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

There was a post describing how the Hornets are not a good team or something. Last year they made the final 4 of the NBA and were exactly in the position where one key role player could got them to that next level.  They thought that piece was Posey and were willing to over-pay to get him.  I think they have had some injuries but they do not appear to have gotten better.

In the interest of full disclosure, the bolded part is inaccurate, as the Hornets were eliminated in seven games by San Antonio in the second round (after holding 2-0 and 3-2 leads in the series).  That said, I agree completely with the rest of the sentiments in that paragraph, VG.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd make a deal for him a heartbeat, the 4th years be [dang]ed.  The C's need help this year and there might not be anything worth playing for 3 years from now. 

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Pose was in one heck of a shooting slump over the past few weeks, which probably contributed to their anxiety over him, but in general I think he's been a positive for the Hornets.  Plus he shot pretty well yesterday, so the slump may be over.  It's really the rest of the Hornets that have surprised me with how... not great they are.  They aren't really bad, per se.  They just somehow don't seem as much of a threat as they were last year.

Do I think they'll trade him?  Probably not-his contract will be hard to move.  Would I, as a sentimental armchair GM, trade for him to get him back on the Cs?  Heck yeah.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 02:28:18 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
this could be exactly what we were looking for.

NO has been cash strapped for a while. They traded their first round pick (which could have landed them Darell Arthur) for money...

The reason they are looking to move contracts I would imagine has to do with their season being less that what they had hoped for. Injuries are at the top of the list with Chandler and CP3 currently down and West still fighting a bad back....

This season has definitely not gone as planned.

The funny thing is that if they could actually get West rested and Chandler and CP3 back healthy, they could be the most dangerous team in the playoffs.

moving guys would be a panic move, but i certainly wouldn't be opposed to taking advantage of that.

i guess we would have to deal Scal (maybe a buyout), Sam (who would be released) and one of JR or Walker to get him.

What about the rights the Erden?

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

They thought that piece was Posey and were willing to over-pay to get him.  I think they have had some injuries but they do not appear to have gotten better.

They have had significant injuries (some lingering) and some less than top notch play from key players (Chandler and Peja). They also miss the energy from Pargo....

Honestly, they should just sit tight.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The Hornets need to get rid of Scott at coach.  It seems like hes lost the team, much like he did in NJ.
Greg

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I'd make a deal for him a heartbeat, the 4th years be [dang]ed.  The C's need help this year and there might not be anything worth playing for 3 years from now. 
And this is why I'm glad Danny is the GM and not any of us.  Exhibit 1.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'd love to see something like that but include maybe Walker or BBD and get Wright in return...add some athleticism and all round basketballness.