Author Topic: PHX Fire Sale  (Read 10842 times)

PHX Fire Sale
« on: February 07, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Sounds like it's on. Don't think we have enough assets or salary to make much of a push for either Amare or Shaq (see below), but I wonder if Grant Hill might be available for talent or picks.

Here was my Amare attempt (failed):

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=138~3429~3019~2018~3023~1021~1727&teams=21~21~21~21~21~21~2&te=&cash=

I think Amare's and Barbosa are on the Knicks next week, and Steph is a FA.

Here's my Hill trade idea:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3429~3023~336&teams=21~21~2&te=&cash=21:2

You can mix and match young guys in the deal. Maybe it's Baby instead of Leon. Maybe it's POB instead of either of them (just send em a bunch of cash, that outta do it for Giddens and POB). Maybe there's a pick in there -- tho i think we should be keeping whatever 2nd rounders we have to fill out our roster with cheap, flexible contracts as our salary siutation starts to open up for 2010.

Thoughts?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: PHX Fire Sale
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I like Hill, and I'd definitely target him in the off-season.  However, I don't think I'd give up Leon for him. 

I'd do something like POB + Sam + cash, though, with the understanding that Sam would be cut and could rejoin our team either as a player or coach.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think using Sam is pretty much the key for any type of move that we might be able to make. I think he has a trade restriction in which he has to OK a trade, so I think some level of understanding of his role in the trade will be made. I don't think he'd allow himself to be traded if he's not had some sort of plan for returning.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I like Hill, and I'd definitely target him in the off-season.  However, I don't think I'd give up Leon for him. 

I'd do something like POB + Sam + cash, though, with the understanding that Sam would be cut and could rejoin our team either as a player or coach.
I love Grant Hill, but I don't think he can help us now or in the future. Our need now seems to be showing itself as definitely a need for quality length and that's not Hill. I think we can do many things within the current roster to take care of the pg stuff, but our only hope for length on the roster is Scals. I believe he could guard a guy like Gasol if he can keep him away from the basket. Odom, with his quickness could be a problem, but Scal might be able to handle that. We also need a defender for Lebron. Pierce is the best guy for this now, but it will take away his offense. Someone with height, who could cover Lebron would be nice.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:22:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I love Grant Hill, but I don't think he can help us now or in the future. Our need now seems to be showing itself as definitely a need for quality length and that's not Hill. I think we can do many things within the current roster to take care of the pg stuff, but our only hope for length on the roster is Scals. I believe he could guard a guy like Gasol if he can keep him away from the basket. Odom, with his quickness could be a problem, but Scal might be able to handle that. We also need a defender for Lebron. Pierce is the best guy for this now, but it will take away his offense. Someone with height, who could cover Lebron would be nice.

I'm sorry but I would do that deal in a heart beat. 

Have Hill helps fix the backup PG issue as he can be the PG on offense from either the SG or SF spot.  It would free up House from those duties allowing him to be just the shooter he is.

Losing Powe hurts.  They would have to find another big man. 

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I would give up Leon for him without even thinking twice.  That also goes for Baby, Pruitt, Giddens.  I would think twice about Walker, but I would probably do it.

Hill is pretty much exactly what this team needs on the wing.  He may not be a shutdown defender, but he can defend...but he is also an excellent offensive player, and a leader. 

Unfortunately, I really doubt they will be looking to dump Hill.  They are looking to get rid of their big contracts, and he is probably the biggest bargain they have on their roster.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I would give up Powe, Pruitt and Giddens.  I would not give up Walker just yet.  If we can replace pruitt with marbury that would be cool.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22

I'm sorry but I would do that deal in a heart beat. 

Have Hill helps fix the backup PG issue as he can be the PG on offense from either the SG or SF spot.  It would free up House from those duties allowing him to be just the shooter he is.

Losing Powe hurts.  They would have to find another big man. 
But Ray, Paul and Eddie can do the backup pg stuff. We don't need Hill for that. Unless we get a quality big we need Powe under the basket. Hill can't do what Powe does. He could replace TA, but I don't know Hill's age, salary, health situation to  know if a deal can be done. If he's a FA after this season and we could get him for minimum salary that would be great.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 11:19:28 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not comfortable relying on BBD and Scal as our only backup big men.  Again, I'd be happy with Hill on this team, but I don't think we can afford to further weaken the big man position to add a 36 year old small forward.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 11:32:01 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm not comfortable relying on BBD and Scal as our only backup big men.  Again, I'd be happy with Hill on this team, but I don't think we can afford to further weaken the big man position to add a 36 year old small forward.

Though I don't think the C's end up with Hill, Powe is a small price to pay in my book.  This team really doesn't have room for both him and Baby.  I really don't see a place for both of them come playoff time (or even when Scal returns).  It would hurt the C's depth-wise if someone got hurt, but I think you take that risk if you can pick up someone like Grant Hill. 

Not only can he run an offense (as someone said above), he can also create his own shot, which would really add a new dimension to the bench.  It would allow the C's to get away with those 1 superstar + 4 bench players lineups for a lot longer. 

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

OK, yeah, it would require another shoe to drop.  But if we have Hill, I think we would be in a much better position to go after just another body as a big man, rather than shooting for someone who can be more than a 10th man.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'd LOVE to have Hill, but we can't afford to move Powe or Baby until Danny finally lands a legitimate backup 5 - which again underscores the folly of the time wasted on POB.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

agreed...i'd rather trade BBD than Powe - i trust him more.  but these "robbing peter to pay paul" trades only leave gaping holes elsewhere...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Successful Trade Scenario
Trade ID #4980516

Phoenix Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -2.4 ppg, +4.3 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

Incoming Players
  Tony Allen
6-4 SG from Oklahoma State
7.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.3 apg in 19.1 minutes 
  Brian Scalabrine
6-9 PF from USC
3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.3 minutes 
  Kendrick Perkins
6-10 C from Clifton J. Ozen (HS)
8.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 28.6 minutes 

Outgoing Players
  Jared Dudley
6-7 SF from Boston College
5.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 21.4 minutes
  Robin Lopez
7-0 C from Stanford
3.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.8 minutes
  Leandro Barbosa
6-3 PG from Brazil (Foreign)
12.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.8 apg in 22.6 minutes

Boston Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +2.4 ppg, -4.3 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

Incoming Players
  Jared Dudley
6-7 SF from Boston College
5.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 21.4 minutes 
  Robin Lopez
7-0 C from Stanford
3.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.8 minutes 
  Leandro Barbosa
6-3 PG from Brazil (Foreign)
12.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.8 apg in 22.6 minutes 
Outgoing Players
  Tony Allen
6-4 SG from Oklahoma State
7.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.3 apg in 19.1 minutes
  Brian Scalabrine
6-9 PF from USC
3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.3 minutes
  Kendrick Perkins
6-10 C from Clifton J. Ozen (HS)
8.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 28.6 minutes

Just tossing this out there, but if we could find a way to get another big man to somehow replace Perk (as much as I love him)  I think this vould help us. 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 12:09:28 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
SOLD! ainge what r waiting on? lets get him, I know he would like to win a championship with us. So let KG call him and persuade him. Kerr won't have many options. TA 4 Grant works.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=336~2367&teams=2~21&te=&cash=