Author Topic: Overlooking the Houston Rockets?  (Read 2290 times)

Overlooking the Houston Rockets?
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know they have never gotten out of the 1st round with TMac and Yao, but I really think everyone is overlooking this team as a title contender . If they can ever stay healthy, and I know it is somewhat of a big IF , I think they have as legit a shot of coming out of the west as any other teams

The reason I think they can beat LA is because

1) They have 2 guys in Shane Battier and Ron Artest who are great defenders , so they would have a great defender on Kobe all game long.

2) They have a guy in TMAC who can go off for 40 on any given night. I know he has never been out of the 1st round, but look how long it too KG to get out of the 1st round , I just think sooner or later it will happen, he is to talented of a player WHEN HEALTHY ,so I am hoping he stays healthy for the playoffs

3) They have toughness in the Post with Scola and Ron Artest who can play PF at times.

4) They have one of the best centers in the league that has the length to guard Pau Gasol and the skill on offense to make Gasol work on both sides of the ball to tire him out . They also have Dikembe Mutumbo , I know he is not near what he used to be, but he can still give 10- 15 minutes of top notch Defense and Shot blocking while Yao is out.

5) They have a pretty strong bench with Landry who can provide scoring and rebounding , Ron Artest who can do everything and Arron Brooks who provides outside shooting and blazing speed.

6) And finally they have a VERY good head coach in Rick Adlemen who has been to the playoffs many times .

Anyways I just think a lot of people are overlooking this team, what do you guys think ? can they be contenders ???
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:28:21 PM by rondohondo »

Re: overlooking the Houston Rockets?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:12:51 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I say no...they dont have any chemistry between there big 3, always injured, and it takes a season full of commitment to win a championship..  they dont deserve it and hope they fail in the 1st round again, and they probably will
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I've said it in the past and I'll say it again, I think the Houston Rockets are the only team in the West that are capable of beating a healthy and in-form Lakers team in the playoffs this season.

And if the Lakers aren't healthy, the Rockets might be the frontrunner in the West.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I like the Rockets and I was excited about them before the season started. They are being overlooked like you said because they can't stay healthy. McGrady/Artest/Battier/Yao have only played a handful of games together. The line-ups are always changing so even if they're all healthy by the play-offs will they have the chemistry to make some noise? I wonder.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
I've said it in the past and I'll say it again, I think the Houston Rockets are the only team in the West that are capable of beating a healthy and in-form Lakers team in the playoffs this season.

And if the Lakers aren't healthy, the Rockets might be the frontrunner in the West.

I think the Jazz could make a run at it.  Having a couple of big men that can shoot the ball and (in my opinion) the best point guard in the game when he's healthy can give a team a shot against anybody.  And I haven't even mentioned AK47 or Millsap.  The team is talented and deep, and I think they could scare anybody.

Re: Overlooking the Houston Rockets?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 10:30:20 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I guess the Jazz could be a dark horse. They are very disciplined and their record is impressive considering how many injuries they've had this season.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Until they win in the playoff, they are not a real threat. 

And let's be honest, what is the chance they are actually healthy at that point?

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:03:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This team has waaaaaaaay too many "what-ifs" to equal real contender status.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team