Author Topic: Stern has Reached the Pinnacle of Selling Out.  (Read 4884 times)

Stern has Reached the Pinnacle of Selling Out.
« on: February 06, 2009, 04:19:47 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
The constant NBA Cares plugs, a Where ____ Happens ad 3 times per commercial break, sponsoring every thinkable stat, phrase, or interview on broadcasts, banners and signs draped over every arena.... fine.  Whatever. 

But you do not mess with someone's past time.

The all star break will not feature a game of H-O-R-S-E as it turns out.... it will feature an old fashioned game of G-E-I-C-O.   ???

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/firstcuts/entry/view/17092/nba_players_to_play_g-e-i-c-o_not_h-o-r-s-e

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Stern has Reached the Pinnacle of Selling Out.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The constant NBA Cares plugs, a Where ____ Happens ad 3 times per commercial break, sponsoring every thinkable stat, phrase, or interview on broadcasts, banners and signs draped over every arena.... fine.  Whatever. 

The all star break will not feature a game of H-O-R-S-E as it turns out.... it will feature an old fashioned game of G-E-I-C-O.   ???

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/firstcuts/entry/view/17092/nba_players_to_play_g-e-i-c-o_not_h-o-r-s-e

Bird and Magic's commercials aside, I wouldn't even watch this to satisfy my curiosity about whether it will be mildly or excruciatingly boring. Do you think they'll get 10-15 tries at each shot like in the slam dunk contest?

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:28:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wow.  How soon until we see ads on the uniforms?  "The Disney Magic".  "The Ford Pistons".

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:29:19 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I thought this was going to be a terrible conspiracy theorist thread, that is absolutely ridiculous. And a true shame.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Also, does this mean the losers don't have to make the horse sound?

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Wow.  How soon until we see ads on the uniforms?  "The Disney Magic".  "The Ford Pistons".

"Irish Springs Celtics"?

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Your avatar and the words below it are more
relevant than ever. David J. Stern would
sell his soul to the Devil at the right price.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Maybe one of them can do something really cool using that GEICO gecko?! He could stand there at the top of the backboard and pass the ball to the guys or something?!

What?! My wife just told me he's not real... I'm shattered.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
To be fair, from everything I read, this seems to be a TNT event, rather than a true NBA one. 

Anyways, I won't have much of an opinion on this until I find out who is participating.  If someone from the group of Steve Nash, Gilbert Arenas (I know he is injured), Kevin Love, or Kobe Bryant is not involved, then I think it will be a big waste of time.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I though you were kidding. I don't know if Stern is to blame, but it does make me ill. Isn't all these corperate bowls enough.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
To be fair, from everything I read, this seems to be a TNT event, rather than a true NBA one. 

Even if that's so, the league has to sign off on these things, and they apparently did.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 04:56:38 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Oh my God this is incredibly lame. How can you expect anyone to take this seriously?

All kidding aside I would take this any day, it works in soccer, you actually get to watch the game and not commercials every 2 seconds. Yes soccer is set up with two 45 minute halves, but if we had this in the NBA and especially the NFL, it would be a lot more fun to watch. The national NBA games have such long commercials, and the NFL is getting harder and harder to watch with hours and hours of commercials per game. I'd take this in a second if it meant less commercials, but knowing Stern he would take the ads on uniforms and somehow increase commercial time even more.

Once the TV timeout came around it was a dark day for sports, who cares about the flow of the game, we gotta get some ads in here!!!

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Right. Like Ford could pay for something like that. Maybe the auto makers could pool their money and get something on a Major League Lacrosse or arena football uniform.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I thought this was about officiating.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

I always feel like........someone is watchin me!
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!