Author Topic: If Bogans goes to MIL for Lue, should we trade for him?  (Read 9697 times)

Re: If Bogans goes to MIL for Lue, should we trade for him?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The only good thing Bogans has ever done is to punch out Joe Forte when they were both at DeMatha. There is NO WAY Bogans is an upgrade over TA, or even Pruitt.

And POB is showing improvement.  Keep him.

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not into that deal.

Move a young, athletic swingman with potential and our current backup center for yet another wing player?  Why?  It's not like Bogans is going to fill a current hole that we have, we're giving away a decent prospect and a legit 7-foot center that can come off the bench if needed.  you may not be enthused with either Giddens or POB but I wouldn't move either one for Bogans, nevermind both.

If you had a second part to this deal where we also upgrade the backup center, that would be of interest.

A legit 7-foot center?  The only thing that word legit describes is his actual height.  If we ever NEED POB off the bench in the playoffs, we are in big trouble.  I can't think of any situation in a playoff game that we'd need to use POB instead of Baby, Powe, or Scal (or player to be acquired later).  Might as well throw in a guy I saw at the bank yesterday who looked legitimately 7 feet tall.
Legit as in he's 7-foot and can play center if needed.  granted, there are currently options ahead of him on the bench but he's there if needed--as was the case recently.  Moving him for Bogans gains the C's nothing that resolves this issue which is what happens to be their primary weakness.

I'm not saying he's the best option they have nor that an upgrade isn't desirable but the C's need an upgrade over POB more than they need yet another wing.  

As for Wide Load saying Bogans makes TA more tradeable--Why?  What are you hoping to gain by moving TA?  He's not going to net you a center that's an upgrade over POB.  As for roster space for signing someone--they already have that.  It's called Sam retiring/being cut.  To add to that thought-->if someone was out there already worth signing that would help and be affordable, they'd be signed already.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 01:30:37 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The only good thing Bogans has ever done is to punch out Joe Forte when they were both at DeMatha. There is NO WAY Bogans is an upgrade over TA, or even Pruitt.

Yup.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 01:31:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

no point in comparing him to pruitt, they don't play the same position. and tony allen couldn't hit a shot outside 3 feet if it walked up and smacked him in the face.

do we have a back-up 3 on the team? who is it? bill walker?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

no point in comparing him to pruitt, they don't play the same position. and tony allen couldn't hit a shot outside 3 feet if it walked up and smacked him in the face.

Right now, the 3's behind PP are (in no particular order): Ray, TA, Scal, Walker, Giddens (when on the roster).  Enough depth there--Bogans isn't that much of an upgrade if he's one at all.  Pressing need is back up center. 

original trade proposal isn't going to help the C's. 

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 03:58:55 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
There's a report about this potential swap in the NY Daily News today, and frankly it makes sense for both teams. But with Bogut and Redd out, would MIL be interested in looking towards the future? Maybe Giddens and POB for Bogans? It'd save them a few hundred thousand this year (a factor, with Kohl talking about selling the team), and Giddens could get some PT with them.

I'd prefer not to hear how aweful and worthless Giddens is please. Bogans is a limited player who could fill a role on a contender, but isn't worth much to a developing team on the remainder of a one year deal.

Could be an interest addition for some minutes at the 2/3 if needed. And if we meet ORL in the playoffs, he'd prob be motivated to step up.

He barely plays in Orlando and just got traded for Tyrone Lue.  That should tell you enough.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
There's a report about this potential swap in the NY Daily News today, and frankly it makes sense for both teams. But with Bogut and Redd out, would MIL be interested in looking towards the future? Maybe Giddens and POB for Bogans? It'd save them a few hundred thousand this year (a factor, with Kohl talking about selling the team), and Giddens could get some PT with them.

I'd prefer not to hear how aweful and worthless Giddens is please. Bogans is a limited player who could fill a role on a contender, but isn't worth much to a developing team on the remainder of a one year deal.

Could be an interest addition for some minutes at the 2/3 if needed. And if we meet ORL in the playoffs, he'd prob be motivated to step up.

He barely plays in Orlando and just got traded for Tyrone Lue.  That should tell you enough.

he was the starter last year.  They added Pietrus and the rookie Lee.  They are finding minutes for Reddick.  And the Magic are now desperate for another PG. 

He is an upgrade over TA for the needs of this team.  He plays defense and can hit the outside shot. 

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Right now, the 3's behind PP are (in no particular order): Ray, TA, Scal, Walker, Giddens (when on the roster).  Enough depth there--Bogans isn't that much of an upgrade if he's one at all.  Pressing need is back up center. 

original trade proposal isn't going to help the C's. 

i don't think you can count a starter as your backup 3, plus when Ray is moved over to the 3 (ie when Eddie plays the SG spot) he's playing out of position....

all of our theoretical backup 3s are not really 3s.....i agree with the other poster that we really have no backup three. to me that is the spot i would focus on (although i would still be prodding PJ to come back too)...

but Bogans fits the same category as TA, Walker, Giddens, etc...SGs that could potentially play the 3. I really don't see any big upgrade by bringing in Bogans (I'd rather give the time to TA and Walker)

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The SF spot is fine as it is. We're not losing games because of undersized small forwards.

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 04:47:29 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
The SF spot is fine as it is. We're not losing games because of undersized small forwards.

i'm more worried about the playoffs than the regular season and i miss having a small ball option....

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

i'm more worried about the playoffs than the regular season and i miss having a small ball option....

The lack of small ball is not because of our SF situation, but because of our PF situation, and with Scal getting some minutes, that's as small ball as we're going to get. Anyways, playoffs or not, SF is not a position I'm worried about. I'm fine with TA, Pierce, and Ray getting some minutes there. Our biggest test will be LeBron, and I'm quite comfortable with TA against him (as comfortable as you can get). Our big man rotation is really good, and that's our main weapon against LeBron. To me, Perk was the vital portion of our defense against LeBron last summer. We always put 3 people between James and the basket.

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
hard to believe anyone would resist trading guys who don't play for someone who can help now. wanna keep a few doods based on potential? keep pruitt and walker.

bogans doesn't need to replace TA. they are very different players. but Bogans could DEFINITELY win minutes at the 3 on this team. remember how tired Paul gets guarding LeBron? what if TA gets injured? he's an excellent insurance policy on a team built to win now.

by the way, are there restrictions on if and when he can be traded again? only that he can't be traded back to orlando, and can't be traded in combination with anyone else, correct?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

ridiculous. posey barely played for riley for a while on an aweful team because his body fat % was too high. think he's good enough for the Cs?

our bench is not too good to consider anyone right now who plays tough defense and can hit the 3 -- sorry bro.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I started a thread about him a few days ago, but Bonzi Wells would be perfect, a better fit than Bogans, imo.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson