Author Topic: If Bogans goes to MIL for Lue, should we trade for him?  (Read 9631 times)

If Bogans goes to MIL for Lue, should we trade for him?
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:57:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
There's a report about this potential swap in the NY Daily News today, and frankly it makes sense for both teams. But with Bogut and Redd out, would MIL be interested in looking towards the future? Maybe Giddens and POB for Bogans? It'd save them a few hundred thousand this year (a factor, with Kohl talking about selling the team), and Giddens could get some PT with them.

I'd prefer not to hear how aweful and worthless Giddens is please. Bogans is a limited player who could fill a role on a contender, but isn't worth much to a developing team on the remainder of a one year deal.

Could be an interest addition for some minutes at the 2/3 if needed. And if we meet ORL in the playoffs, he'd prob be motivated to step up.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: If Bogans goes to MIL for Lue, should we trade for him?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Well Orlando is suddenly in need of a PG with Nelson going down so I don't know why they would do that deal with us. I could see Orlando making that trade with Mil.  The Bucks could use another swingman with Redd being hurt. 

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:32:09 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Well Orlando is suddenly in need of a PG with Nelson going down so I don't know why they would do that deal with us. I could see Orlando making that trade with Mil.  The Bucks could use another swingman with Redd being hurt. 

no no. the deal is: bogans goes to the bucks for lue. after that, the bucks turn around and send bogans to us for giddens and POB, or the like.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:04:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not into that deal.

Move a young, athletic swingman with potential and our current backup center for yet another wing player?  Why?  It's not like Bogans is going to fill a current hole that we have, we're giving away a decent prospect and a legit 7-foot center that can come off the bench if needed.  you may not be enthused with either Giddens or POB but I wouldn't move either one for Bogans, nevermind both.

If you had a second part to this deal where we also upgrade the backup center, that would be of interest.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like the deal.  Gives the Celtics a guy that can play defense and hit outside shots off the bench. 

p.s. Walker or another deal would have to be included to make the numbers work. 

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't like it.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:22:10 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'm not into that deal.

Move a young, athletic swingman with potential and our current backup center for yet another wing player?  Why?  It's not like Bogans is going to fill a current hole that we have, we're giving away a decent prospect and a legit 7-foot center that can come off the bench if needed.  you may not be enthused with either Giddens or POB but I wouldn't move either one for Bogans, nevermind both.

If you had a second part to this deal where we also upgrade the backup center, that would be of interest.

POB isn't our back-up center. he's our 15th man and doesn't play. giddens doesn't pl;ay either, and this is a team built to win now. think he's going to be great in 4 years? good times, sign him back when he is.

i agree you use the roster spot created to bring someone in at the C position. i still say Courtney Sims has more immediate potential for this team than OB. But get who you can: PJ, Zo, Joe Smith, etc...

Bogans would fill a need on this team. He can defend the 2 and 3 and is a solid outside shooter. Our current back-up wings can do one but not the other, with the exception of Pruitt who is more of a combo guard and less experienced.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I like the deal.  Gives the Celtics a guy that can play defense and hit outside shots off the bench. 

p.s. Walker or another deal would have to be included to make the numbers work. 

i noticed that on your PS. you figure out the small print but these are the basics of the deal. i don't include walker in this, not worth losing him in the process.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Bogans isn't an upgrade from TA in my opinion.  And I'd rather get Redick.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 11:32:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

He is a better fit.  A little bigger and a better outside shooter. 

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not into that deal.

POB isn't our back-up center. he's our 15th man and doesn't play. giddens doesn't pl;ay either, and this is a team built to win now. think he's going to be great in 4 years? good times, sign him back when he is.

i agree you use the roster spot created to bring someone in at the C position. i still say Courtney Sims has more immediate potential for this team than OB. But get who you can: PJ, Zo, Joe Smith, etc...

Bogans would fill a need on this team. He can defend the 2 and 3 and is a solid outside shooter. Our current back-up wings can do one but not the other, with the exception of Pruitt who is more of a combo guard and less experienced.
Bogans doesn't play center --> I would not make the trade to get rid of someone that can play the Center position for yet another wing.  The C's are thin at the 4/5, not the 2/3.  Move POB and that leaves Perk as the only legit center.  Garnett's tall enough but is a true PF.  Powe and BBD will give it their best but they're undersized as PF's, nevermind as centers.  You can question the skills or work ethic but the guy does have the size and has recently filled in recently for brief stints.  Perk goes down with another shoulder injury longterm, the C's are screwed without having that backup center.  

If POB is used in a trade, it needs to bring back an upgrade at center.  

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'm not into that deal.

Bogans doesn't play center --> I would not make the trade to get rid of someone that can play the Center position for yet another wing.  The C's are thin at the 4/5, not the 2/3.  Move POB and that leaves Perk as the only legit center.  Garnett's tall enough but is a true PF.  Powe and BBD will give it their best but they're undersized as PF's, nevermind as centers.  You can question the skills or work ethic but the guy does have the size and has recently filled in recently for brief stints.  Perk goes down with another shoulder injury longterm, the C's are screwed without having that backup center.  

If POB is used in a trade, it needs to bring back an upgrade at center.  

POB isn't going to bring back a big man that is going to impact the Celtics bench.

If they can trade him to get any type of impact on the bench, then do it.   Use other pieces to find an big man that can impact the bench.

If they add Bogans they do a couple of things. 

1) they make it easier to trade TA
2) they create roster spaces to sign someone

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 12:23:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I agree with slam: frontcourt help is what the team needs most.

If Bogans gets bought out by the Bucks, I'd consider bringing him in (at Cassell's expense), but that's about it.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm not into that deal.

A legit 7-foot center?  The only thing that word legit describes is his actual height.  If we ever NEED POB off the bench in the playoffs, we are in big trouble.  I can't think of any situation in a playoff game that we'd need to use POB instead of Baby, Powe, or Scal (or player to be acquired later).  Might as well throw in a guy I saw at the bank yesterday who looked legitimately 7 feet tall.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 01:15:11 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

back to reality people. you can't have him, so forget it. i'm talking about a scenario which could actually happen.

by the way, i didn't include POB in the trade because i imagine MIL (or anyone else) wants him. he's salary filler. he's not worth anything to anybody but an expiring contract with an option for next year if shows a pulse. use the roster spot he alleviates on someone who might be useful.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)