Author Topic: Should James go for 62?  (Read 17494 times)

Re: Should James go for 62?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I can't believe there is still a debate as to whether Lebron has surpassed Kobe or not. Lebron surpassed him last season.

Lebron is a better scorer, passer and rebounder - and is certainly  closing the gap defensively. Lebron's jump shot isn't as consistent as Kobe's - but who cares, if Lebron is a better offensive player overall? Lebron, with a significantly weaker supporting cast, pushed a championship team to the limit last season while Kobe, with a superior one, was thoroughly shut down. What else needs to be said?

Lebron has a vastly inferior supporting cast that has also suffered more injuries this season and STILL has the same record as the Lakers. Consider who the Cavs second best player and consider the same for the Lakers. Gasol was already an All-Star before the Lakers and Mo just became one this season.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Larry wouldn't even let his own TEAMMATE keep a scoring record for longer than a game.  Never mind what he would've done if he played a game after Magic broke a scoring record.

Didn't McHale keep the record for 2 or 3 games?

Yeah you're right, the games were 9 days apart.  I embellish a little when I get excited haha.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Anyone else confused as to why people gush over kobes 61 being better than MJ's performances in MSG? first of all, thats a joke, secondly these arent exactly the 90's Knicks.

That being said,
Lebron James already has a performance at MSG that id take over kobes 61 pt performace anyday as it is that noone has brought up

50 pts 10 assists and 8 rebounds, Am i crazy to think this is much better than 61/3/0???
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTgKuM-0lHY
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:58:41 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I can't believe there is still a debate as to whether Lebron has surpassed Kobe or not. Lebron surpassed him last season.

Lebron is a better scorer, passer and rebounder - and is certainly  closing the gap defensively. Lebron's jump shot isn't as consistent as Kobe's - but who cares, if Lebron is a better offensive player overall? Lebron, with a significantly weaker supporting cast, pushed a championship team to the limit last season while Kobe, with a superior one, was thoroughly shut down. What else needs to be said?

Lebron has a vastly inferior supporting cast that has also suffered more injuries this season and STILL has the same record as the Lakers. Consider who the Cavs second best player and consider the same for the Lakers. Gasol was already an All-Star before the Lakers and Mo just became one this season.

Mo's an all-star?

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 02:59:51 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

You may think I don't know what I'm talking about, but Rick Barry?  If you can't believe how Rick frickin Barry thinks Kobe is better, I don't know what to tell you.  Personally, I don't know why people continue to gush over a player who has done NOTHING except run people over, travel, get media hype, be a general Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. in interviews, etc.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I'm going to attempt to refute this comment.  Its hard to judge supporting casts. Better players do not necessarily mean a better supporting cast.  The better supporting cast has to be constructed wisely.  For instance, who had the better supporting cast in 2004?  The Lakers around Kobe or the Pistons around Rip Hamilton?  Kobe's team had the better players around him, but was it a better supporting cast?  And does that make Rip better than Kobe because he won with inferior players around him?  No, his team just had better chemistry.

So, I would say that just because Kobe had better players around him, doesn't necessarily mean he had a better supporting cast.  Also, you cannot take a series against 1 team as the defining indicator on a team's ability.  Sure, Cleveland performed better against the celts than the lakers.  But LAL also beat the spurs 4-1 in the WCF, would cleveland have done the same?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Two ways to look at LeBron James's game in New York tonight. 

One, he plays a team game, and tries to get the win, playing a "standard" game.

Two:  He says, this is my league, I'm going for 62.

Personally, I think he should make a statment and take 35 shots, and 20 free throws, get his 62, and say, I'm the best player in the world.  This is my League.

What are your thoughts?

He can do either option and the cavs still win by double digits, so might as well go for 62

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 03:51:38 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
What time did Kobe come out of the game?  I'm pretty sure he came out right when he set the record which disallowed him to make it higher?  Does James have to get it by that time for credibility?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Anyone else confused as to why people gush over kobes 61 being better than MJ's performances in MSG? first of all, thats a joke, secondly these arent exactly the 90's Knicks.

That being said,
Lebron James already has a performance at MSG that id take over kobes 61 pt performace anyday as it is that noone has brought up

50 pts 10 assists and 8 rebounds, Am i crazy to think this is much better than 61/3/0???
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTgKuM-0lHY

Give it up.  No one is saying that Kobe's performance was better than MJ's.  And if they are, they're delusional.  But trying to say that Kobe's feat was nothing is just plain ignorant.  And it's not like this is the first time he's gone off for an incredible scoring amount.  He dropped 81 in a game before.  And even more impressive, he scored 62 through 3 quarters in a game and sat out the 4th quarter.  For someone that gets a rap about being a selfish player compared to LeBron, I think that says something about him.

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »

• Don Chaney
Im not saying its nothing, its the most points scored at MSG by an individual player, thats something, round of applause.yippeee...still take 50/10/8 over kobes line..but unlike most casual fans I realize there more to basketball than scoring, and kobe didnt do anything other than score that night... yay for kobe
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I realize that we're talking about some of the greatest athletes on the planet, but I don't believe LeBron or Kobe or even MJ could walk into MSG on any given night and say "I'm going to score 62 tonight" and actually do it. I might believe Bird could have done it but only because there evidence of him making predictions and following through (the Xavier McDaniel last second shot, breaking McHale's scoring mark, shooting left handed against the Blazers, etc.)

But anyhow, my point is that it's not like LeBron or Kobe could score 60 points any old night just because they wanted to. Sure, when one of those guys gets into that magical "zone," anything is possible (e.g., Kobe's 61 the other night). But you can't always control when you're going to be in the "zone" and you certainly can't predict it in advance. And also since D'Antoni has surely instilled at least a little pride in his players, there's no way they are going to let him score 62 now that the media is talking about it.

But in the end, I think LeBron's too smart to try for the 62. He'll get 15 assists and beat the Knicks by double digits and be all smiles after the game.

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »

• Don Chaney
It's clear the NBA wants him to go for 62, the top story over at NBA.com is "LeBron gets crack at Kobes MSG record" ...haha are you serious?  ::) ..hes going there to win a ball game, not to "one up" kobe ...what is kobe gonna get the mvp if james cant score 62?

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Number one story on NBA.com should be, "Can LeCrabDribble be so selfish and stupid as to even have Kobe the Rapist's record on his mind when his team is going neck and neck with the defending champs for home court advantage throughout the playoffs?"

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 06:48:58 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Mo's an all-star?

No, very good point. My apologies, which only goes to further my point. I assumed that if Mike Brown was coach, he'd pick Mo.

You may think I don't know what I'm talking about, but Rick Barry?  If you can't believe how Rick frickin Barry thinks Kobe is better, I don't know what to tell you.  Personally, I don't know why people continue to gush over a player who has done NOTHING except run people over, travel, get media hype, be a general **** in interviews, etc.

Really? Rick Barry says so, so it must be correct? Since when did Rick Barry become the end of all of basketball knowledge? Charles Barkley is one of the best PFs of all time - does everything he say become word of law (ie. the continuous defending of the AI and Kidd trades)

I'm going to attempt to refute this comment.  Its hard to judge supporting casts. Better players do not necessarily mean a better supporting cast.  The better supporting cast has to be constructed wisely.  For instance, who had the better supporting cast in 2004?  The Lakers around Kobe or the Pistons around Rip Hamilton?  Kobe's team had the better players around him, but was it a better supporting cast?  And does that make Rip better than Kobe because he won with inferior players around him?  No, his team just had better chemistry.

So, I would say that just because Kobe had better players around him, doesn't necessarily mean he had a better supporting cast.  Also, you cannot take a series against 1 team as the defining indicator on a team's ability.  Sure, Cleveland performed better against the celts than the lakers.  But LAL also beat the spurs 4-1 in the WCF, would cleveland have done the same?

All very good points. However, I am not saying Kobe is inferior to Lebron simply because he did worse against the Celtics than Lebron. I am saying Lebron is a better player because he is simply better in almost every facet of the game. The playoff performance is a small part of the bigger picture. Now, would Cleveland have beat the Spurs 4-1? I don't know. We have no idea. It is a hypothetical. We only have the facts against us that Lebron was able to push the C's to 7 games, including at least one epic performance, while Kobe was not able to do much, if anything, against the C's defense.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Larry wouldn't even let his own TEAMMATE keep a scoring record for longer than a game.  Never mind what he would've done if he played a game after Magic broke a scoring record.

Go for 65.  Not as hard or ridiculous as it sounds against the Knicks.

Yep, I was gonna cite to Larry, too.  Some guys have that ultra-competitive instinct.  Larry did, Michael did.  I'm not sure if Lebron is there yet.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions