Author Topic: Should James go for 62?  (Read 17581 times)

Should James go for 62?
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
Two ways to look at LeBron James's game in New York tonight. 

One, he plays a team game, and tries to get the win, playing a "standard" game.

Two:  He says, this is my league, I'm going for 62.

Personally, I think he should make a statment and take 35 shots, and 20 free throws, get his 62, and say, I'm the best player in the world.  This is my League.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Should James go for 62?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Personally, I think he should make a statment and take 35 shots, and 20 free throws, get his 62, and say, I'm the best player in the world.  This is my League.

What are your thoughts?
He's certainly capable of it if he's feeling it.   Like last month where he had 34 points and 14 assists.   If he hadn't caused those other 28+ points with his 14 assists he would have had 62 points by himself.   ;)

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think he will do that, but I think he could do that if he wanted to.  Especially against the Knicks.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
I bet Michael Jordan wouldn't have let it slide by like "any other game"  In my opinion, it is that attitude that made Michael one of the best ever.  I'm not sure James has that desire yet.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't think LeBron is a volume scorer the same way that Kobe is.  LeBron's jumpshot is still too inconsistent, so to put up a ton of points he'll generally need to drive a lot, which means taking a lot of contact that isn't always called.  And LeBron going 1 on 3 for long stretches of the game will usually hurt the Cavs.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
If scoring 62 would help Lebron earn even more money then he'd do it.  Remember, he said he wanted to be the richest athlete in the world.  Not the best, but the richest. ::)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
If scoring 62 would help Lebron earn even more money then he'd do it.  Remember, he said he wanted to be the richest athlete in the world.  Not the best, but the richest. ::)

Agree completely.  I think his 'people' (agents, business managers, etc.) will tell him to go for it.  What would be better publicity then toping Kobe.  The press would love it...it would better marketing for James than buying a 1 minute Superbowl Ad.

If he takes 8-12 shots first quarter, don't change the channel.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
He should go for it, yes why not..  he'll have more than 3 assists and 0 rebounds, I can pretty much guarantee you that
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What are your thoughts?

I think all he needs to do is inform the refs that he wants to score 62, and they'll make up for any shortfall with added trips to the line.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 01:51:53 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I think he'll try to go out of his way to NOT go for 62, and rack up as many assists as possible.  Because if he does try to go for it and fails, or even worse the team loses, that would reflect quite poorly on LeBron, who wants the public to think he's a team player.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If scoring 62 means neglecting his teammates' open looks and trying to win by himself, then by all means do it.  That way, the Knicks win by 15.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
He'll probably get at least 62 free throws, so anythings possible. And for one night only crab dribbles will be worth five points.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Larry wouldn't even let his own TEAMMATE keep a scoring record for longer than a game.  Never mind what he would've done if he played a game after Magic broke a scoring record.

Go for 65.  Not as hard or ridiculous as it sounds against the Knicks.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
What are your thoughts?

I think Kobe's better.  Rick Barry agrees.

Why?  Lebron has fundamental errors in his game.  He has the potential to be a lot better than he is, but he's not, either due to coaching or his own incompetence/inflated ego.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Larry wouldn't even let his own TEAMMATE keep a scoring record for longer than a game.  Never mind what he would've done if he played a game after Magic broke a scoring record.

Didn't McHale keep the record for 2 or 3 games?