Author Topic: Trade deadline predictions  (Read 17380 times)

Re: Trade deadline predictions
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Prediction: our competitors will upgrade, and we won't.  :P

(Just wanted to join the negativity vibe on the site today.)

I predict the C's will make a trade that will make 90% of the people on here say "huh??".  It will be for someone no one has really thought of, but he ends up coming in and being a crucial part of the team.

POB + Tony for Robert Swift!

Neh, he's coming in the offseason. 

Just to throw out a few names of big men who could be looked at in a trade, or potentially bought out: Jason Collins, Jarron Collins, Stromile Swift, Nesterovic, Brian Skinner, Elson.

Am I the only one who thinks Sean Williams could be had? He's New Jersey's 4th Power Forward. Or are people too afraid that there's a good reason he's dropped out of Frank's favor?

I was in favor of trying to trade for him.  But now I'm thinking we need veterans right now, not another inconsistent young player.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 01:59:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I predict the C's will make a trade that will make 90% of the people on here say "huh??".  It will be for someone no one has really thought of, but he ends up coming in and being a crucial part of the team.

This would be great if Swift could ever stay healthy.  His value must be real low now but I still think the guy can play.  When he does play his rebounds and blocks always look real nice.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Didn't that already happen?

They upgraded to the level of being our competitors...

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Neh, he's coming in the offseason. 

Just to throw out a few names of big men who could be looked at in a trade, or potentially bought out: Jason Collins, Jarron Collins, Stromile Swift, Nesterovic, Brian Skinner, Elson.

Am I the only one who thinks Sean Williams could be had? He's New Jersey's 4th Power Forward. Or are people too afraid that there's a good reason he's dropped out of Frank's favor?

I was in favor of trying to trade for him.  But now I'm thinking we need veterans right now, not another inconsistent young player.

Exactly.  He is a project at best.  He may end up being a nice player, but the chance of him ever seeing the floor for the C's this year would be incredibly small.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Someone mentioned Stromile Swift.  Doesnt he have an absurd contract??  If he doesnt, Im all for getting him.  He'd solve the backup C issue, and can provide a spark off the bench, I'd love to see him play with Rondo.  Can Swift make a jumpshot??  Its been a while since Ive watched him play.
Greg

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

This would be great if Swift could ever stay healthy.  His value must be real low now but I still think the guy can play.  When he does play his rebounds and blocks always look real nice.

Marc Gasol would be the perfect center for the Celtics. That's one savvy kid!

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Agreed. Plus, we like him better than
that other dude out in Cali  ;)

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 02:45:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

He's bigger and tougher.

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Someone mentioned Stromile Swift.  Doesnt he have an absurd contract??  If he doesnt, Im all for getting him.  He'd solve the backup C issue, and can provide a spark off the bench, I'd love to see him play with Rondo.  Can Swift make a jumpshot??  Its been a while since Ive watched him play.

He is making $6.2 million, but it is expiring this year.  So if the Nets can't trade him, I think he would be a prime candidate for a buyout, since he is not playing.  If they could save a few hundred thousand dollars, they may consider it. 

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2009, 04:00:49 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

He's bigger and tougher.

Steve Weinman had this to say about Gasol after watching him play against the Nets in New Jersey. (Link: http://www.celticsblog.com/2009/1/8/713645/fan-experience-at-izod-a-j)

Marc Gasol is the worst defender this side of Zach Randolph.  He's absolutely clueless.  The man is slow-footed and doesn't get back down the floor well in the first place, but he only compounds it by consistently losing his man and doing a miserable job defending the screen and roll.  Gasol had trouble all night figuring out when to switch and how far to go to effectively hedge on screens, and the result was open dunks galore for Brook Lopez.  Lopez went 8-for-11, mostly on uncontested finishes.  The defining image of the two centers for the evening was a second-half play on which the Nets set up their offense and found Lopez standing wide open for a dunk in the middle of the lane just as Gasol was crossing the timeline to get into the play. 

Granted it was one game, but if Steve, whose opinion I respect, thinks Gasol is, "the worst defender this side of Zach Randolph", then I want no part of him.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!