Author Topic: Trade deadline predictions  (Read 17323 times)

Trade deadline predictions
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:02:20 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Is anyone else super excited to see what happens?

Orlando - What do they do about their pg situation (or lack thereof) tinsley maybe? or will they make a run at marbury?

My prediction: Magic convince Arroyo to come back from Russia

Chicago/NY - will the Larry Hughes be dealt? the Bulls still need a post scorer... with Hughes expiring before 2010

My prediction: Hughes for Curry makes sense...

Lakers/Kings - bynum is down... now they need a big man. (stay away from Joe smith!) and the Kings want out of Brad Millers 1.5 remaining

My prediction: Odom for Brad Miller

Does anyone have a different prediction? Did I miss any teams?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Trade deadline predictions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:37:21 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
haha...the Lakers can HAVE brad miller.  he's having a decent season but i'm more scared of ronny turiaf then miller - turiaf WAS the only guy with any toughness on their front line.

I'm interested to see what will happen with Chris Bosh.  I know the liklihood of him moving is slim, but it's become almost generally accepted that he'll be bolting Toronto as soon as he gets a chance.  Considering the season they're having, i'm wondering if Colangelo will make a bold move and begin rebuilding thru a Bosh and O'Neal trade.  That current combo of players just isnt going to cut it - now or in the future.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Is anyone else super excited to see what happens?

Orlando - What do they do about their pg situation (or lack thereof) tinsley maybe? or will they make a run at marbury?

My prediction: Magic convince Arroyo to come back from Russia

Chicago/NY - will the Larry Hughes be dealt? the Bulls still need a post scorer... with Hughes expiring before 2010

My prediction: Hughes for Curry makes sense...

Lakers/Kings - bynum is down... now they need a big man. (stay away from Joe smith!) and the Kings want out of Brad Millers 1.5 remaining

My prediction: Odom for Brad Miller

Does anyone have a different prediction? Did I miss any teams?

I got the sense that the magic didn't particularly like Arroyo.  Seemed like they were always butting heads (I could be wrong, but that seems to be my memory).

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
How about Mike James and Juan Dixon to Orlando for Brian Cook and Keith Bogans?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
haha...the Lakers can HAVE brad miller.  he's having a decent season but i'm more scared of ronny turiaf then miller - turiaf WAS the only guy with any toughness on their front line.

I'm interested to see what will happen with Chris Bosh.  I know the liklihood of him moving is slim, but it's become almost generally accepted that he'll be bolting Toronto as soon as he gets a chance.  Considering the season they're having, i'm wondering if Colangelo will make a bold move and begin rebuilding thru a Bosh and O'Neal trade.  That current combo of players just isnt going to cut it - now or in the future.

Would Toronto make this move?:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1977~615~2165~3418~70~510&teams=14~14~28~28~28~28&te=&cash=
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:06:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Would Toronto make this move?:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1977~615~2165~3418~70~510&teams=14~14~28~28~28~28&te=&cash=

I'd say no.   They should just trade Bosh for Amare if they really expect him to leave. 

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think the Lakers have to do anything.  Mihm was a decent starting center for them a few years ago.  Pau can play some center.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't think the Lakers have to do anything.  Mihm was a decent starting center for them a few years ago.  Pau can play some center.

Lakers were good enough to get to the finals last year without Bynum.   And it sounds like Bynum will probably come back anyways.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I don't see the Lakers making a move out of necessity, they should be OK come playoff time. Toronto would be insane if they dealt Bosh now, he is a serious talent, and if he really wants to leave, then you trade him next year. Orlando I could very much see going after Marbury, just makes sense.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Lakers were good enough to get to the finals last year without Bynum.   And it sounds like Bynum will probably come back anyways.

I think they need Bynum back to get out of the West.  If the Spurs are healthy come playoff time, I'd put them as a favorite over a Bynum-less Lakers team.  Not having Ginobili healthy last year really hurt the Spurs, and gave the Lakers, their fans, and the media, a false sense of superiority that the Celtics mercilessly beat out of them.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:37:28 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I predict that the largest trade in history will be topped this year

for reference, here's the current largest trade...

August 2, 2005: MIAMI HEAT acquires F Antoine Walker from the BOSTON CELTICS and G Jason Williams, F James Posey and G Andre Emmett from the MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES and the draft rights to C Roberto Duenas from the NEW ORLEANS HORNETS in a five-team trade that sent G-F Eddie Jones to Memphis, F Rasual Butler to New Orleans, a 2006 second-round draft pick, a conditional second-round draft pick, F Qyntel Woods and the draft rights to Albert Miralles to Boston; The UTAH JAZZ acquired C Greg Ostertag from Memphis; Boston acquired C Curtis Borchardt from Utah and G Raul Lopez from Memphis; New Orleans acquired G Kirk Snyder from Utah.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 03:00:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

August 2, 2005: MIAMI HEAT acquires F Antoine Walker from the BOSTON CELTICS and G Jason Williams, F James Posey and G Andre Emmett from the MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES and the draft rights to C Roberto Duenas from the NEW ORLEANS HORNETS in a five-team trade that sent G-F Eddie Jones to Memphis, F Rasual Butler to New Orleans, a 2006 second-round draft pick, a conditional second-round draft pick, F Qyntel Woods and the draft rights to Albert Miralles to Boston; The UTAH JAZZ acquired C Greg Ostertag from Memphis; Boston acquired C Curtis Borchardt from Utah and G Raul Lopez from Memphis; New Orleans acquired G Kirk Snyder from Utah.
I get a sense of sarcasm there.

It may not have been the biggest but definitely helped get Miami the championship with 2 key pieces in Antoine and Posey. 

not to get sidetracked from the topic, but I don't recall who we got with those picks-->did we move them in a trade or did we move our own and use those for picking up Reed or Gomes or Powe?

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 03:24:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I get a sense of sarcasm there.

It may not have been the biggest but definitely helped get Miami the championship with 2 key pieces in Antoine and Posey. 

not to get sidetracked from the topic, but I don't recall who we got with those picks-->did we move them in a trade or did we move our own and use those for picking up Reed or Gomes or Powe?

Those draft picks were moved on to other teams, the 2006 pick to New Orleans for Dan Dickau, and the later pick to the Timberwolves in the trade that landed us Wally, Kandiman, Dwayne Jones, and their first rounder (which we sent back in the KG trade).

The picks eventually became 2006 second round pick (at #56) Edin Bavcic, and 2008 second round pick (at #31) Nikola Pekovic.

How did I find that out? By this handy little database, the creators of which should receive a Nobel Prize, knighthood, and/or sainthood:

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/Search.php

Plug in Antoine Walker for the name, and then work from there.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No way Chicago wants Curry back.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »

Offline RockinRyA