Poll

Which Free Agent would be best for Boston NEXT season?

Hedo Turkoglu - 6.8, ETO
10 (23.8%)
Allen Iverson - 21.9, URFA
2 (4.8%)
Shawn Marion - 17.1, URFA
6 (14.3%)
Ron Artest - 8.4, URFA
8 (19%)
Wally Szczerbiak - 13 , URFA
1 (2.4%)
Grant Hill - 1.9. URFA
5 (11.9%)
OTHER (but you must name 1)
10 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Affordable Free Agents for Bostons next year  (Read 13674 times)

Re: Affordable Free Agents for Bostons next year
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
As has been said many times, Rasheed would be awesome in green.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 02:42:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Turkoglu would be awesome off the bench, but it's not happening. 

Grant Hill is more likely and probably would play better defense.  His body isn't as worn down as most due to all those years on IR.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 03:02:30 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I'm pretty sure Rasheed is everyone's top choice

Ahh sarcasm. 

If not let's just say I pass with extreme prejudice.  But this is just a message board so maybe.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Ahh sarcasm. 

If not let's just say I pass with extreme prejudice.  But this is just a message board so maybe.

Actually it wasn't sarcasm.  Another thread was started a while ago and it seemed the consensus top choice was to offer Rasheed our full MLE.   It does make some sense and he'd be a pretty great backup big man... 

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Ahh sarcasm. 

Actually it wasn't sarcasm.  Another thread was started a while ago and it seemed the consensus top choice was to offer Rasheed our full MLE.   It does make some sense and he'd be a pretty great backup big man... 

Really in what sense?  A guy most think never played up to his potential and with the worst shot selection this side of Antione Walker would be get fit? I doubt it.  Boy am I glad I missed that thread.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 03:24:45 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Sheed will get more than the MLE if he wants it. He'll have to go to a noncontender, however (which includes resigning with Detroit). And yes, he would be my top choice if he can be had with the MLE.

Marion, Artest, Millsap and Kidd can get more than the MLE too.

The best of the others: Anthony Parker, Lamar Odom, Grant Hill, Jamario Moon, Aaron Gray, Jason Maxiell, Antonio McDyess, Rasho Nesterovic, Luc Mbah a Moute, Ramon Sessions, Za Za Pachulia, Gerald Green (for old times sake), Darius Miles (ditto), Kevin Ollie (future coach), Joe Smith, Bobby Jackson.  

Guys I would stay away from: Drew Gooden (headcase), Ben Gordon (gunner), Tyronn Lue (blah), Flip Murray (gunner), Jamal Magliore (finished), Adonal Foyle (finished), Antoine Walker (finished), Damon Stoudamire (finished), Steve Francis (finished), Shaun Livingston (still can't walk), JR Smith (gunner), Anthony Carter (never wins), Juwan Howard (finished), Chris Wilcox (head case),Desmond Mason (bad fit, can't shoot), Robert Swift (skinhead), Marcus Williams (slow, can't defend), Trevor Ariza (punk), Chris Mihm (finished?), Matt Barnes (punk).

The Celtics also have to deal with their own free agents: Davis and Powe, plus be prepared to match a fat offer sheet on Rondo.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
As much as I've like Rasheed's game, I think he's on a fast decline. Zaza would be an answer for a bench big, but as young and talented as he is, I would be he would want Center money(around 10 per year)Barnes is good, but I would take Grant Hill first due to experience and Yes, he seems revitalized after being in rehab for years, and Phoenix's med staff seems to work wonders on older players...Hill, Shaq, Nash
Not that Hoopshype is the most viable source, but its one place to see notes of him being a decent defender. But I go back to the point of him being a player that can play multiple positions due to his size and skill, just like Posey could. Our best bet would be to go for Hedo with the best contract, followed by offering the minimum to AI, Grant Hill, and Joe Smith.

Rondo, AI
Ray, House, Tony, Giddens
Pierce, Hedo, Hill, Bwalker
KG, Joe Smith
Perk, Scal, Pat0

With this roster, COMPLETELY STACKED, obviously dropping the team option on Pruitt, then forcing a trade anywhere with Tony Allen and Pat0, we could focus on getting a decent Center and decide on trading Scal's expiring contract(if necessary). How could you argue a roster like that. AI might not be the greatest option at the point, but all other positions besides C would be solid
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Sheed will get more than the MLE if he wants it. He'll have to go to a noncontender, however (which includes resigning with Detroit). And yes, he would be my top choice if he can be had with the MLE.

Marion, Artest, Millsap and Kidd can get more than the MLE too.

The best of the others: Anthony Parker, Lamar Odom, Grant Hill, Jamario Moon, Aaron Gray, Jason Maxiell, Antonio McDyess, Rasho Nesterovic, Luc Mbah a Moute, Ramon Sessions, Za Za Pachulia, Gerald Green (for old times sake), Darius Miles (ditto), Kevin Ollie (future coach), Joe Smith, Bobby Jackson.  

Guys I would stay away from: Drew Gooden (headcase), Ben Gordon (gunner), Tyronn Lue (blah), Flip Murray (gunner), Jamal Magliore (finished), Adonal Foyle (finished), Antoine Walker (finished), Damon Stoudamire (finished), Steve Francis (finished), Shaun Livingston (still can't walk), JR Smith (gunner), Anthony Carter (never wins), Juwan Howard (finished), Chris Wilcox (head case),Desmond Mason (bad fit, can't shoot), Robert Swift (skinhead), Marcus Williams (slow, can't defend), Trevor Ariza (punk), Chris Mihm (finished?), Matt Barnes (punk).

The Celtics also have to deal with their own free agents: Davis and Powe, plus be prepared to match a fat offer sheet on Rondo.

Of your "BEST OF OTHERS" group, I pick out Mcdyess for PF, Miles for SF, Joe Smith I've already stated, Zaza great but too much money, and Bobby Jackson would be an experienced vet that can hit the 3 better than Marbury, Cassell, and Pruitt
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I'm pretty sure Maxiell was extended by the Pistons at some point this season.

I was astounded to learn Anthony Parker is 33 years old. Will this scare off bidders, or will he look to make a payday with what could be his last contract?

The Celtics also picked up Rondo's option for 2009-10, so he's locked in at a bargain price of less than $2.7 million.

Anyone know what rights we hold on Powe and Davis? I'm under the impression we have Powe's Bird rights, but not Davis'.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I doubt anyone, we'd want, on that list would sign for that little money. I expect this summer will be a lot like last summer. :'(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
the 6'10" Turkoglu is averaging 37 minutes 17 points 5 plus rebounds and almost 5 assists starting for the Magic. i doubt we could afford him and i doubt he would want to come off the bench for us.

not too fond of your other options. i am however convinced that Jamario Moon would be the perfect 3 to come off the bench for us.

compare his rankings among small forwards with james posey, its  pretty interesting:
posey ranks 20th in rebounds/game, moon 23rd
posey ranks 17th in steals, moon 6th
posey ranks 17th in blocks, moon 5th
posey ranks 9th in fouls, moon 35th
posey ranks 8th in 3pt% (.411), moon 29th (.350)
posey averages 28+ min/game, moon 25+ min. so the numbers are roughly comparable.

by the numbers posey is a better 3 point shooter, but moon is more active on the boards, a better shot blocker and gets more steals.
posey uses his fouls well so i'm not going to hold the disparity against him, he also has that intangible chemistry thing which coaches look for.

the long and short of it is that Moon is going to be a bargain this summer, i hope danny takes a long look.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 04:21:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The number one need for the Cs in the offseason is Center.  I like the idea of Zaza Pachulia or Rasheed Wallace.  After that, I would poke around at the PFs who could maybe also play C (McDyess, Joe Smith).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 04:22:14 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

The Celtics also picked up Rondo's option for 2009-10, so he's locked in at a bargain price of less than $2.7 million.

Anyone know what rights we hold on Powe and Davis? I'm under the impression we have Powe's Bird rights, but not Davis'.

Are you sure about Rondo?  Sure the Celtics can extend a qualifying offer but he's still a restricted free agent in June of 2009.  RealGM thinks so too, although they are not always right.

I believe the Celtics have "early Bird" rights on Davis and full Bird rights on Powe. For Davis, that means he can be offered up to the NBA median salary (essentially the same as the MLE), regardless of Boston's cap situation.  The can pay Powe whatever they want, up to the NBA maximum for players with his experience.

BTW, Turkoglu has a player option for 2009-2010 at 7.3 million, and he is certainly not going to decline it to play for less. He's not an option for the Celtics.

And--oh yes-- Alan Iverson will be an unrestricted free agent this June.  Any takers?  Not me, but I'm sure some team will bite and ruin their season in the process.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:28:14 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
One thing to factor in is that teams may be feeling the pinch by this summer, so a team willing to spend MLE money may be able to poach a player they normally couldn't get.

Bringing in Rasheed (if he was willing) to come off the bench would be like bringing in Walton. With a reduced roll I think he could rejuvenate and he'd compliment either Perk or KG or Powe/BBD.

I have to think we'll only keep one of BBD or Powe if we do land a guy who can play Center. 

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Are you sure about Rondo?  Sure the Celtics can extend a qualifying offer but he's still a restricted free agent in June of 2009.  RealGM thinks so too, although they are not always right.

I checked the ProSports Transaction database: they say the Celtics exercised the option on October 31, 2008.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=rondo&Team=&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&BeginYear=&BeginMonth=&BeginDay=&EndYear=&EndMonth=&EndDay=&submit=Search

Confirmed by the Celtics' website:

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press103108-rondo-option.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:21:46 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague