Poll

Which Free Agent would be best for Boston NEXT season?

Hedo Turkoglu - 6.8, ETO
10 (23.8%)
Allen Iverson - 21.9, URFA
2 (4.8%)
Shawn Marion - 17.1, URFA
6 (14.3%)
Ron Artest - 8.4, URFA
8 (19%)
Wally Szczerbiak - 13 , URFA
1 (2.4%)
Grant Hill - 1.9. URFA
5 (11.9%)
OTHER (but you must name 1)
10 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Affordable Free Agents for Bostons next year  (Read 13691 times)

Affordable Free Agents for Bostons next year
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:41:16 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The chances of our team being upgraded from what it's at now are slim to none, but with Bynum going down I'd say our biggest threat is back to Cleveland. With that said, whether or not we win with this team or not, our roster has to be upgraded to get the best value out of the current BIG 3. So I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what free agent could we reasonably get next year that would really help out our squad.
Hedo - Makes 6.8 this year, has the early termination option for next year, he might want a max contract, but I doubt any contending team could afford him or would pay that, SO, I say Boston and Ainge fork over the money and give him the MLE for 3 or 4 years b/c he's my first target for next season.
Allen Iverson - 21.9 this year, then he's free for nothing. What I mean is this is a player that is true to wanting a championship. He has definitely already made his millions, and just wants to add a ring to his bling. I think if we made larger offers to other player to reassure them, then AI might understand settling for less to come here.
Shawn Marion - 17.1 mil this year, followed by unrestricted free agency, where he'll never get the money he made before without going to a garbage team like Charlotte(very possible) I still would hope on the possibility that if we didn't get someone better, that he'd at least be offered a MLE for a couple years.
Ron Artest - 8.4 this season, and then Unrestricted. I'm sure he wanted to come to Boston this year, before heading off to a team that had trade assets. I think he could be great, but his offense is lost in Adleman's Yao/McGrady offense. He could be great with us for the MLE.
Wally Z - A whopping 13 mil this year, and then he's unemployed. Cleveland will not offer him much more than what we could or would, but for his offense I would offer him part of the the MLE, plus KG could easily entice him to join.
Grant Hill - 1.9 then free again. I don't know why he rejoined Phoenix knowing it wouldn't get any better than last year. He should give Boston his last year or 2 of good playing years before he retires, and I know he'd settle for the minimum.
With the OTHER option, please stay true to offering some other option for us, maybe one I forgot about. And I didn't post some players names like Kobe, Odom, and Ariza b/c I know they'll get max or close to max contracts from LAL
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: Affordable Free Agents for Bostons next year
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I had to go with Artest (can't believe I'm saying that) in trying to be realistic and using your list of choices.  He is the only one on that list that can actually play defense.   ::)

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Hedo already is known for decent defense, plus with his length and height, and ability to play 4 positions, he could easily excel in TEAM defense.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »

Offline eat ur wheaties

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
hedo is euro-twizz

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
Hedo already is known for decent defense, plus with his length and height, and ability to play 4 positions, he could easily excel in TEAM defense.
Who knows him for that?  How long was I out?  Pinch me.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
None of the above. We need team players and glue guys that won't use up our entire MLE.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
None of the above. We need team players and glue guys that won't use up our entire MLE.
Can I second?

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My #1 desire for this off season after we cut Patrick O'Bryant.....Zaza Pachulia. Keep the entire team togther except dump Tony Allen and POB and sign Pachulia and any one of Rodney Carney, Ime Udoka or Matt Barnes.

If Josh Childress came back to the States and Atlanta would let him sign elsewhere and go, then I'd probably throw a full MLE at him.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:00:42 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'd prefer Verajao than Hedo.  We can steal him from the Cavs.  I believe he has a player option for $6.2 mil.  Could we offer him more than that?

Other possibilities I wouldn't mind:

Tyrus Thomas (restricted - but I thought they were shopping him)
Joe Smith
McDyess
Von Wafer
Rasheed Wallace
Matt Barnes
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:02:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
can you say: rasheed wallace?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm pretty sure Rasheed is everyone's top choice

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:09:15 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Rasheed Wallace for the MLE. Grant Hill for the LLE.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 02:12:39 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
I would love to bring Shawn Marion in here for a year or two as our sixth man on a reasonable contract.  He plays good defense on forwards and can switch onto a guard when necessary - against the Lakers, he was the one that the Heat put on Kobe.  He's an excellent rebounder for his size, he has a weird but effective shot, he's a decent passer and he doesn't turn the ball over.  That last point, in my opinion, is the biggest weakness of our bench, and I think he would alleviate that problem a bit.

Hedo wouldn't come here.  He could start for a legitimate contender in the Orlando, or he could come of the bench for a legitimate contender in Boston.  Which do you think he'd take?  

Also, what about Sheed?

EDIT:  Ok, I got beaten to the Sheed point.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 02:18:27 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Too much $$$ for 'Sheed. He's not going to get the full MLE unless it's on short years. He's not been good this year.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674

Too much $$$ for 'Sheed. He's not going to get the full MLE unless it's on short years. He's not been good this year.

I don't know that I'd take any of that team's stats without a grain of salt.  With AI coming in and destroying the identity of the team, it's really tough to tell how much of his play is reflective of AI/Stuckey's influence, and how much is a decline.