Author Topic: Jameer Nelson Injury  (Read 17941 times)

Re: Jameer Nelson Injury
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
seriously the guy isn't an all-star.   Can anyone really make a definitive declaration that Jameer Nelson is significantly better than Delonte West?  One has career averages of 10.2 points, 3.8 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 1.1 steals on 44% shooting, 38% from three and 81% from the line.

The other has career averages of 12.3 points, 4.5 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal on 46% shooting, 39% from three, 80% fromthe line.

Both are capable players.  Nelson was shooting his head off (which reminds me of Delonte's hot streak from November 2005-Jan 2006).   But I honestly think Nelson could easily come off the bench for any number of teams (much like Delonte).   

Good player... not an all-star.  This was by far the best numbers he'd ever put up in his career and statistically there are 49 players in the league outproducing him. Usually he doesn't even crack the top 100.

I'm in agreement that Jameer really isn't an all-star, but career averages mean nothing.  Making the all-star team is about what you do for the first half of a season.  And while Nelson has far exceeded expectations, those numbers aren't really all-star worthy.  And since he's arguably the 3rd or 4th best player on the 3rd best team in the East, that makes him seem even less deserving, IMO.

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
seriously the guy isn't an all-star.   Can anyone really make a definitive declaration that Jameer Nelson is significantly better than Delonte West?  One has career averages of 10.2 points, 3.8 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 1.1 steals on 44% shooting, 38% from three and 81% from the line.

The other has career averages of 12.3 points, 4.5 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal on 46% shooting, 39% from three, 80% fromthe line.

Both are capable players.  Nelson was shooting his head off (which reminds me of Delonte's hot streak from November 2005-Jan 2006).   But I honestly think Nelson could easily come off the bench for any number of teams (much like Delonte).   

Good player... not an all-star.  This was by far the best numbers he'd ever put up in his career and statistically there are 49 players in the league outproducing him. Usually he doesn't even crack the top 100.

I'm in agreement that Jameer really isn't an all-star, but career averages mean nothing.  Making the all-star team is about what you do for the first half of a season.  And while Nelson has far exceeded expectations, those numbers aren't really all-star worthy.  And since he's arguably the 3rd or 4th best player on the 3rd best team in the East, that makes him seem even less deserving, IMO.

I mean... would you rather have Jameer Nelson on your team or Andre Miller?

There are several players who I think you could have put on that team over Nelson.  Vince Carter, Iggy, Ray, Rondo, Mo Williams...   

I mean... I think Jose Calderon was more deserving.  Guy is averaging 13 points, 8.6 assists but shooting 51%/45%/98% ...   I guess that's the difference between the Raptors stinking and the Magic being good.  But would anyone seriously take Jameer Nelson over Jose Calderon?

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 03:59:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

There are several players who I think you could have put on that team over Nelson.  Vince Carter, Iggy, Ray, Rondo, Mo Williams...   

I mean... I think Jose Calderon was more deserving.  Guy is averaging 13 points, 8.6 assists but shooting 51%/45%/98% ...   I guess that's the difference between the Raptors stinking and the Magic being good.  But would anyone seriously take Jameer Nelson over Jose Calderon?

Larbrd33, I hope you understand how valuable Nelson is to the Magic this season. His status as an all-star aside, the Magic are in huge trouble at the PG position without him...
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
...They might be able to package up a bunch of short-term contracts, plus Redick and/or a 1st rounder. Indiana would probably take that kind of return for Tinsley.

With arbitration looming, I expect Indiana would even accept expiring deals and leave it at that. Bogans and Cook for Tinsley would also work. Indiana saves $14 million over the next two seasons.

Nah, I agree that Nelson is playing over his head, but he deserves the All-Star bid - with the caveat that in any given season eight to ten other deserving players are overlooked. Whether or not the Magic deserve three representatives is an entirely different issue.

As for Calderon, he'd missed too many games up to this point; his defense is much worse; and IMO accountable players shouldn't be rewarded when their teams badly under-perform (which is also my argument against Miller and Iguodala in Philly.)

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
fork orlando...they are done

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Larbrd33, I hope you understand how valuable Nelson is to the Magic this season. His status as an all-star aside, the Magic are in huge trouble at the PG position without him...

Yeah we'd be in trouble if we lost Perk too, but Perk's not an all-star either.

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 04:55:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

So, Delonte is an all star too.... ;D
I like the way u think ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Ray Allen all-star time.

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 06:31:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Ray Allen all-star time.

2nd year in a row he could be a reserve.  if i were ray, part of me would turn it down to "stick it to them" ;)

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
jose calderon is the most overated player in the nba. here's a point that is much better.. tj ford.

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 08:30:39 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I'm really happy with the Bynum and Nelson injuries... This helps the celtics quite a lot. Now if only James can get a broken foot or something.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I'm really happy with the Bynum and Nelson injuries... This helps the celtics quite a lot. Now if only James can get a broken foot or something.

Careful with the karma-- what goes around comes around.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58

Don't wish injuries on other players. Plus with Nelson out, Orlando has way less of a chance of eliminating Cleveland if they were to meet in the 2nd round. Orlando fighting Cleveland tooth and nail is to our advantage so I don't see how this injury really helps us.

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Don't wish injuries on other players. Plus with Nelson out, Orlando has way less of a chance of eliminating Cleveland if they were to meet in the 2nd round. Orlando fighting Cleveland tooth and nail is to our advantage so I don't see how this injury really helps us.

True.  But the Lakers deserve some bad luck after the Gasol trade.  At least we gave away a 20-10 stud PF/C for our All Star big man. 

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

True.  But the Lakers deserve some bad luck after the Gasol trade.  At least we gave away a 20-10 stud PF/C for our All Star big man. 
Kevin Garnett is better than Pau Gasol though. Whatever, I'm happy with how it all worked out. They got to make the Finals, we got to kick their ass. Hopefully we'll have a repeat this year.