Author Topic: What do you think about getting Marcus Camby.....  (Read 8611 times)

What do you think about getting Marcus Camby.....
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
MARCUS CAMBY!!

Since the Celtics are still in search of a big man to back up Perk and KG I think that Marcus Camby can be a strong asset that can contribute off the bench to help out with rebounding, length and shot-blocking (something that is missing at times with BBD and Powe)

He avg. 11.7 PPG, 13.2 RPG, and 2.2 BPG

What do you think of trading for or Camby? I know its a long shot with the amount of $$$$ he makes but the idea is a little worth disscussing right? He'll be more of a key component for playoff time too.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:13:17 PM by IndeedProceed »
Let's Go Celtics!!

Re: What do you think about getting.....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:32:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
MARCUS CAMBY!!

Since the Celtics are still in search of a big man to back up Perk and KG I think that Marcus Camby can be a strong asset that can contribute off the bench to help out with rebounding, length and shot-blocking (something that is missing at times with BBD and Powe)

What do you think of trading for or Camby? I know its a long shot with the amount of $$$$ he makes but the idea is a little worth disscussing right? He'll be more of a key component for playoff time too.
We don't have the assets to get him.

But its also worth pointing out that he is extremely overrated as a defender at this point in his career. He gambles for shot blocks rather than play solid defense and he is actually a very poor post defender. Which is probably our biggest need as a big man. A post defender with length to rebound/bother bigger teams when necessary.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
MARCUS CAMBY!!

But its also worth pointing out that he is extremely overrated as a defender at this point in his career. He gambles for shot blocks rather than play solid defense and he is actually a very poor post defender. Which is probably our biggest need as a big man. A post defender with length to rebound/bother bigger teams when necessary.

That is true that we do not have any assets, but I thnk the Celtics need to find some sort of big man that is a contributor on either a losing team or free agent (i.e. Camby, possibly Alonzo or PJ. but both claims to be retired). I find it difficult to rely on only BBD and Powe coming playoff time in terms of making Big man moves to disrupt shots and be  force down low on a consistant basis.

On your other point I agree he is a weak defender but the celtics defense is capable of making Marcus Camby even more of a stonger post defender with their strong help inside and out. Will soon see however
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
aaand what exactly do we trade for Mr. Camby?  I'm sure the Clips would be happy to have some combo of Veal, Tony Allen and a year's supply of Boston Baked Beans?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:49:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
MARCUS CAMBY!!

That is true that we do not have any assets, but I thnk the Celtics need to find some sort of big man that is a contributor on either a losing team or free agent (i.e. Camby, possibly Alonzo or PJ. but both claims to be retired). I find it difficult to rely on only BBD and Powe coming playoff time in terms of making Big man moves to disrupt shots and be  force down low on a consistant basis.

On your other point I agree he is a weak defender but the celtics defense is capable of making Marcus Camby even more of a stonger post defender with their strong help inside and out. Will soon see however
Help defense doesn't make you a better post defender. It can force the big man to pass the ball out but the Celtics usually don't like to double. Camby doesn't have the strong base and doesn't make the effort to fight for position early. That is the most important aspect of post defense.

Now he might be more motivated with KG and company pushing him, but players are usually who they are once they've been in the league as long as Camby.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
aaand what exactly do we trade for Mr. Camby?  I'm sure the Clips would be happy to have some combo of Veal, Tony Allen and a year's supply of Boston Baked Beans?

If Wyc offer this i can add two pounds of my coffe.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:00:42 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
We definitely need a true big b/c BBD and Powe and Pat0 are not helping against players like BIG Z, DHoward, and Bynum. I would like to see us play the Lakers without Bynum and see how well we do. And getting Camby would be awesome for us, minus his inconsistent shot from 15 feet, but we don't have any near enough assets to steal him...maybe if he was playing for memphis...it would be a different story
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »

Offline AlaaAbdelnaby

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
how about a guy like collison from okc? or channing frye from portland? or gadzuric or haywood, etc., etc. etc.

While it would be nice to have camby, we don't have the $ and I'm still thinking that Perk is our big guy now and for the future. While he might not be a top 20 center, he's still a big tough guy that we'll need for tough playoff games. I think we need more depth down on the blocks, not a front line player.

Btw, perk's attack v. detroit last week is fine in my books (relative to historic celtics play). Larry Bird, widely considered to be the fan fav. here, was one of the dirtiest nba players of all time, and it was ok b/c they were winning championships. if perk is going to be a cheap Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again., that's fine w/ me, as long as we're winning. karma will get him in the way of technicals, but his tough demeanor will make players think twice about driving.....

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:32:31 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
another nba 2k9 / nba live trade proposal... ::)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
how about a guy like collison from okc? or channing frye from portland? or gadzuric or haywood, etc., etc. etc.

While it would be nice to have camby, we don't have the $ and I'm still thinking that Perk is our big guy now and for the future. While he might not be a top 20 center, he's still a big tough guy that we'll need for tough playoff games. I think we need more depth down on the blocks, not a front line player.

Btw, perk's attack v. detroit last week is fine in my books (relative to historic celtics play). Larry Bird, widely considered to be the fan fav. here, was one of the dirtiest nba players of all time, and it was ok b/c they were winning championships. if perk is going to be a cheap ****, that's fine w/ me, as long as we're winning. karma will get him in the way of technicals, but his tough demeanor will make players think twice about driving.....

I think you might need a refresher course in Boston Celtic history.  Of the player you listed maybe Collison could help.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

And then Tony is what?
Cheap champagne? All sparkling but
a hangover waiting to happen  ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Perk is definitely a top 20 center.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
how about a guy like collison from okc? or channing frye from portland? or gadzuric or haywood, etc., etc. etc. (...)

No to Gadzuric or Frye, meh to Collison.

How the heck is Haywood so underrated? Especially by Boston fans, who can certainly understand the value of a good defensive center.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
how about a guy like collison from okc? or channing frye from portland? or gadzuric or haywood, etc., etc. etc. (...)

No to Gadzuric or Frye, meh to Collison.

How the heck is Haywood so underrated? Especially by Boston fans, who can certainly understand the value of a good defensive center.

Is Haywood even playing this year? I thought he was pretty much out for the season.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186

We could also throw in a couple kegs of Sam Adams, a few pounds of lobster and Lucky.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!