Author Topic: TA and Scals for Przybilla  (Read 7084 times)

Re: TA and Scals for Przybilla
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 08:01:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
They might consider it with the Miles situation.

Uh? Why? They would never consider this. Przybilla would start for plenty of teams in the league, why would they trade him for Tony Allen and Scalabrine? They wouldn't trade him for our entire bench.

Not saying that they would do it, but one can't underestimate the value of monetary incentives. Maybe add some players/picks to better the deal, but Scal and Tony should be a decent starting point for them to start considering it (though they probably could get better deals elsewhere).

This is dependant on various things, how much they value their back-up center and how much do they envision paying for such a player. Secondly, adding Tony and Scal should make it easier for them to trade away some guards and forwards that they apparently have intentions of moving.

Third, it involves their plans for the 2010 free-agent season and if they consider that Pryz's contract might cause some trouble. Not saying that it will or that it won't, but it will be a factor in their decision on how to move forward.

Anyways, from our side I'd be a bit reluctant to part ways with both Tony and Scal this season in particular. I might consider a package centered around one of them, but I think giving away the only real perimeter PF we have and our "best" wing defender off the bench might not be in our best interest even with the improvement at the back-up center position. It would be dependant on who else we can add to our team with the open roster spot/s.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:09:57 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
They might consider it with the Miles situation.

Uh? Why? They would never consider this. Przybilla would start for plenty of teams in the league, why would they trade him for Tony Allen and Scalabrine? They wouldn't trade him for our entire bench.

Not saying that they would do it, but one can't underestimate the value of monetary incentives. Maybe add some players/picks to better the deal, but Scal and Tony should be a decent starting point for them to start considering it (though they probably could get better deals elsewhere).

This is dependant on various things, how much they value their back-up center and how much do they envision paying for such a player. Secondly, adding Tony and Scal should make it easier for them to trade away some guards and forwards that they apparently have intentions of moving.

Third, it involves their plans for the 2010 free-agent season and if they consider that Pryz's contract might cause some trouble. Not saying that it will or that it won't, but it will be a factor in their decision on how to move forward.

Anyways, from our side I'd be a bit reluctant to part ways with both Tony and Scal this season in particular. I might consider a package centered around one of them, but I think giving away the only real perimeter PF we have and our "best" wing defender off the bench might not be in our best interest even with the improvement at the back-up center position. It would be dependant on who else we can add to our team with the open roster spot/s.

Trust me, they aren't struggling for money.  While the money they owe Miles certainly didn't make them happy (since they thought they were free of it), it is not going to all of a sudden turn them into a team desperate to save cash.

But really this all comes down to Przybilla.  I think anyone who thinks Portland would do this trade is just underestimating how good he is.  I think he compares favorably to Perk, and would be a starter on probably 15 teams in the league right now (maybe more).  Would you trade Perk for Scal and Tony?

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I know they aren't struggling for money, but if by their calculations trading Pryzbilla away allows them to sign an extra great/good player in the free-agent market, they might be inclined to do it. This is not really about saving cash, but becoming even bigger players in free-agency. Those are the things they have to weight. Again, not saying it would be the correct choice, but certainly some considerations should be given... especially since Pryz's playing time has been on a downward trend.

And as I said, other things factor in it like their willingness to trade some guards and forwards that they apparently want to move. So you might take a blow in this particular trade, but improve your chances of gaining good players elsewhere... that's what they have to consider, and I'm no position to evaluate their situation and opportunities. You know, do one of those Ainge trades that look bad at the moment, but payoff quite well in the future?

If I would trade Perk for Scal and Tony? No sense in answering this since teams circumstances are different.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:36:25 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I know they aren't struggling for money, but if by their calculations trading Pryzbilla away allows them to sign an extra great/good player in the free-agent market, they might be inclined to do it. This is not really about saving cash, but becoming even bigger players in free-agency. Those are the things they have to weight.

How? Scal and Tony are still on the books next season and it's in the next off-season they can be players in the FA market, not in 2010. No way this deal helps them.

Anyway, Pryzbilla is a very good player with a cost controlled salary, they certainly won't trade him for an expiring.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
No, they wouldn't consider this.  As much as I like what Scal has done for the C's this year, neither player would come close to cracking Portland's rotation, while Przybilla is the best (and that is not an exageration) backup Center in the league.
When has Pryzbilla ever shut down Amar'e Stoudamire? Scals is obviously the best back up center in the league. ;)

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 01:26:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I know they aren't struggling for money, but if by their calculations trading Pryzbilla away allows them to sign an extra great/good player in the free-agent market, they might be inclined to do it. This is not really about saving cash, but becoming even bigger players in free-agency. Those are the things they have to weight.

How? Scal and Tony are still on the books next season and it's in the next off-season they can be players in the FA market, not in 2010. No way this deal helps them.

Anyway, Pryzbilla is a very good player with a cost controlled salary, they certainly won't trade him for an expiring.

The 2010 free-agency is for the 2010-2011 season, and they'll be MAJOR players in that offseason, not in this coming one. For that offseason, which is the offseason everyone is looking forward to, Pryz has a 7 million player option, and there's no doubt in my mind that they should be able to get better trades for him, but that doesn't negate the fact that there could be a financial motivation here as they look forward to that offseason, especially if they consider that making this move allows them to make subsequent moves with other players (like Outlaw and Sergio who they might be interested in moving) and if they calculate that those 7 million might prevent them from being even bigger players in the market, when they'll probably have to negotiate with their own Brandon Roy and Lamarcus.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 02:51:18 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Wouldn't BBD or Powe be valuable to them - either guy could play next to Aldridge or Oden. Presumably BBD because he could play C and has shown comfort in both high and low post.

Anyways, someone great with the trade machine, can probably find a way to work in a third team and make it happen. POR has a full roster so they probably don't want a 3 for 1 either. Maybe they could take 3 mill and buy out scal (moving his cap number to 1.5) and then we could resign him for the minimum?

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
if ainge offered portland gm's this deal he'll think he was pranking him.

Re: TA and Scals for
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't really think that's a good trade for Boston. The way Scal is playing no way! Losing two players in our rotation for a big center with limited offense skills one POB is enough. How about TA 4 Przybilla if it's permissible?

comparing POB and przybilla like there equal might be the funniest thing ive heard all day.

This would be a no brainer for the C's, but portland will not do it, nor should they.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion