Author Topic: Can luke jackson play d in our system? if so...  (Read 10651 times)

Re: Can luke jackson play d in our system? if so...
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
we don't need help at the three. heavn't you heard? Scal is really good, he plays GREAT d. he's really SMART. and he's an AWESOME teammate.

I bet Scal could be D-League player of the week at some point if he were in that league.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »

Offline MattD

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
jackson has bounced around the league for years. while he has never found a good fit at the NBA level he is tearing it up in the d league.

while i would rather have a proven defender backing up pierce (j. moon) i wonder if danny would take a chance on the 6'7" sharpshooter.
I never really saw enough of Jackson to get a feel for his game, but re: "sharpshooter," note that Bill Walker's 3pt percentage in the D-League this year is almost exactly the same as Luke Jackson's (both are about 39%).

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 03:19:47 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
jackson has bounced around the league for years. while he has never found a good fit at the NBA level he is tearing it up in the d league.

while i would rather have a proven defender backing up pierce (j. moon) i wonder if danny would take a chance on the 6'7" sharpshooter.
I never really saw enough of Jackson to get a feel for his game, but re: "sharpshooter," note that Bill Walker's 3pt percentage in the D-League this year is almost exactly the same as Luke Jackson's (both are about 39%).

Yes, and not a whole lot different than Scal's who has done it playing with the grown-ups. Plus as ssspence pointed out dripping sarcasm, he does know how to play defense, better than either one of these guys we are discussing. If only Scal wasn't a pasty white kind of chubby guy making vet minimum he'd be one of the blogs favorites...

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I like Luke Jackson, and I wouldn't mind at least a 10 day contract, as it seems Ainge has yet to take advantage of those. But besides Skywalker, what about trading Tony Allen for Sefelosha? Our team is playing better w/o Tony, and believe it or not...Scalagarbage is playing good...great for his role. He spots up for 3's, plays close up D, and looks for the pass first. But just to solidify our SF position, and add a player w/ length, I would love to take Sefelosha. He has a decent shot, has 3 point range, and can actually play SF. The salaries match, so why not?

And a side note. TP for the one who started this thread only to be bashed by all us bloggers. It seems we've all picked up Ainge's rejection habits and pick and poke at every player mentioned, and say there's someone better, but yet we never can name better players that can actually be traded for or signed.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 12:26:59 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
easy gent's

i noticed that he won the NBDL player of the week award.
also noticed we are lacking depth at the three. i know there are better players out there but few are available and fewer that could be acquired for cash.

my question (poorly articulated) was more along the lines of can a bit player like jackson find success in the right system.

anyway
fire away...

I hear you arctic.   But isn't Luke Jackson a poor man's Adam Morrison?

he's the welfare version...

luke jackson doesn't appear to fit into anyone's system...

but i'm still holding out hope for kris clack...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The only thing Moon has proved in regards to defence is that he's not very good.

That said, the OP makes a good point: the destiny of plenty of players depends a lot on the kind of situation they're put. Some guys are completely useless when they're in a certain environment but thrive if they're in a situation where everything fits. I believe this is way more common that conventional wisdom states. However, I don't think Jackson is one of these cases. He's just a sub-par basketball player.

I agree that Nachbar would be a better fit. If I was picking a player currently outside the NBA, I'd go with Delfino though (in fact, I'd go with Romain Sato, but that one is not acquirable).

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 01:36:33 AM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Luke Jackson? Sure he didn't make the cut before but...

Sherm Douglass isn't walking through that door, Dee Brown isn't walking through that door...

Vitali Potopenko isn't walking through that door, Jiri Welsch isn't walking through that door, Dino Radja isn't walking through that door...

so let's pick him up and throw him out there with Cassell after he sheds his skin to lose the bacteria that's been hurting his jump shot.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 07:50:31 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Yes, and not a whole lot different than Scal's who has done it playing with the grown-ups. Plus as ssspence pointed out dripping sarcasm, he does know how to play defense, better than either one of these guys we are discussing. If only Scal wasn't a pasty white kind of chubby guy making vet minimum he'd be one of the blogs favorites...

sorry, just can't help myself. i acknowledge scal's defense but think we all get too carried away making him into something that he's not just because he isn't completely worthless. he'll prob end up being a solid contributor throughout the year. not like i wanna ditch him in lieu of luke jackson...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
We can't have any more projects on our team plus at whose expense would it be on the roster.  Our roster is full remember so unless if we cut someone or do a 2 for 1 or a 1 for draft pick type of trade we can't take on a risk like Luke Jackson.  I'd rather that "risk" player at the 3 be Bill Walker and keep Sam on the roster as insurance. 

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 08:20:26 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
since we're having a love affair with jackson...jiri welsch anyone?  ;)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
We've already been here and it didn't work out.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 09:54:25 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
fred roberts gets my vote  ;D
I think he is a good guy to have near the end of bench BUT we have PP, Scal & TA in situations and someone who I think is better in the wings, Walker for sf.  As someone stated previously Luke was here before, I don't dislike him but I don't think he specializes in anything.  He is a poor mans Scal but can only play 1 posistion.  Scal can play 3 in situations. kudos to scal!
I think we need to address a c/pf vet more than a 3rd or 4th string sf.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »

Offline Jirimania

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3

Jiri Welsch... the one that got away. (Slams head against keyboard)

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 10:30:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
fred roberts gets my vote  ;D

I might be wrong, but I don't think Fred Roberts ever officially retired from the league.

Just sayin...

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I think Luke would trump Scals as the whitest dude on the team.   ;D