Author Topic: Jeff Adrien will be a second round/undrafted steal  (Read 2963 times)

Jeff Adrien will be a second round/undrafted steal
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:26:36 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Now I was thinking about making this post before last nights UConn/Notre Dame game where Jeff Adrien had 19 rebounds against a top 20 team with a 45 game home winning streak and an All American low post player, but I think Jeff Adrien is going to be a second round or undrafted steal.

NBADraft.net has him going #46 and compares him to Jason Maxiell (another solid pro and draft steal IMO)

DraftExpress (along with Redz' Dad's Mock Draft http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=23360.0) doesn't even have him getting drafted.

He's a 6'7" 245lb work horse, the type of players who continually get slept on but always seems to make good pros - Udonis Haslem, Don Reid, Jason Maxiell, Clarence Weatherspoon, Leon Powe, Malik Rose, etc. 

He was All Big East First team last year (and likely again this year) and it's not like the Big East is some joke conference.  If anything the Big East style as a whole is probably the closest thing to the NBA style.

In his last 5 games he's had 19, 14, 12, 11, and 12 rebounds, all against Big East teams.

He's a 4 year player in an NBA factory program, and knows his role.  He's developed a decent 15 foot jump shot too.

I think he's going to get slept on, but whoever picks him up will be getting a steal and a fan favorite for his hard work style.  At the worst I think he'll be the kind of role player every team needs at the 9-12 roster spots.  As of now the C's have no need for him with Baby and Powe, but if one of them got traded away, we could pick up Adrien over the summer and not miss a beat.

Not talking about Adrien on the C's, but do you guys think he would make a good NBA pro?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 12:40:00 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Jeff Adrien will be a second round/undrafted steal
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I was thinking the same thing after watching the UConn-Villanova game... He's the Big East's leading active double-double guy. I completely agree that he's the kind of guy that can claim a contributing spot on a pro roster just through hustle plays, rebounding, and (improved) defense. All indications are though that he has the work ethic to do it.

Plus, he's a local kid (Brookline) so that's always good to see.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »

Offline Pierce4Prez

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • They're gonna call it a hard foul!?!?
At the moment Adrien would probably be a bit redundant with Leon Powe and Big Baby on the roster, but...
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that Leon and Big Baby's contracts are both up after this season. As much as I love both of these guys and what they bring to the team you would have to expect that with some steady improvement throughout the rest of the season some team will overpay for at least one of them during the offseason.

Jeff Adrien would absolutely be a more than capable replacement for either guy. Looks like he could be available when our second round pick comes up and if not we could probably get him for cash considerations, a la Bill Walker.  Adrien would undoubtedly be an instant fan favorite with his blue-collar style of play and the hometown connection.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:35:02 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Im not sure how i feel about Jeff as a pro. Adrien is a productive college power forward, but im just not sure if it will translate to the pros. He is listed at 6'7", but i think he is much shorter. I have a UCONN poster that lists him at 6'4". He is a very hard worker and has an enormous wing span. He does work on the boards and has a nice little aray of low post moves. I think he might be too small to play in the league (granted thats been said of many a player in the NBA).

All that being said, i could see him playing in the NFL. Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzolez were both college bball players that turned into very productive NFL tight ends. Adrien has good height and thickness for a tight end, and his huge arms and hands will be an asset as a pass catcher. I know it is a big long shot but its just an idea.
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace